• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Royal visits to Birmingham

The Queen and The Duke of Edinburgh were in Sutton Coldfield in August 1957 for the Jubilee Jamboree at Sutton Park. There is a delighful picture of the couple sitting in the back of their Limo while at the petrol filling staion in Eachelhurst Road, Walmley in the Sutton News Archives. Not technically in Birmingham at the time of course but only a 100 yards away!

Re Pedro post 120 - you would have thought they would have had to polish their wellingtons for the inspection ! Haha. Not sure when it was exactly, whether 1945 or 1946 but the king and queen and the two princesses came to Birmingham and I believe other cities, soon after the war. I remember going with my mom and saw them in the car In Corporation Street

Just to inform everyone that this coming Saturday 17th at the Toby formally the Park House Sutton Park Sutton Coldfield there is a showing of the visit of HM Queen Elizabeth to the Scouts Jubilee Jamboree.
Tickets are free via eventbrite.co.uk/e/film-showing-the-1957-world-scout-jamboree-tickets-391241201967.
The film will be shown twice, once at 3PM and then again at 4.30PM.
Hope to see you there.

hi ian i have also posted your above info on our events and meet ups section of the forum for you

lyn

The Queen visited the Birmingham Hippodrome. I think it was 1955 or 1954,. I was about 12 years.We were a troupe of girls who belonged to the Shirley Thompson's Dancing School situated at Wash wood heath and we were there specially to entertain the Queen to celebrate her Coronation. I shall always remember how we were all dressed in red white and blue satin tunics and top hats and sequin capes. As we danced and sang "All the Queens Horses and all the Queens men, for a brief moment I lost concentration and glanced up at the Balcony to see Queen Elizabeth sitting there watching us with a radiant smile on her face. My goodness it was such a long time ago, but my memory of this even is still vivid.

great photo two...maybe someone could work out from the signages the exact location

• Appreciate
Reactions: Two
For Birmingham 1920 the BMTC shows Advert with Coventry Road, Yardley. Site acquired in 1965 and mentioned as South Yardley.

The British Motor Trading Corporation is shown in the 1921 Kellys as at Yardley Road, apparently on the eastern side close to the junction with the Coventry Road (by the Swan pub). The only map I have is 1913, which shows no large factory there.

This commemorative token of the visit of the Prince and Princess of Wales 1874 was found in our garden in the Ideal Village when I was a child. The houses were built in 1910.

Attachments

• 9A8E3745-F4F7-461D-A06C-13384DA92448.jpeg
    9A8E3745-F4F7-461D-A06C-13384DA92448.jpeg
    228.8 KB · Views: 7
  • 78933C8B-6741-457B-95BD-BFBE28F50FC1.jpeg
    78933C8B-6741-457B-95BD-BFBE28F50FC1.jpeg
    278.3 KB · Views: 6
This commemorative token of the visit of the Prince and Princess of Wales 1874 was found in our garden in the Ideal Village when I was a child. The houses were built in 1910.

Prince and Princess of Wales (later King Edward VII and Queen Alexandra) visiting Gillott's pen factory, Birmingham, England, 1874.

Prince and Princess of Wales visiting Gillott's pen factory, Birmingham, England, 1874..jpg

Last edited:
Back