• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Princess Alice / Parklands housing estate Sutton Coldfield / New Oscott

L33

Hi,
I was wondering if anyone could help me please?

I've recently moved house and I'm trying to research the land it was built on and anything else relating to the housing development on the estate - posible old maps, photos etc.

The House is on Avery Road, Sutton Coldfield, although maps show this area more as New Oscott.

From my house deeds & paperwork, I know that there were several phases of the development, planning permition stages were kicked off about 1967, and houses built very shortly after (mine was built 1969).

From early planning permition paperwork, the estate was referred to as the "Princess Alice farm estate" and when the house was built this appears to change to the "Parklands Estate". I can't find any reference anywhere on the internet of these?

I'm guessing that many years ago, that either the land had some connection to the Princess Alice orphanage, or that there was a farm right next to the princess alice orphanage?

Any pointers gratefully appreciated :)
Thanks in advance,
Lee.

Lee
Below are three maps of the same area today, 1937 and 1963(or so). I have taken them on a fairly large scale so ou can see the arrangement of the roads, but the writing is not clear. However, on the1937 map (which i think you can just read) the farm is called Old Park Farm. On the circa 1963 map , you cannot read it , but the extra building I have marked in red is named "Princess Alice School Farm". I think these maps explain both descriptions in your deeds.
Mike

1937_mapA.jpg

1963_mapA.jpg

2009_mapA.jpg

Many thanks for the maps Mike - looks like the same farm but changed names?

If anyone else has any further info, I'd be very gratefull.
Cheers,
Lee.

Princess Alice's Orphanage had a massive playing field which backed onto my aunts house, so would have been easy to build a housing estate on the land.

Where Tesco now stands. In the 1950s this area was the Princess Alice sports ground, and this is where all the schools in Sutton Coldfield used to hold their annual sports day.

See you can still teach me stuff being the older brother....lol thaks for that info though. It must have changed when I went to school !

Hi,
I was wondering if anyone could help me please?

I've recently moved house and I'm trying to research the land it was built on and anything else relating to the housing development on the estate - posible old maps, photos etc.

The House is on Avery Road, Sutton Coldfield, although maps show this area more as New Oscott.

From my house deeds & paperwork, I know that there were several phases of the development, planning permition stages were kicked off about 1967, and houses built very shortly after (mine was built 1969).

From early planning permition paperwork, the estate was referred to as the "Princess Alice farm estate" and when the house was built this appears to change to the "Parklands Estate". I can't find any reference anywhere on the internet of these?

I'm guessing that many years ago, that either the land had some connection to the Princess Alice orphanage, or that there was a farm right next to the princess alice orphanage?

Any pointers gratefully appreciated :)
Thanks in advance,
Lee.

Hello Lee, Yes the farm was owned by the NCH and was called Princess Alice School Farm.

I can give you information on the farm, as I lived there with mum, dad and sister. My Dad was the farm manager - I can let you have photos of the farm buildings and the old farm house which was built as far as I remember in 1645 or possible 1648, I remember it being in Cromwells time, and wondered if they were Royalist or Parliamentarians that lived there. From what research I have done it seems the farms were rented from Sir Thomas Holte and he was a Royalist. We had some great times on the farm, and we were the last to live there until it was all sold up by the NCH they thought they could get more money selling the land for building than keeping it going for the boys and girls to learn how to farm. Shame really, as Dad had just got the farm turned round and was making a profit for them. When he took over some of the cows were over 20 years old! of course they were not very productive, so he managed to build up a new herd. Would it be better if we e-mailed so I can send the photos? Regards Betty

[email protected]

Many thanks for the maps Mike - looks like the same farm but changed names?

If anyone else has any further info, I'd be very gratefull.
Cheers,
Lee.
I used to live around there as a kid and it was Princess Alice Farm where the houses were built l remember them building them.

Princess Alice Orphanage was in Sutton Coldfield not Erdington it was actually the Beggars Bush l lived not far away and l went to Boldmere High School for boys and we had a lot of boys from there in the school.All gone now shopping centre and housing

Hello Lee, Yes the farm was owned by the NCH and was called Princess Alice School Farm.

I can give you information on the farm, as I lived there with mum, dad and sister. My Dad was the farm manager - I can let you have photos of the farm buildings and the old farm house which was built as far as I remember in 1645 or possible 1648, I remember it being in Cromwells time, and wondered if they were Royalist or Parliamentarians that lived there. From what research I have done it seems the farms were rented from Sir Thomas Holte and he was a Royalist. We had some great times on the farm, and we were the last to live there until it was all sold up by the NCH they thought they could get more money selling the land for building than keeping it going for the boys and girls to learn how to farm. Shame really, as Dad had just got the farm turned round and was making a profit for them. When he took over some of the cows were over 20 years old! of course they were not very productive, so he managed to build up a new herd. Would it be better if we e-mailed so I can send the photos? Regards Betty

[email protected]
Hi, just found this site and viewed some of the comments etc., I grew up at the Orphanage (Princess Alice School as it was then named) from December 1950 to summer 1968. I learnt a number of years ago that our farm (where a massive housing estate now sits) was compulsary purchased by the Council for housing at the time when child care was gradually moving from a community residential accomodation facility to individual foster care system. The children's home was gradually closed and sold off in sections, for commercial use, hence the appalling planning that now blights that part of New Oscott, Sutton Coldfield.

I'm still in touch with some former staff and children from that time, although it gets fewer and fewer as the years go by. Ifn anyone wants to know more, I am in possession of a few aerial photographs of the Childrens' Home and Farm. The entire set up ran along the Chester Road North, adjacent to Jockey Road and along the back of Monmouth Drive and rear of Darnick Road.
Patrick Davies 24/05/2022

Has anyone got a photo of Old Park Farm? I have been told that some of the foundations would be in my back garden and would love to see what it looked like.

Back