• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

OLD BIRMINGHAM PHOTOS FROM STEVEBHx

Finally a few pictures from a project I am sorting for Lyn

St Pauls Tavern

View attachment 159040
just to explain that my brother was given a shed load of negatives a few years ago taken by a friend of his....his friend took photos of old photos and may already have been seen before as i have a few of his developed photos which i put on the forum some years ago but most of them wont have been seen before..they were taken by my brothers friend probably from late 60s upwards...some may have locations some may not so its a bit of a lottery really...both myself and my brother would have no idea or the equipment to take the photos off the negatives so steve very kindly offered to take up the challenge rather than just leave them in the folders never to be seen..it will be a long process for steve and could take months of work because steve works so can only do this in his spare time so many thanks steve you are a star

lyn

Last edited:
Hello, could anyone confirm that the red star on the building was the Midland Counties Dairy bottling factory on the Bagot Street & Corporation Street corner ?
thank you Pauline.
I can remember my Dad taking me to see the milk bottling factory which was seemingly built for public view of safe processing at the dairy. Also was Raleigh cycle factory near the fire station?

just to explain that my brother was given a shed load of negatives a few years ago taken by a friend of his....his friend took photos of old photos and may already have been seen before as i have a few of his developed photos which i put on the forum some years ago but most of them wont have been seen before..they were taken by my brothers friend probably from late 60s upwards...some may have locations some may not so its a bit of a lottery really...both myself and my brother would have no idea or the equipment to take the photos off the negatives so steve very kindly offered to take up the challenge rather than just leave them in the folders never to be seen..it will be a long process for steve and could take months of work because steve works so can only do this in his spare time so many thanks steve you are a star

lyn
Super, thank you Steve

I along with other member is very grateful for the amount of photo's Steve has posted, I am also very grateful that Steve did not donate these small pieces of our history to the Library of Birmingham, if he had they would not have seen the light of day again like all the others they hold..Thank you Steve

I along with other member is very grateful for the amount of photo's Steve has posted, I am also very grateful that Steve did not donate these small pieces of our history to the Library of Birmingham, if he had they would not have seen the light of day again like all the others they hold..Thank you Steve
well said john i totally agree with you...there is no way i would lodge anything in the library now...far better we post what we have on this forum for all the world to see..history is for sharing not for hiding away..

lyn

well said john i totally agree with you...there is no way i would lodge anything in the library now...far better we post what we have on this forum for all the world to see..history is for sharing not for hiding away..

lyn
Thanks for the kind words, it is a labour of love, just lack of time!!
I know I have said this before but as we have new people on board, the images were rescued from been thrown out in a council office move. The colour images are from a CD of Geoff Thompsons slides copied by Mark Norton, the black and white images are photos saved and scanned by me of rescued images, I also have slides that will be scanned sometime. I like to give due credit where I am able. Thanks Steve

So this is Great Bridge Street, but no year but I am sure someone will work it out.
There is interest all over the picture, working from the left, the blind over the shop window - are those pull down blinds upstairs? and the attic windows. The sign in the alleyway, the two children, bricked up windows. Lovely brickwork - the wraparound shop front. The blocked out wall sign, the row of houses, a lamp and two lorries with milk churns(?)

Test452.jpg

Very much all stages of redevelopment here, the old terraces, the vacant land, a mix of the two and the new builds, not quite high rise but the start, three arms on the building so distinctive design. As always no year and a lack of location , so a call for assistance as usual. Just noticed the piecemeal demolition at the back of the picture, so standing and some gone.

Test330 1.jpg

All I have for this picture is Glebe 1969, I have heard of it so I am sure you will have although I have no idea where it is!

Main feature is the Radio and Television shop, featuring products from , Murphy, Bush and Ferguson - where are they now, and a washing machine with a mangle(?) on the top ( sorry not up on these modern attachments!). Judging by the children, mom must be in the butchers, and further along is hardware store with incinerators, brushes and mops outside. Finally on the extreme right it looks like there is a little old lady just leaving the Ansells pub. Sorry just noticed all the pigeons on the roof at the end .

