• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Farm Street Hockley

Welcome to the forum . I am glad you find the forum interesting. However you are incorrect as to the number in Farm St . 28 is the number in the enumeration district, not the number of the house. At that time many houses were not numbered, and even if they were the number was not always included in the census information. The Corporation directory of 186I does list Charles as an engine fitter at 395 Farm St. Interestingly there is there also listed a George Lichfield, pork butcher at 52 Snow Hill . Possibly a relation as Lichfield is not a very common name in Birmingham at this time , and maybe in 1851 Charles was working with him. I am not sure what the number in 1851 was , though it could be the same house as in 1861

well i never knew that it used to be called the castle tavern kieron thanks for that and the photos...i still have hopes that it will re open with a new landlord but it it really is a big hope...im down that way quite often and always take a look to make sure its still there

lyn

Thank you so much for all your messages and help. The photos too.
Now the note about the Castle Tavern and Joseph Linforth is very interesting. William Watson was the landlord according to Dix's directory in 1858. His wife Mary Ann, née Linforth died on 3rd September 1858 after "a long and severe illness". She had gone to live with her in laws at 63 Moor Street (the Watson) and died there. I imagine that William, who was also an electro plater, must have given up the licence to Joseph Linforth.. His father in law... Or possibly to Mary Ann's brother, also called Joseph. Later on in 1886, her brother.. A pearl button maker like his father.. Was sent to prison for 5 years for handling stolen buttons. The judge/ Magistrate described him as "one of the pests of the town"!
Really interesting re the house numbers in 1851 too.. I guess it's possible that "number 28" was actually 395.. Although people moved often between censuses didn't they in those days?

Now the note about the Castle Tavern and Joseph Linforth is very interesting. William Watson was the landlord according to Dix's directory in 1858. His wife Mary Ann, née Linforth died on 3rd September 1858 after "a long and severe illness". She had gone to live with her in laws at 63 Moor Street (the Watson) and died there. I imagine that William, who was also an electro plater, must have given up the licence to Joseph Linforth.. His father in law... Or possibly to Mary Ann's brother, also called Joseph. Later on in 1886, her brother.. A pearl button maker like his father.. Was sent to prison for 5 years for handling stolen buttons. The judge/ Magistrate described him as "one of the pests of the town"!
Really interesting re the house numbers in 1851 too.. I guess it's possible that "number 28" was actually 395.. Although people moved often between censuses didn't they in those days
Many thanks for that excellent find.

Having looked at the 1851 census, Charles on that is 5 entries away from Queens Head going towards the west. The two are quite close and in 1889, as the c1889 map shows, has two large industrial buildings between them (possibly also in 1851 ) which would not have occupants for then census, so I think it is likely that Charles was in the same house in 1851 and 1861. This is obviously not certain , but a reasonable supposition, as otherwise it would mean he had moved in that period to a house only 2 or three buildings away
map c1889 showing 395 and Queens Head.jpg

Thanks very much Mike. Your logic is sound I think. And it also gives me a good idea that my Great Great Grandparents, William Henry Watson and Mary Ann Lichfield would have known each other from the ages of 7 or 8. They married in 1863 about six months before my Great Grandmother Alexandra was born.. When they were aged 20 and 19.

Really interesting re the house numbers in 1851 too.. I guess it's possible that "number 28" was actually 395.. Although people moved often between censuses didn't they in those days

Many thanks for that excellent find.
Actually the Linforths I have described were both called John. Mary Ann had a brother called Joseph who would have been 23 at the time of this advert. A bit young to be an Innkeeper? May have been an Uncle perhaps??

Farm St school and St Saviour Church in this aerial view looking west over Hockley dated 1950. Bridge St West runs diagonally from bottom left and Farm St from bottom changing direction where Villa St crosses it.
FarmStSchool_1950.jpg

A aerial view looking north dated 1948 shows the school and church from another direction.
FarmStSchool1948.jpg
images from 'britainfromabove'

brilliant 1948 overhead OM...i can even make out the 2 playgrounds..some of the original houses in hunters vale where dad lived as a boy also the new maisonettes in hunters vale which dads family moved into next to the brook...the queens head pub corner of hunters vale and farm st which is still there..white swan corner of farm st and villa st.. my gt grans house at no 32 villa st..she would have been living there when the photo was taken...many thanks it brings back so many happy memories me

lyn

Farm St school and St Saviour Church in this aerial view looking west over Hockley dated 1950. Bridge St West runs diagonally from bottom left and Farm St from bottom changing direction where Villa St crosses it.
View attachment 157112

A aerial view looking north dated 1948 shows the school and church from another direction.
View attachment 157111
What great photos ! To the right side of St Saviours church in Bridge St West, can just be seen an alleyway leading to 10 houses which were 5 facing each other with a 'brew house' at the end. This alleyway was called 'Cottage Row' and I was born at number 3 on July 14th 1946. In June 1954, the family moved to pastures new on a brand new council estate called 'Ley Hill' in Northfield. I went to Burbury Street Junior Infant school which was further down Bridge St West off the photo to the right. It was right next door to the giant Lucas factory in Great King St. There was an entrance to the school at the back in Farm St as well as the one in Bridge St West at the front.

Is there anyway of finding out who lived at No 58 Farm Street Newtown B19 in 1970ish,? I lived at No 60 , Im sure the family moved to Maypole . I would love to be able to catch up with them again.

