• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Aston Fire Station

aggie2347

master brummie
Siebel Gorman Proto Breath Apparatus used by Birmingham Fire Brigade until it was superseded by Compressed Air Sets in the 70s. Picture taken at Aston Fire Station on the right my ex comrades Fm Clive James and Fm Mick Rooney. The duration of Proto could be extended by closing and opening the oxygen cylinder I believe the entrapped procedure was extended to 24 hrs by a wearer lying down and cracking open the oxygen now and again with the Potosorb absorbing the exhaled Carbon Dioxide.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210405-124614_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20210405-124614_Photos.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 27
  • Appreciate
Reactions: Two
Siebel Gorman Proto Breath Apparatus used by Birmingham Fire Brigade until it was superseded by Compressed Air Sets in the 70s. Picture taken at Aston Fire Station on the right my ex comrades Fm Clive James and Fm Mick Rooney. The duration of Proto could be extended by closing and opening the oxygen cylinder I believe the entrapped procedure was extended to 24 hrs by a wearer lying down and cracking open the oxygen now and again with the Potosorb absorbing the exhaled Carbon Dioxide.

• Appreciate
Reactions: TAD
Hi aggie on the subject of Aston Fire Station we now have a Fire Museum on the 2nd &3rd floors of the old station and hope to be open to the public soon and one of the things that will be out on show will be Proto Breathing Apparatus set.

Thanks Nozzle. Good to hear about the museum. If you can post details of opening times etc (when you know) or even photos that might interest our members, please feel free to do so. It’s nice to be able to let members know of local places and events with historical interest. Viv.

Inter Station Breathing Apparatus Competitions in Birmingham using Proto BA sets were carried out each year with the winners carrying off the must sort after Trophy. Picture of the winners receiving the Trophy with Sub.Officer "Lofty" Saunders in undress uniform.

Attachments

• 2019-01-13 16.42.46.jpg
    2019-01-13 16.42.46.jpg
    910.9 KB · Views: 20
my late Father -Les Smith-was in the AFS stationed at Perry Barr -does any body have any photos or memories
I remember he told me they went to the attack on Coventry

My experience was not with breathing apparatus , mine was more to do with the end of the hose not being corrected properly and me getting saturated , this by the way . Was my way of getting another proficiency badge for Fire and Safety , while being a cadet in St John Ambulance Brigade . I hadn’t connected it up properly .

Back