• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Libraries : My First Visit To A Library.

Another memory of Thimblemill Library, I would have been about 10 or 11, and by that time had read the majority of books in the Children's library. I think back then, (1970's) you had to be 13 to join the adult library, but I remember my mom asking the chief librarian if an exception could be made as I loved to read so much and in fact was often reading the books my mom and nan were taking out. My dad was more interested in non fiction and sporting biographies.

She agreed on the condition that the books I loaned were checked by a adult to make sure they were suitable for me to read, then the young assistant librarian thought that it would be good for me to have a "reading list", books that were interesting and ok for me to read. I had a great time going through the reading list, choosing my books every week, as well as choosing books when Abbey Juniors visited the library.

I was so proud of my 6 adult tickets and am still grateful to Julie the librarian who became a good friend for giving me access to the adult library and giving me many, many hours of happy reading.

I still love to read today, I have loads of books and for Christmas last year, my husband brought me a Kindle which I downloaded my favourite books on to. I am still happiest when I have a book in my hand and the radio to listen to this day, I'm grateful that my mom and nan took the time and effort to teach me to read by reading books to me and even though I was a active and sporty child and teenager, gave me the opportunity to be able to lose myself in a good book.

Hi Brummygirl.

My mother was told that she should not teach me to read as the way of teaching then was different from the way that she would have known. She incidentally had been taught to read by her great grand mother who had been born in 1853 and must have been very bright as many women of that time could not read and write. My mother did not therefore teach me with the result that I really learned very little at my first school. Then a house move resulted in my going to a different school where I was assessed as being well below the standard for my age and I needed remedial teaching. My mother as you can imagine was very upset and went to the Midland Educational in Corporation Street, (remember that shop?) and bought copies of the reading books that were in use in the school. With a few months I had advanced sufficiently to be borrowing books from my local library which was Warley Library in Bleakhouse Road. At that time the minimum age in Oldbury Libraries was 8 year old. I had not reached that but using my mother's and dad's tickets and even aunts tickets, I was borrowing books many at a time. At that time you were allowed only one fiction and one nonfiction. However I had enough tickets including when I reached the age of 8 to be borrowing as many as 6 books at a time and would walk the approximately a mile home carrying these books and even reading the top one as I walked.

As Smethwick and Oldbury Councils recognised each others library tickets. I would sometimes for a change walk to Thimblemill Library which Brummygirl talks about in her posts. In the late 1920s Smethwick took over a large tract of land from Oldbury so to cater for these new Smethwick residents and the new houses being built Smethwick council built a library, swimming baths and council flat in Thimblemill Road all in an art deco style.

Later on a new housing estate was built in Brandhall and Oldbury council built a library there and as that was within walking distance I started borrowing from that library also. Three libraries all in walking distance of my childhood home.

I have not kept up using libraries but have collected many books of my own. Having recently moved house, I have had to downsize considerably, so some books have been sold, some have been donated to charity shops, and regretably some have been sent for recycling. However for my new home I have been buying bespoke storage so now for the first time ever all my books (over 1000) are on shelves not in boxes in a spare bedroom.

David

wow david that is some collection of books you have...thought i had got a few and by the sounds of it it all started with the midland educational..would think this pleased your mom:)

lyn

My library was Brays Road, Sheldon.

I lived in common lane growing up and I visited the sheldon library every saturday, spent hours there pawing over which books to read this week...loved it!
I moved to Horrell rd when I married and my children went to story time there.
I loved the bookshelves full of books as far as the eye could see.
I now live in Australia and our local library has a couple of hundred books on low shelves, computers, magazines, dvd's to loan and a tv room for kids activities etc.
I know this is the new era and I should move on but give me an old fashioned library full of books any day!

Last edited:
Any unaccompanied visit, by me to the city (or should I really say to town ;)) would commence with a visit to Midland Educational.

I lived in Sparkbrook as a small boy and my first library was on Mosely Rd. I remember going along for the first time to join and then I was allowed to choose three books to take away. I was surprised they'd let me just walk out with such wonderful items and trust me to bring them back. I recall I was very fond of Grimm's fairy tales and the like and spent hours poring over the lovely pictures at home. I enjoyed the stories too.

Regards, Ray T.

I recall I was very fond of Grimm's fairy tales and the like and spent hours poring over the lovely pictures at home. I enjoyed the stories too.

Regards, Ray T.
Somewhere in the far back of my mind, i seem to remember that Grimms fairy tales were anything but fairy tales suitable for children? There is also a tv programme on at the moment called "Grimm", & that`s full of weird monsters. ( I haven`t watched it cos i`m scared of monsters.):eek:

Somewhere in the far back of my mind, i seem to remember that Grimms fairy tales were anything but fairy tales suitable for children? There is also a tv programme on at the moment called "Grimm", & that`s full of weird monsters. ( I haven`t watched it cos i`m scared of monsters.):eek:

Indeed, Smudger, I remember the weirdness of the stories and pictures, but living a back-street life in Birmingham I loved all that. They were so colourful and rich in imagination. I remember one tale describing a dog with "eyes as big as saucers", and never thought it scary, just intriguing.

Indeed, Smudger, I remember the weirdness of the stories and pictures, but living a back-street life in Birmingham I loved all that. They were so colourful and rich in imagination. I remember one tale describing a dog with "eyes as big as saucers", and never thought it scary, just intriguing.

I also remember the dog with "eyes as big as saucers"! Was it in The Tinder Box??

Yes it was.
I loved that story.
I remember my visits to the library in Sutton Coldfield as a child. I was an avid reader and often finished my book on the day I got it. I remember being upset during the school holidays because I had to wait until the next day before I could change it.

The story had everything in it, a soldier,a witch, treasure and three dogs guarding the treasure.If I remember it well the first had eyes as big as saucers, the second as big as plates and the third as big as milestones.
The soldier had to get the dogs to sit on his cloak whilst he stole the money in their charge that went up in value according to the size of the eyes. It had a happy ending with
the last dog eating the witch and the soldier living happy ever after in Bum. ( I put that last bit in to keep on subject !
Cheers Tim

I am thinking back to when I was very little and I used to be taken to the Birmingham Rep, in the old theatre, for their Christmas play. I remember that one year it was The Tinder Box. All I remember about it was that there was a soldier in the play. I have never come across the story since and had no idea where to find out about it. Have not thought much about it since otherwise I would now have Googled it.

Hi Smudger, I agree with you, Grimms fairy tales are dark, witches, mean stepmothers , giants etc!

Talking of libraries - I have just discovered that the Carnegie library at Selly Oak is now disused [sometime last year?]. I wonder about its' future as it's a listed building. Bit sad about this as I used to be the librarian there many, many years ago. New library opened in the Touchbase Pears building just past the railway bridge on the other side of the road. Must visit when libraries re-open.

Then and now:
1591098808268.png

1591098970930.png

my first library trip was to spring hill library...easy to get there..just jumped the no 8 from nursery road...i believe it is still open which is rare these days

lyn
Same for me Lyn. No8 from Farm St. Who knows we may have been on the same bus.
Books for me at that time were Jennings, Billy Bunter,Famous five and good old Biggles.
Happy days.

NoddKD

Back