• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Rose Villa Tavern

csmith, I am beginning to regret putting the building in the back ground now, even though it is there, I should imagine a couple of decades ago it was not there (it looks new and modern), unfortunately being a watercolour I cannot remove it, not a very forgiving medium, unlike oils or pastels. Eric

I think you done the right thing Eric. It's how it looks now and that's how it should be.

i agree with frothy eric.. and.its only a smiggin of the big peg we can see and to be quite honest i never took much notice of anyway...just as an aside my first job was in vyse st at jospeph staintons and in 1985 i thought i would go and visit the old place and see if any of the ladies i worked with were still there..found out that staintons had moved to the big peg by that year..

I am sorry, I was referring to the two photos taken in 2009, compared to the old photo with the houses, I was in no way referring to your lovely painting. Please accept my apologies if I have caused any upset. I am very sorry if I may have been misunderstood all I meant was that I just prefer older architecture than modern. I am very sorry, please forgive my lack of thought. You are extremely tallented and must portray things as you see actually them. I hope you understand what mean.
My best wishes, Chris

csmith604, Please, no apology required and certainly no offense taken, I entirely agree with you (see my post 9), sometimes I leave offending items out (artists licence) sometimes not but I too much prefer the earlier version with the houses. I have completed around 60 paintings for members (half of them pubs) and they are nearly all based on old pics of brum which I much prefer. Over the years I have completed over a 100 paintings of Birmingham and its canals and very few are in a modern setting. As a painter I welcome comments. My late Wife was my biggest critic and I sorely miss her comments. Eric

Last edited:
I've got 3 of them pubs ( The Norton, The Lad In The Lane and The Jeweller's Arms.) and very proud of them too.

I won this painting it is in my office at home and a friend of mine was admiring it only this week. A lovely picture and just as it was. Admittedly the building in the background was an eyesore but it was there when the picture was painted so what. Thanks Eric.

glad you are still enoying erics painting rosie...dont forget our christmas meet up..never know you may win another one:D

lyn

Hi,
I was wondering if anyone had any photos to share it would be lovely to see. I remember when my nan and Grandad (John and Irene Mousely) were publicans in the 80s and would love to see some old pics to bring back childhood memories spent there.

Last edited:
Hi would of loved to been at the Rose villa, it was a place I often visited when younger (in the 80s) when my nan and Grandad ran the pub (Jonh and Irene) would be lovely to see some old pics to bring back childhood memories

thats great kieron i am sure that claire will love that photo which of course includes the now demolished buildings to the left of pub

lyn

Claire, I have painted many of Birmingham's pubs including the Rose Villa Tavern, attached

Attachments

• Rose Villa tavern (2).jpg
    Rose Villa tavern (2).jpg
    92 KB · Views: 17
  • Rose Villa tavern (2).jpg
    Rose Villa tavern (2).jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 13
We have another thread for the Rose Villa Tavern, so I shall merge the two threads. Viv.

Edit. Threads now merged. There may be earlier unseen posts now included in this thread. Viv.

The Rose Villa Tavern in the 70’s

Source lost pubs of Brum

Attachments

• 9F62BFEC-E3FE-4A4B-B2E5-636D03871B79.jpeg
    9F62BFEC-E3FE-4A4B-B2E5-636D03871B79.jpeg
    503.9 KB · Views: 13
I thought it was still open so why is/was it on "lost pubs"? Perhaps it closed for a while.
As others have posted it has had several tenants / owners , and undergone refurbs none that thankfully have taken away the victorian glazed windows and architecture.
last time I was in the was Xmas 10 years ago , as I went to Marlows opposite to get a present.

Back