• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Brougham Street, Lozells

welcome kentona this is great...2 new members posting on the brougham st thread..what number did you live at we have a few photos of the street on this thread so hope you have seen them...enjoy

lyn

hello barnowl and welcome...if you have any photos of brougham st we would love to see them....when did you leave the street...i was in villa st until 1972

lyn
I have one of my dad pushing me down the road in my pram one Sunday I will see what I can do.

hi barnowl that would be great if you could post any photos you may have...will look forward to that....cheers

lyn

Hello Barnowl 1, your post bought back great memories for me, i lived in Brougham St and I remember both your Grandmother and your Mom and Dad, Barbara and Denise, If i remember correctly you left Brougham St and your Mom and Dad took on a Dillons newsagents over in the Kingstanding area, and i think they moved then to Telford.
My fondest memory is of the young baby boy, i think called Alan, who as a baby, was sometimes outside of No 6 in his pram, Im not sure how old i was at the time, I would stop and talk to him and as i went off and around into Wills St we would call to each other until we were out of range. Happy days
PS Harry Gower is a nom de plume

Last edited:
In the coming days I'm sure I'll get an inspiration to post some more memories of the Street but for now I thought I'd mention a few names of kids from the local gang who I have fond memories of.

Already mentioned has been Freddy Round, Brian Bowler, Tim and Andy Beale.

And then there was Patrick and Anne Farell who lived next door to Fred. Two doors down again was the Jones Brothers, Terry, Graham and Frank.

At the top end of the Street, near Hurlstons shop was Alice Forun who I went to St Francis infants with. In fact, I had an email from Alice's younger brother Brian who I know lurks here. Come on Brian, jump in and post some memories. Brian tells me that Alice now lives on the Isle of Wight. I'm really looking forward to a possible email from her.

Further down the Street was Sindy Singh a little Sikh kid. Sindy was dead cool because he had real long hair tied up in a bobble well before any of us aspiring Hippies thought of it! Next door again from Sindy was a West Indian kid called Dolphus (I don't think I ever new his last name). As kids we were priveliged to go round to Dolphus' house for the Saturday night "Blues" a party where they played the latest Ska and Blue Beat records. I remember the "sound sytem" was awesomely loud!

Right opposite from Alexandra Terrace, where I lived was Marlborough Terrace. Glenda Butler lived at number one. I've had contact with Glenda for some time via Friends Reunited, she now lives in Shropshire. I told Glenda about this site, maybe she's lurking?

Around the corner in Wills Street was Derek Such. Derek's garden backed onto the old school annex in Brougham Street. Backing on to the annex as well, but from Villa Street, was the house of Pat and Tommy Brett. And then, right next to the annex in Brougham Street was Max and Delia Bullivant. WoW! It's all flooding back !!!

If anyone has contacts for these guys, or maybe they are lurking, I would dearly love to hear from them.
I am in touch with Lawson Bullivant and and I know he usually visits his sister Delia on Sunday for his Sunday lunch. I lived at no 6 Brougham St back in 1965 ish and I worked in the little Factory at the back of the house . Dennis and Barbara Horlick Owned the House and Factory. We used to buy 5gallon paint drums from the Car factories in Brum and we would Clean them out and resell them back to the paint firms.

closing this thread until we can move some posts to the villa st thread...should not take long will then re open this thread

lyn

Hi, I’m late to these pics and found them purely by chance but my Dad (Andy Beale) spent his childhood living with his family on Brougham Street in the 1950’s. I’ve been fascinated to see the pictures of the street so thank you for sharing.
welcome SB80 enjoy the forum

lyn

Hi All
Haven't been on this site for ages!
I am interested in numbers 33-35 Brougham Street. I had a young female relative living there in 1881. I think it was some sort of children's home run by the Catholic church there.
Can anyone help with this?
Thanks!

In the 1882 Kellys , which probably refers to 1881, 33-35 are not numbered, but between 29 and 39n a9 are:
St Marys Middle Class Pension boarding School
House of Mercy, Home for Respectable Young Women out of Service
St Marys Catholic Church
So I reckon that 33-35 is the home for Respectable women

In the 1882 Kellys , which probably refers to 1881, 33-35 are not numbered, but between 29 and 39n a9 are:
St Marys Middle Class Pension boarding School
House of Mercy, Home for Respectable Young Women out of Service
St Marys Catholic Church
So I reckon that 33-35 is the home for Respectable women
Thanks very much Mikejee
That makes sense as Matron appears on the census and all the young women are employed in service type roles

Hi Kentona73
My Grandparents lived on the corner of Nursery Road and Brougham street, No 16 Nursery Road. Ivy and Arch Clent from 1941- 1971 (I think it was 1971) their children were Barbara, Joy, Roy and Victor

Hi Kentona73
My Grandparents lived on the corner of Nursery Road and Brougham street, No 16 Nursery Road. Ivy and Arch Clent from 1941- 1971 (I think it was 1971) their children were Barbara, Joy, Roy and Victor
hi joy and welcome to the forum...i lived in villa st the next street up from 58 to 72 ...if you have any old photos we would love to see them

enjoy the forum

lyn

hi joy and welcome to the forum...i lived in villa st the next street up from 58 to 72 ...if you have any old photos we would love to see them

enjoy the forum

lyn
Hi Lyn
Sorry I don’t have any photo’s, I was hoping that someone may remember the family on the corner of Brougham street/16 Nursery Road.

Hi Joy Clent, I lived at 20 Brougham St from my birth 1951 until we moved in 1964/5. Unfortunately Joy I cant remember your family members, the only person I remember in the area you mention near the corner was Alan Bowsherman. (im pretty sure it aint spelled it correctly) his Dad I think was an American.

I had a photo of this place which I donated to St Mary's. I think I may have a copy I will look(it may have been put on the forum) but not by me.
Thanks very much Mikejee
That makes sense as Matron appears on the census and all the young women are employed in service type roles

Hi Joy Clent, I lived at 20 Brougham St from my birth 1951 until we moved in 1964/5. Unfortunately Joy I cant remember your family members, the only person I remember in the area you mention near the corner was Alan Bowsherman. (im pretty sure it aint spelled it correctly) his Dad I think was an American.
Hi Harry
Thank you for your reply, not to worry, I’m hoping that someone may remember the family.
I don’t remember the name Alan Bowsherman.
Do you know the Sharples family who lived in the area at all.

the name bobby sharples rings a bell with me joy...i think they sold lino and lived in nursery road...will have to ask my brother..

lyn

Last edited:
Back