• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Adverts of yesteryear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bow to your better knowledge, Alan. But it is still somewhat more musical than the chanting of the Greek Orthodox church, which is more akin to the chanting in Middle Eastern churches. The fact that it is in Ancient Greek and only the priests and their assistants understand it probably accounts for the falling off in the churchgoing by the younger generation. But again we're drifting way off topic, so I'd best get back to pen nibs, lino cutters and what have you! :)

Maurice :cool:

Kellogg’s targeting their advertising in 1956. They seem to thing the Council House is called a Town Hall. Should have done their homework. Viv.

68388569-AFDD-4482-965A-14EB18D7AB7E.jpeg

Attachments

• B8363B37-E3AF-45FC-BB38-3C634C3BCA05.jpeg
    B8363B37-E3AF-45FC-BB38-3C634C3BCA05.jpeg
    157.9 KB · Views: 7
A ffew from the 30s (or before!)

Attachments

• Ah Bisto.jpg
    Ah Bisto.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 8
  • Andrews Liver Salt.jpg
    Andrews Liver Salt.jpg
    368.3 KB · Views: 8
  • Ansells Triple Gold.jpg
    Ansells Triple Gold.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 8
  • Cadbury (dropped parcel).jpg
    Cadbury (dropped parcel).jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 9
  • Daddie's Sauce .jpg
    Daddie's Sauce .jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 9
  • Shredded Wheat.jpg
    Shredded Wheat.jpg
    601 KB · Views: 10
Daddies Sauce now in brown plastic bottles, likewise Andrews rather than little tins, and I much preferred that shape for the Shredded Wheat boxes with two useful pieces of card between the layers. Cheers Lloyd. :)

A few more from my digital collection...

Attachments

• Enjoy potatoes.jpg
    Enjoy potatoes.jpg
    176.5 KB · Views: 16
  • Pomeroy skin food.jpg
    Pomeroy skin food.jpg
    340 KB · Views: 15
  • Williams's new Cream Toffee.jpg
    Williams's new Cream Toffee.jpg
    189.4 KB · Views: 14
  • Flavels 'Imp' cooker.jpg
    Flavels 'Imp' cooker.jpg
    129.7 KB · Views: 17
  • Littlewoods Pools advert.jpg
    Littlewoods Pools advert.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 17
  • Robin cigarettes.jpg
    Robin cigarettes.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 16
  • attachment8.jpg
    attachment8.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 15
...and to finish, a few non-PC ones!

Attachments

• attachment6.jpg
    attachment6.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 22
  • attachment3.jpg
    attachment3.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 22
  • attachment16.jpg
    attachment16.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 21
  • attachment14.jpg
    attachment14.jpg
    194.1 KB · Views: 20
  • attachment15.jpg
    attachment15.jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 20
  • A beer before bed [for baby!].jpg
    A beer before bed [for baby!].jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 22
A few that wouldn't get past the censors today, Lloyd, such as doctors advocating smoking, and babies fed with coke or beer! I certainly remember that utility-type of Flavel cooker, and the Littlewoods advert is quite clever. And that sneaky advert advertising your cocaine throat sweets! :)

A few that wouldn't get past the censors today, Lloyd, such as doctors advocating smoking, and babies fed with coke or beer! I certainly remember that utility-type of Flavel cooker, and the Littlewoods advert is quite clever. And that sneaky advert advertising your cocaine throat sweets! :)

You are right Maurice but that doesn't mean they are. If they didn't condemn anything they wouldn't have a job. How many times has the advice about butter or red wine changed ?

Not exactly the advert but does anyone remember a product, not sure whether something like Virol that had a picture of two girls on the front, They were my cousins and my Uncle entered the photo in a competition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back