• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Coca cola

carolina

master brummie
I spilt coca cola over my keyboard yesterday I managed to tip and mop up some of it but today its not turning on. Does this mean my laptop is kaput. Please help

Some are made to resist spills Carolina but sugary soft drinks are probably the worst for keyboards, not much you can do yourself (Unless you're a computer geek) you need someone knowledgeable to try to repair it.

Carol,

Coca Cola is good for cleaning coins, so I shudder to think what it will do to the printed circuit board tracks, apart from the fact that it conducts electricity and thus will short out sensitive components. Someone with a large ultrasonic cleaning bath may be able to undo some of the damage, but there will always be the possibility of shorts which could have damaged individual components. Most large computer service companies have the facilities - pick one close to you to keep the cost down, but there's no guarantee for a good outcome.

Maurice :cool:

Last edited:
Screens do not like it either. I once opened a can in front of my works computer and it splashed a drop onto the corner of the screen (only about 2mm accross. Screen then had littel imperfection for the rs
est of its life

Its all the data on the damaged one I need to transfer.
It's unlikely the data will have been lost. Best solution is probably to buy a 2.5in hard drive enclosure for the existing drive (but check the connection cable as some of the new laptops have different usb sockets!). Then when you've transferred your data you can use it to back up your files.
During my time as a school ICT technician I experienced quite a few similar disasters. Water was sometimes fatal (depends how far it got into the works) but coca-cola and red wine were pretty well always fatal. (I'm referring to teachers not students!!!

Last edited:
The favourite one here, of course, is dropping mobile phones into sea water. Most of the phone shops have small ultrasonic baths big enough for a phone, but success rate is only about 50% so I am told, and getting spare parts during the pandemic was almost impossible. Another good reason to not like laptops - with a desktop machine you are generally only writing off a £5 keyboard!

Maurice :cool:

Just a thought Carolina - if you have house/contents with accidental damage cover it may be worth claiming. My son's partner spilt a cup of coffee over his 2 day old Apple-Mac (yes they're still together!) and the insurance company had it fixed. I guess it may depend on how old the laptop is.

Insurance claim or not, Jukebox definitely has valuable advice, however keyboard (which often has a 'tray' underneath to shield the motherboard and in itself could prevent boot-up) may be replaceable at little cost. Make & model?

Been onto insurance and very helpful with excess to pay and like for like im only £179 better off and probably at renewal my premium will go up. Pc world have deals pay in 9months time so that seems a better offer plus will buy a hard drive for back up in future. Curly its an HP 14" screen 2 years old

Please do not buy from Currys/PC world. HP keyboards, depending on model can cost up to £20 on eBay, sadly I do not have a spare one to try in your laptop otherwise I would have looked at it for you. External USB caddies for your old hard drive are around £10 - £15

I posted this in 2020 ... ;)
My Dell Inspiron 5770 laptop, 17" screen, SSD+1TB HDD, fingerprint log-in, DVD drive, full-size keyboard, and i5 CPU, plus the 50" Sony TV behind it, photographed using an iPhone I7 were all bought at Currys/PC World. Specifications well researched before I bought them to get exactly what I wanted ... :grinning:
index.php

Showing Win 10 Start on Screen

Back