• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Adverts of yesteryear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not exactly the advert but does anyone remember a product, not sure whether something like Virol that had a picture of two girls on the front, They were my cousins and my Uncle entered the photo in a competition
At Sutton Coldfield railway station, there was an enamel sign which said that anaemic girls need Virol. Never understood it.

Bob

July 1939, Evening Despatch.

View attachment 155061
The Devonian and the Pines continued after the war, but does anybody know if the other two did, the one to Sidmouth would have been a sight to see especially crossing the Exeter Road in Exmouth on the bridge that took it from Exmouth to Budleigh. Also if it went Sidmouth first, what would the route have been, via Yeovil or Chard? Does anyone have any info on this service?
Bob

I'm surprised to see that these could be 'safely smoked by children' in 1894.
I'm not. little if anything was known about the health effects of smoking back then, and many people did it for relaxation. This was an age when many 'miracle cures' were widely advertised.

Attachments

• Cocaine toothache drops.jpg
    Cocaine toothache drops.jpg
    422.9 KB · Views: 2
I seem to remember , many years ago , having cocaine at the dentist, and believe it was generally used for that purpose. I think, though, that when other safer local anaesthetics replaced it people sillm often referred to them as cocaine

They went from cocaine to novocaine I think. Supposed to be derived from cocaine without the harmful properties.
The anesthetic I get at the dentist ends in “-caine.’’ Is it related to cocaine?

Aside from the letters at the ends of their names, the substances could hardly be more different.
Cocaine is a naturally occurring substance that can also be synthesized in a laboratory, but the process is far from trivial and certainly not very economical. It can be used as a local anesthetic, but its side effects and high potential for addiction set off a search for something safer and better.
Novocaine, which dentists use, has a name derived from a combination of “novo,’’ for new, and the ending of cocaine. Also called procaine, it is chemically quite unrelated to cocaine and relatively easy to make - the first synthesis was in 1898. It doesn’t have any euphoric or addictive effects, so there is no potential for abuse, but it is a good local anesthetic - aside from the fact that it dilates blood vessels and can increase bleeding.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back