• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Bordesley Green Grammar Technical School

I'm new to this but what a great picture. I was there 1958-1963. I remember most of this lot. 'Sid' Screen was our form teacher, nice chap but hopeless at keeping control. Unlike some of them who used to scare the life out of me. 'Mole' showed my chemistry shortcomings up so badly in front of class that I started to learn it by rote. Eventually I became quite good at it & ended up with a career in it. Anybody remember Grimmett throwing poor homework books out the window into the quadrangle? David Quick
I'm also new to this forum, this being my first post. I started @ BG in the Easter of 1959 ( I thnk), Mr.Green was our form ( 3E) master. Thank you to everyone who contributed to naming the teachers, as I have one of these panoramic photo's which my grandchildren find interesting, looking for me in the crowd - I must say I have difficulty now as well. Reference the previous replies concerning Killer Gilbert, I took Metalwork at A-Level and I recall one of the project being to make a hand held vice, from an O-Level Technical Drawing question. This involved smelting down carburetter float chambers and casting the aluminium base, having first learned what a cope & drag were and actually making the long screw on a lathe. My regret being that I've lost this at some point during one of my house moves.
I'm new to this but what a great picture. I was there 1958-1963. I remember most of this lot. 'Sid' Screen was our form teacher, nice chap but hopeless at keeping control. Unlike some of them who used to scare the life out of me. 'Mole' showed my chemistry shortcomings up so badly in front of class that I started to learn it by rote. Eventually I became quite good at it & ended up with a career in it. Anybody remember Grimmett throwing poor homework books out the window into the quadrangle? David Quick

In my class was Eric Botterill from down Saltley somewhere. His claim to fame was that he had an uncle who worked at Saltley "sheds" as they were called then. We used to rush down there at dinner time and he would let us "bunk the shed" (no euphonism! ) which meant we went back to school absolutely minging from all the coal and ash dust. One day Eric came to school all of a lather because his uncle had told him that Evening Star was on the shed and not likely to be leaving until midnight. I think that, at the time, it was based at Immingham or some such exotic sounding place up north so it was extra rare. I think it was the least closely guarded secret because by the time we arrived at Saltley there was almost a queue of spotters forming to "cab" it. Anyway we eventually managed to climb aboard. What a thrill.

Hi this is my first visit so be gentle with me.
I attended BGTS from 1973 until 1978. It changed to Arden if my memory serves at the start of my second year, ie 1974. This is when we were amalgamated with Cherrywood School. Nothing change initally as we seemed to run as two seperate schools. I think staff and pupils were happy to keep it that way. I loved my time there when it was a true Grammar school but in the last 12 months the school descended to become just another secondary modern. uniforms went out of the window as did the discipline. I got the impression that most of the original BGTS teachers gave up and so did I.
Teachers there during my time. Mr Grainger (Eggo). Mr Tapp.(my form tutor). Mr Eastman ? (Basil). Mr Stanton (geography) Mr Sandford (TD). Mr Brayley Willmetts our Football coach. Mr Jones (PE).Science teacher nicknamed Cracker cant remember his name but he kept setting fire to his sleeve on the bunsen burner. Mr Elm (biology) vicious with slipper in hand. Mr Burbage, Mr Hipwell, Mr Highfield (art) for some reason he hated me.Of course not forgetting Killer he frightened the life out of me and seeing picture of him on friends reunited sent a shiver down my spine.Although i now believe we need more teachers like him in schools today. My headmasters name escapes me for now but i have a clear mental image of him. Deputy Head was also fearsome and his name was Richards.............i have just remembered the Heads name I think it was Mr Massey (Top Bloke) even though he caned me on more than one occasion.
I was also at the change over from the Grammar School to Comprehensive. I was at Cherrywood Secondary Modern (1973-74), and recall the name changing to Arden Comprehensive. My recollection puts this changeover in 1975, for I too was in my second year. A strong memory because I changed school in Feb 1976 when my family moved out of the area. I think the decision to merge the two schools was taken 1974. I recall my mother being disappointed that I ended-up at Cherrywood but was 'pleased' I would be going to the school at the end of the road, Denbigh Street.

However, memories fade and facts become confused over time.

Cross postings: these appear to be connected to Grammar/Secondary Modern Schools -> Arden Comprehensive:

cfam

Last edited:
Killer was Mr Gilbert. Drove a blue triumph up the drive very fast
I attended school from 1958 to 1965
Played in goal in when we won the Birmingham championship at Harvey road and the federation cup near Villa park
I remember, Roger Allan, Laurie Paterson, Tony Owen, Ken Morgan

Did anyone out there attend Bordesley Green Technical School?

I went there from 1960 to 1963.
I remember a few of the teachers, one of them was nicknamed 'Killer', can't remember his proper name.
He taught metalwork and I dreaded him being on playground duty at break time. He used to wave a welding rod when it was time to go back in and if you were a bit late you got a whack on the backside with it.

I also remember the headmaster - Mr Brown.
He was very strict and if you were caught having a crafty smoke, that was it- expelled.

Happy days!

Sparky

Goalie,
Here are Roger Allen, Laurie Paterson, and Ray Morgan when they played for Redhill United, a Sunday League team, which I believe you were the regular goalkeeper for ...

