• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Old street pics..

I remember my mum taking me to the Gaumont Cinema to see "The Sound of Music". must have seen it a few thousand times over the years.
what a great photo...just look at the 2 photographers standing high up above the entrance to the gaumont and there is another one on the building left of it...shame the cinema has gone..yet another piece of brum history gone forever

lyn

what a great photo...just look at the 2 photographers standing high up above the entrance to the gaumont and there is another one on the building left of it...shame the cinema has gone..yet another piece of brum history gone forever

lyn
Totally agree Lyn. This was my favorite cinema. I was told that it was the first with a curved screen. The Gaumont Cinema should have been saved. Definitely would not have likedto have been one of those photographers. Lol

Last edited:
Hello

Does any one have any old photos of Cregoe Street, Birmingham. The only thing that date back to when my relatives lived there is St. Thomas and the Peace Gardens. The street is totally modernised. I'm looking for 1920's. Thanks

Here’s a link which has a few photos. Some of the early photos on the thread were lost when this site was hacked some years ago. But work your way through it and you’ll find a number have since been posted. Viv.

what an amazing photo oldun...and from my ancestors neck of the woods...no doubt my family who lived very close must have used this butchers also note the old trams lines...think i read somewhere that the trams went to the bottom of gt hampton row and did a right at new john st west..may i post it please on our gt hampton row thread ? ...thank you

lyn

what an amazing photo oldun...and from my ancestors neck of the woods...no doubt my family who lived very close must have used this butchers also note the old trams lines...think i read somewhere that the trams went to the bottom of gt hampton row and did a right at new john st west..may i post it please on our gt hampton row thread ? ...thank you

lyn
Thank you Lyn.Glad you like it.Do as you please.Oldun.

thanks oldun..it never ceases to amaze me that these wonderful photos are still turning up..well its certainly a new one to me..i shall of course credit you with the photo on the gt hampton row thread

lyn

The picture of the pork butcher’s shop raises the question why pork only? Was this consequent upon religious needs, pork possibly needing to have been kept away from other meats to avoid breaking the rules, or was it that the multiple uses and products made from pork meat required skills not employed by other butchers? Or something else? It also seems, (to me anyway) to have been a big city thing, the necessary footfall not being available in small places.

Here’s a link which has a few photos. Some of the early photos on the thread were lost when this site was hacked some years ago. But work your way through it and you’ll find a number have since been posted. Viv.

It's spectacular isn't it? I just want to know if those are blood/black puddings hanging with the sides of pork?

thanks oldun..it never ceases to amaze me that these wonderful photos are still turning up..well its certainly a new one to me..i shall of course credit you with the photo on the gt hampton row thread

lyn
For the record I was given the butcher shop photo in the 60’s from a pub clear out prior to sale.The pub was not near Hockley and unfortunately no background was given.As you can imagine I wish I had asked a few questions.

Ps.I took 4 snaps in the 60’s.Two of the Mint and two in Lodge road.Bit of a desperate attempt to document B,ham which as you can tell didn’t last long.Still I expect you have a good sense of humour.Oldun.
For the record I was given the butcher shop photo in the 60’s from a pub clear out prior to sale.The pub was not near Hockley and unfortunately no background was given.As you can imagine I wish I had asked a few questions.

Attachments

• 4C32072D-F49A-40EE-8D7D-654FAE989408.jpeg
    4C32072D-F49A-40EE-8D7D-654FAE989408.jpeg
    74.1 KB · Views: 61
  • C52EDF3C-E722-471F-B6CC-5E00B86B342F.jpeg
    C52EDF3C-E722-471F-B6CC-5E00B86B342F.jpeg
    62.6 KB · Views: 61
  • 8357B725-79F5-415D-856D-5D02258712E4.jpeg
    8357B725-79F5-415D-856D-5D02258712E4.jpeg
    83.7 KB · Views: 66
  • 046D2AED-E3D5-4919-A0C5-C169066F4512.jpeg
    046D2AED-E3D5-4919-A0C5-C169066F4512.jpeg
    42.5 KB · Views: 64
I have done a little investigating mikejee. Page 10 of Great Hampton Row - (neighbours & streets) includes a post from Annieb181 whose great grandfather (Harry Knight) was the proprietor of a pork butchers on Great Hampton Row. I wonder if that might be the shop?

Lyn,I kept trying to give a thumbs up to your idea of putting the shop on the Great Hampton Row thread but instead the comments just repeated.Anyway I would really like Annieb 181 to see it,so anything to that end would be great.If you want me to do anything ,ok,but I’m sure it is safer in your hands.Oldun.

William Cowper Street School late 50's early 60's maybe..............Another one taken by my father in law Frank James.
Click for a larger view.

View attachment 154488
I have fond memories of this school 1956-1962. Mr Powell was headmaster & some teachers I remember were mr Hughes, mr Nut, mr Jones. There was a fearsome Scottish lady in the oldest class but can’t remember her name. My best friend was Shirley Parker. I am so thankful for the hard work of these teachers who had very poor children with troubled families to educate. With their help I got a scholarship to King Edward VI grammar school.

View attachment 88657George Road Hay Mills 1980 S
Attached is the 1945 George Road Victory in Europe street party. I was born in 1943 at 19 George Road, Hay Mills and I'm pictured on the right hand side kneeling in my chair at the head of the table. The photo is also in the Birmingham Museum and because of the King George Coronation table banner, it is incorrectly attributed to 1937 some 6 years before I was born.

Attachments

• KEITH 1945 VE George Road street party.jpg
    KEITH 1945 VE George Road street party.jpg
    402.8 KB · Views: 75
Back