The online electoral rolls only go up to 1965 , when it was William H.Ruston. Later years can be found at the library

hi my wife Pauline greening used to live at no 55 and remembers playing with two lads named wheeler one of which was called tuppence her house was next to grind rods shop
this is amazing ,,i lived at 55 farm street as well and i have pauline greening on a electral roll living with my parents sadly now deceased, my surname is nicholson & lister, i would love to hear more from you. best wish,s jim

hi my wife Pauline greening used to live at no 55 and remembers playing with two lads named wheeler one of which was called tuppence her house was next to grind rods shop

View attachment 157112

View attachment 157111
thank you ,,great pic,s i lived at 55 farm street and you can see it, we had an entry between 55 & 56 where we kids would shimmy up the walls. i was doing this one day with my mate (he lived at the top of st saviours place) when the wall collapsed on us, someone ran over to the dr,s surgery to get help ended up in hospital for 10wks 50+ stitches in my head, broken arm and the ball of my foot hanging out. i was only 7 but remember it like yesterday

I've never seen this photo of the White Swan before. It was the local of my uncle, Stan Wheeler, who live almost opposite in Farm St (5/56 up an entry). Does anyone remember a small grocery shop, again almost opposite in Farm St, run by two ladies known as the 'Grindrods' ?
i do remember the big wooden doors right opposite number 55 that lead to the engineering works they used to polish brass,remember my mom doing work from home, little brass monkeys,you know the ones see no evil hear no evil and speak no evil and the milk maids

Actually the Linforths I have described were both called John. Mary Ann had a brother called Joseph who would have been 23 at the time of this advert. A bit young to be an Innkeeper? May have been an Uncle perhaps??
I am related to the LInforths my cousin married Jane Linforth he was John Powell they emigrated to America John Powell's mother was my aunt Mary Ann Houghton the Powells became quite a big family in America

hI
I LIVED AT 38 Lennox St, born 43 left 64, I have a sister Betty who is 75,
Tell me Kens wife did she come from Kingstanding or that area and can you remember if she had a brother, ?
I do remember every Friday night Fanny green used to send me for fish and chips from the top of Lennox St we all sat down after the shop was closed to have our meal I also recall going to Fanny greens son's wedding posh affair in those days ha ha also remeber Cowdrills in wheeler st we used to take our radios to be charged up also my Grandad and uncle Charlie lived in Wheeler St just up from Cowdrills, The lawleys daughter in Law used to be a tap dancing teacher and I used to have tap and Ballet lesson she used to hire a hall in Farm St on the way to hockley, and we used to do shows at the birmingham Settlement I posted a thread about this yesterday on Birmingham Settlement
Have a good day
Glad
Hi Gladi, my Aunt Jean (aka Bramwell) was the person you were speaking to on this :) and Ken and his wife, (Betty) who you refer to are my parents. Mom came from Dublin so no connection to Kingstanding. It has been lovely to see Jean's responses and helps me to build a picture of my parents early married life before moving out to the outskirts of Birmingham. I remember my Mom saying for my Dad to go to see Mrs Green and collect the groceries (Dad was a lorry driver after the Fish and Chip shop was sold to Lawleys) so keeping up the old connections (whilst also "popping" into the pub - possibly the Swan? Apologies for posting on a old post but fascinating to find out more on family. Tina (unfortunately Jean is no longer with us)

So interesting, all this history about Brum , keeps the memory's alive !!!
Does anyone out there remember my late sister, Maureen Bow, who attended Lozells Girls' School after leaving Burbury Street Junior Infant School ? She was born in October 1940 and so went to Lozells in September 1952 at the beginning of the new term. She left towards the end of the summer term in July 1954 when our family moved to Northfield, onto the new Ley Hill Council Estate that was being built at the time. We lived down an entry called 'Cottage Row' which was at the side of St Saviours church in Bridge Street West.

i am posting this photo and map showing 253 in pink for new member tina ..her auntie ran a chippy 2 doors up from bulls butchers...hope this is of help tina please save the photo if you wish....the chippy would have been next to the shop with the awning up....lyn

farm st map showing 253.jpgfarm st and lennox.jpg

hello wendy

clareharvey800 has a thread asking for help about ancestors the evans family who lived in farm st. perhaps your friend could remember the family and help her.

chris
Hi, I've just joined the forum and noticed your interested in an Evans family living in Farm Street, Hockley. 14 years late to your posting but wondered if anyone knows of any connections: I'm researching my family - grandparents Walter and Lavinia Evans (nee Mellor) who lived in Ventnor Road in Hockley, just off Farm Street, and brothers & sisters and relatives lived in Ventnor Road and nearby Streets since at least 1901, until Ventnor Road was demolished. Walter was youngest of 6 siblings. I think Walter and his older 3 brothers all served in WWI but haven't been able to find any information. Walter and Amelia were my Dad's parents - Kenneth Walter Evans, who had 2 older sisters - Ruby and Margaret.

Julie

Hi, I've just joined the forum and noticed your interested in an Evans family living in Farm Street, Hockley. 14 years late to your posting but wondered if anyone knows of any connections: I'm researching my family - grandparents Walter and Lavinia Evans (nee Mellor) who lived in Ventnor Road in Hockley, just off Farm Street, and brothers & sisters and relatives lived in Ventnor Road and nearby Streets since at least 1901, until Ventnor Road was demolished. Walter was youngest of 6 siblings. I think Walter and his older 3 brothers all served in WWI but haven't been able to find any information. Walter and Amelia were my Dad's parents - Kenneth Walter Evans, who had 2 older sisters - Ruby and Margaret.

Julie

I can't see any obvious connection between your Evans family and any of those on Farm St in 1921 or 1939.

Back