• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

OLD BIRMINGHAM PHOTOS FROM STEVEBHx

This is going to be a long shot and I may even get castigated for my suggestions, (I won't be offended) my thoughts are;
This is Holyhead road, West Brom.
We are looking towards Park lane just past the tall advertising hoarding on the left.
In the distance on the left is Island road.
On the right in the near distance is the Hawthorns (Albion) football ground.
What are your thoughts, am I barking up the wrong tree?
You could be right. I don't know the area but I think, from maps, the photo would be from just past WBA ground. On the right there is a sign "members only" and at about that point was/is the Throstles Club (might explain the coach parked there.
See this 1970s map. Open ground up to Park Lane which fits in with the photo.
1618415869721.png

I am afraid this one had nothing on the photo to say where it is, only a year - 1974, also note I didn't wipe the chinagraph off it marking where the advert was going to go, Sealandair coach, old Tesco lorry and a wide variety of cars,

View attachment 155915
A Mk X Jaguar faces the camera, a Reliant Scimitar GTE faces away behind a 1.8 Morris Marina, and the coach is a Plaxton Panorama but no idea whose chassis it sits on. The only slightly unusual car in the car park is a Fiat 124 estate which looks so new that it hasn’t had time to rust away yet.

P.S. A later dig has found that the coach could be a Seddon Pennine/Plaxton Panorama Elite II.

Last edited:
Ref photo 1266....Shady Lane ...This building was on the right hand side of the road coming from Kings Road, not too far from the junction with Kings Road, I first when there in the early 70's to collect some boarding to board out a company van when working at Gaedor...it was know as Calypso then, I am sure it was renamed again before Do it All took it over, when I lived on the Aldridge Road, I often used it for any bits and pieces I needed at the time ...
Calypso - flipping heck thats a blast glad you could direct Janice.

A Mk X Jaguar faces the camera, a Reliant Scimitar GTE faces away behind a 1.8 Morris Marina, and the coach is a Plaxton Panorama but no idea whose chassis it sits on. The only slightly unusual car in the car park is a Fiat 124 estate which looks so new that it hasn’t had time to rust away yet.

P.S. A later dig has found that the coach could be a Seddon Pennine/Plaxton Panorama Elite II.

I think your Fiat might be a Lada John, I had a newsagent customer here who ran nothing else for years.

I think your Fiat might be a Lada John, I had a newsagent customer here who ran nothing else for years.
It has the Fiat badging on the bottom rh corner of the tailgate I think. I did check.

According to what I have read subsequently, the Fiat 124 was in production from 1966 to 1974, and the Lada commenced in 1974 following the Fiat’s demise. Since it is a 1974 picture I would stick with my Fiat theory.

Last edited:
Ref photo 1266....Shady Lane ...This building was on the right hand side of the road coming from Kings Road, not too far from the junction with Kings Road, I first when there in the early 70's to collect some boarding to board out a company van when working at Gaedor...it was know as Calypso then, I am sure it was renamed again before Do it All took it over, when I lived on the Aldridge Road, I often used it for any bits and pieces I needed at the time ...
Thanks for that. I don't think I would have been too far away as when I checked the 1970s map I had my eye on the buildings on the right coming from Kings Road (marked with red line) - so the works or the warehouse.
1618478852828.png

Jan.....Its the one marked up as the Warehouse.....Danish bacon had a warehouse behind it somewhere at one time, don't know if it is still there ...

This is a few more shots of the shops in Corporation street only thumbnails as they are not the best of images.
So far we have got as far as Rackhams this is the run after North Western Arcade.
First is Henry Field, then Peter Lord, Paige, Dolcis and finally Noel on the corner.

I will cross the road and work back down another day.

Attachments

• Henry Fields - 71.jpg
    Henry Fields - 71.jpg
    771.9 KB · Views: 64
  • Peter Lord - 71.jpg
    Peter Lord - 71.jpg
    736.9 KB · Views: 61
  • Paige - 71.jpg
    Paige - 71.jpg
    693.9 KB · Views: 62
  • Dolcis -71.jpg
    Dolcis -71.jpg
    855 KB · Views: 62
  • Noel - 71.jpg
    Noel - 71.jpg
    873.1 KB · Views: 64
We have 3 Highfield Road Hall Green 1972, mock tudor with leaded windows, bay windows upstairs and attic windows also.
Good to see the butcher laying out his wares, string of sausages hanging up and pigs liver for sale and then a couple of imposing financial buildings.

3 Highfield Road HG -72.jpg

Next is another of the Pershore Road views, fine corporation bench - green if I remember and a time when you could advertise Cigarettes . Sorry I cannot be more specific on location.
EDIT: Suggested location, Cartland Road, the edge of the bridge over the Bourn

4 Pershore Road - 72.jpg

Last edited:
Back