Attachments

• Redhill, Sunday League Team (Original) (1240 x 972) - Copy.jpg
    Redhill, Sunday League Team (Original) (1240 x 972) - Copy.jpg
    410.9 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
I attended school from 1958 to 1965
Played in goal in when we won the Birmingham championship at Harvey road and the federation cup near Villa park
I remember, Roger Allan, Laurie Paterson, Tony Owen, Ken Morgan
Tony Annis?

Attachments

• First XI  1964-65 - Copy - Copy.JPG
    First XI 1964-65 - Copy - Copy.JPG
    129.1 KB · Views: 20
Hi Rupert
I was there between 1957 and 1964 (ish). My best mate was Eddie Holden (still in touch), good friends with Dave Purser and Jim Wesley. Here's me in the football team. Sorry about the quality, I used the Friends Reunited pic. I've got an original but it's up in the loft.
Remember that you and Eddie were the only car owners in sixth form.how times have changed.
Jim and I worked on building site at Cannon Hill after leaving school in 1965
Tony Annis

Good to hesr from you Tony. I imagine we're both enjoying our retirement now. I've lived in Banbury for the last 24 years. Where are you? By the way, David Benbow notified me that you had posted!

Good to hesr from you Tony. I imagine we're both enjoying our retirement now. I've lived in Banbury for the last 24 years. Where are you? By the way, David Benbow notified me that you had posted!
Hi Dave & Tony,

Have just spent a few moments whilst eating a sandwich for lunch, reminicing to myself about those 'good old days' at BGTS and subsequently playing for BGTS Old Boys - the team I'm sure you remember, organised and run by Laurie Patterson's dad. I trust you are both safe and well in these still uncertain times. I presume you're both retired by now (?), I'm not, still involved with the software business I setup in 1978, although my son Andrew now runs it. Do get in touch if you feel it would be good to meet up perhaps for a drink or two : [email protected] ( 07834-120803 )

Hi Dave & Tony,

Have just spent a few moments whilst eating a sandwich for lunch, reminicing to myself about those 'good old days' at BGTS and subsequently playing for BGTS Old Boys - the team I'm sure you remember, organised and run by Laurie Patterson's dad. I trust you are both safe and well in these still uncertain times. I presume you're both retired by now (?), I'm not, still involved with the software business I setup in 1978, although my son Andrew now runs it. Do get in touch if you feel it would be good to meet up perhaps for a drink or two : [email protected] ( 07834-120803 )
Hi Neil

Thank you for post on the forum. We strongly advise members not to post their personal email addresses on the thread. Your email address and data could be harvested and used for scams, fraud, and identity theft. If you wish other members to contact you, then its best if you advise them to use the “Start Conversation” facility we provide. This then protects you and your privacy.

Hi Guys. Anyone remember Bob Edge? He was a mate of mine from 1956 till I left in 1961. John Lawless here, now retired in Hungary.
Lost touch with everyone when l left and went into farming. Would love to hear from any of my old schoolmates and hear what they've done with their lives.

I'm also new to this forum, this being my first post. I started @ BG in the Easter of 1959 ( I thnk), Mr.Green was our form ( 3E) master. Thank you to everyone who contributed to naming the teachers, as I have one of these panoramic photo's which my grandchildren find interesting, looking for me in the crowd - I must say I have difficulty now as well. Reference the previous replies concerning Killer Gilbert, I took Metalwork at A-Level and I recall one of the project being to make a hand held vice, from an O-Level Technical Drawing question. This involved smelting down carburetter float chambers and casting the aluminium base, having first learned what a cope & drag were and actually making the long screw on a lathe. My regret being that I've lost this at some point during one of my house moves.
Another newly here. I went to the school from 1966 - 1973. School mates included Vic Sayers, Terry Ward, Mark Gibbs, Dave Forletta, Pete Gould, Malcolm Barnfield, Martin Rather, Gary Moore, Rob Eaton, Martin O'Gorman, to name a few. So many teachers had their own style of punishment. We had an excellent football team. Hope to hear from others who started in the 1966 cohort.

Anybody remember the small pink exam papers we used to get form UoL? These are from 1963.

Attachments

• 1960s, Bordesley Green Tech, exam papers.jpg
    1960s, Bordesley Green Tech, exam papers.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 9
I finally got round to reading earlier pages on the BGTS thread. It's interesting to read varying opinions on the, shall we call it, 'robust' behaviour of the teaching staff, (we used to call them masters in those days). Some contributors to the thread make reference to bullying behaviour, gratuitous violence, and even ABH. I guess it hinges on your sensitivity as well as your individual personal experience as to how you see it. I must say, although I don't regret the experience, I do not look back on my time there with any fondness (1958-1964). This was more to do with not coping with the workload than anything else. It was pretty unforgiving if you if you couldn't keep up. As to the rest of their antics, most of us took things in our stride because we never new anything else. But did it really do us any harm? Life was harder for everyone then and as kids in those days we didn't expect much. Most of that teaching staff generation would have done national service (or even seen action in the war) and the forces discipline instilled in them probably carried over into the way they behaved in teaching. Suffice to say, such practices cerainly wouldn't hold up with the delicate youth generation of today.

Fair comment that is was happened back then and we knew no different . Hindsight is a wonderful thing and people just got on with it. You cannot change what happened back then. That is how it was .

Back