• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Maternity Hospital Heathfield Road

hi vronicka as you said earlier the frontage of the building does look in good order but i am still amazed that so far a photo showing all of the hospital has not turned up but as i always say they are out there somewhere so fingers crossed

lyn
Yes, I find it very strange! City of Birmingham should have a photo in the archives you would think.
I wonder if anyone has tried. Or the local council. Not sure how things work over there but I’m sure here our local town council/library () has photos of old buildings etc.

Yes, I find it very strange! City of Birmingham should have a photo in the archives you would think.
I wonder if anyone has tried. Or the local council. Not sure how things work over there but I’m sure here our local town council/library () has photos of old buildings etc.
yes when the library has re opened to the public i do need to visit on another matter so i will see if they have a photo of the hospital thanks again for the one you posted..

lyn

yes when the library has re opened to the public i do need to visit on another matter so i will see if they have a photo of the hospital thanks again for the one you posted..

lyn
I’m hanging out for your Libraries to open again as I have a wonderful helpful lady over there who is going to try and find out about our Clive Martin Carter now could be surname Stanley born at Heathfield Hospital re Adoption

Last edited:
I’m hanging out for your Libraries to open again as I have a wonderful helpful lady over there who is going to try and find out about our Clive Martin Stanley born at Heathfield Hospital re Adoption
good luck with your search..

lyn

Hi all i remember going in there between 1968 to 1972 when i was an apprentice with the Housing Department it was derelict and ironically my wife Gillian was born there in 1954 it didn't sound like a nice place to give birth . Raz
Was just not a good place!

carol look at your photo again..if it is taken looking towards villa cross .on the right is a road i think this could be crompton road .. here is a map showing the hospital with what is crompton road you can just see the letter n of compton ...if i have got this right then yes your photo just shows the hospital through the trees..not certain yet

lyn

heathfield mat hosp map 1955.jpg

Last edited:
carol look at your photo again..if it is taken looking towards villa cross .on the right is a road i think this could be crompton road .. here is a map showing the hospital with what is crompton road you can just see the letter n of compton ...if i have got this right then yes your photo just shows the hospital through the trees..not certain yet

lyn

View attachment 157860
It was going through my old photos on my 'new' laptop and I had this saved in 2014.

My father was born 134 Heathfield Road in 1926, I always thought it odd as the family lived in Acocks Green, parents were married and his older brother I presume was born at home in 1923, registered Kings Norton. Maybe she was a paying customer to help fund the hospital, but weren't wealthy.

I was born in Heathfield Road Maternity Home (not hospital) in 1946. I don't actually remember the event myself.... The place was demolished sometime in the 1970's, I believe. The last time I drove along Heathfield Road the place where the Home used to be was some kind of recreation area, and on the wall of the building next to where it used to be was a mural of elephants in the jungle. I'm sure that there was a photo of the Home on this Forum at one time.

G
Me too - March 1946. A little weirdly, when I went to grammar school aged 11, I was in the same class as a boy who was 2 days younger than me, who lived in a completely different area of Birmingham, and whose mother had been in the next bed to my mother in Heathfield Road.

G (for "Graham")

Last edited:
At last I have found one of the hospital.

View attachment 169997
hi mort we have seen that photo posted on the forum some time ago by one of our members...its her in the photo as a little girl...i think she lived opposite the hospital....i would have to check when i have time but it may have been posted on the heathfield road thread but looks just as good on this one

lyn

Back