Glebe - 1969.jpg

All I have for this picture is Glebe 1969, I have heard of it so I am sure you will have although I have no idea where it is!

Main feature is the Radio and Television shop, featuring products from , Murphy, Bush and Ferguson - where are they now, and a washing machine with a mangle(?) on the top ( sorry not up on these modern attachments!). Judging by the children, mom must be in the butchers, and further along is hardware store with incinerators, brushes and mops outside. Finally on the extreme right it looks like there is a little old lady just leaving the Ansells pub. Sorry just noticed all the pigeons on the roof at the end .

View attachment 159110
A more recent photo can be found here: https://billdargue.jimdofree.com/placenames-gazetteer-a-to-y/places-g/glebe-farm/

Not certain about Bush, but Ferguson was one of those brands that were swept up into the Thorn EMI Group of companies.

A reminiscence, if I may: In the late 1980s the firm I worked for and a Thorn company were involved in a joint venture, and I received an invitation from them to a day out at the British Open golf. Turnberry I think. Following a night in a hotel and an early breakfast we arrived at the course and went straight to the Thorn group marquee for a quick coffee. There were TV sets spread around showing the play, all made by Philips! I said to my friend, “have you noticed the brand of the TVs in here?” He muttered a word I won’t print here, and disappeared for ten minutes. We then followed the play until mid morning, and returned to the marquee for a stiffener.

Every single TV had become a Ferguson.

Last edited:
Not certain about Bush, but Ferguson was one of those brands that were swept up into the Thorn EMI Group of companies.

A reminiscence, if I may: In the late 1980s the firm I worked for and a Thorn company were involved in a joint venture, and I received an invitation from them to a day out at the British Open golf. Turnberry I think. Following a night in a hotel and an early breakfast we arrived at the course and went straight to the Thorn group marquee for a quick coffee. There were TV sets spread around showing the play, all made by Philips! I said to my friend, “have you noticed the brand of the TVs in here?” He muttered a word I won’t print here, and disappeared for ten minutes. We then followed the play until mid morning, and returned to the marquee for a stiffener.

Every single TV had become a Ferguson.
I did hear a rumour that the insides of most TVs come from two factories in China .

So this is Great Bridge Street, but no year but I am sure someone will work it out.
There is interest all over the picture, working from the left, the blind over the shop window - are those pull down blinds upstairs? and the attic windows. The sign in the alleyway, the two children, bricked up windows. Lovely brickwork - the wraparound shop front. The blocked out wall sign, the row of houses, a lamp and two lorries with milk churns(?)

View attachment 159108

Maybe there was a fire in the house with the bricked up window? The walls and upstairs windows look rather sooty.

Very much all stages of redevelopment here, the old terraces, the vacant land, a mix of the two and the new builds, not quite high rise but the start, three arms on the building so distinctive design. As always no year and a lack of location , so a call for assistance as usual. Just noticed the piecemeal demolition at the back of the picture, so standing and some gone.

View attachment 159109
Good morning, it took a few minutes to work out the exact location for Steve's picture: the road running L-R across the centre, dividing old and new, is Great Colmore Street. The new and distinctive maisonettes are still there today. They were completed by 1965. The two roads surrounding the maisonettes are Grant Street & Wynn Street.

View attachment 159108
Gloo & Martin Boot Manufacturer ( or something similar?)

View attachment 159109
Hi I believe the triangle is Great Colmore street , Grant street and Wyn street . The blocks are lansdown house, Nash house, and Avon house built in the 1950’s

View attachment 159108
There was, to my knowledge, never a great bridge st in Brum. It must be West Bromwich

View attachment 159108
Could it be Gt. Brook Street?, I have highlighted the ghost sign which does look like 'Glog & Malting, Boot Manufacturers' could be 'Clog'?

Attachments

• Gt-Brook-st-perhaps.jpg
    Gt-Brook-st-perhaps.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 41
Back