• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Parliament Street Aston

Absolutely and utterly brilliant, we have waited so long for Parliament Street images (we knew they were out there somewhere). I can even see No.7 although at a bit of an angle. Will look closer tomorrow.
Thank-you so much Kev, you've really made my day and thanks Lyn for posting them.
Any idea of dates for these?

i always say they are out there somewhere john...

lyn

Couldn't resist a closer look before going to bed, the car is parked outside No. 23, if you and Kev have no objections I will try and manipulate them a bit tomorrow and pinpoint the locations & house numbers.

Attachments

• 23ParliamentSt-map.jpg
    23ParliamentSt-map.jpg
    535.5 KB · Views: 17
  • parliament-st-3.jpg
    parliament-st-3.jpg
    630.5 KB · Views: 18
hi folks..here is another one parliament st on the right...sirks pigeon shop on the corner..the entry on the far right is where john houghton lived at back of 15 i think...brummy lad is your no 7 on this photo

lyn
The last 2 houses were either 27 and 29, or 25 and 27.......the old pigeon shop was occupied by Asian men during the mid to late 1960's......, sorry to say as a child along with other little barstools we would set fire to their door around bonfire night by putting fireworks into the letterbox, also the bottom windows had a mesh in front on them, to stop us throwing stones through them.......Yes I was a little poo, but my children were never allowed to do anything like that......the person in the photo was named Michael...he had leaning difficulty's .....another great photo Lyn
The last 2 houses were either 27 and 29, or 25 and 27.......the old pigeon shop was occupied by Asian men during the mid to late 1960's......, sorry to say as a child along with other little barstools we would set fire to their door around bonfire night by putting fireworks into the letterbox, also the bottom windows had a mesh in front on them, to stop us throwing stones through them.......Yes I was a little poo, but my children were never allowed to do anything like that......the person in the photo was named Michael...he had leaning difficulty's .....another great photo Lyn
Absolutely and utterly brilliant, we have waited so long for Parliament Street images (we knew they were out there somewhere). I can even see No.7 although at a bit of an angle. Will look closer tomorrow.
Thank-you so much Kev, you've really made my day and thanks Lyn for posting them.
Any idea of dates for these?
Yes around 1965

i remember pushing the home made barrow up webster st, to get the coal off a woman in parliment st.:cold_sweat::weary_face:

The last 2 houses were either 27 and 29, or 25 and 27.......the old pigeon shop was occupied by Asian men during the mid to late 1960's......, sorry to say as a child along with other little barstools we would set fire to their door around bonfire night by putting fireworks into the letterbox, also the bottom windows had a mesh in front on them, to stop us throwing stones through them.......Yes I was a little poo, but my children were never allowed to do anything like that......
That is a terrible.thing to do you could have killed them.

A bit more info on the house numbers.

Attachments

• parliamentstreet3.jpg
    parliamentstreet3.jpg
    657.1 KB · Views: 15
  • parliamentstreet4.jpg
    parliamentstreet4.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 15
  • parliamentstreet5.jpg
    parliamentstreet5.jpg
    930.2 KB · Views: 17
From the shop when we lived there number 27 Mrs Salt 25 Mrs Plumb 23 Mrs Griffiths 21 Mr Simmons 19 Mr Tustin (APR air raid warden during the war 17 Mrs Speaks 15 Mr Bithell we lived at 1 bk 15 that's down the last entry
Stirks shop was number 1 Burlington street
Thanks to Photographic Historian Lyn for this and other local photographs which as brought back many memories for me.
Mrs plumb was my great gran and Mrs Griffiths was my gran

The photo of the children on the car shows Stirks Aviary in the background, on the other corner of Parliament/Burlington Street was a disused shop was where Mr. & Mrs Woo and their daughter Olive lived. Mrs. Woo was English and her husband Chinese, it would be fascinating to know how they met. The other shop in the photo was Mrs. Griggs, when I was about 5/6 yeas old during the war I won a large doll in a raffle, I had it for years then gave it to a niece.

The photo of the children on the car shows Stirks Aviary in the background, on the other corner of Parliament/Burlington Street was a disused shop was where Mr. & Mrs Woo and their daughter Olive lived. Mrs. Woo was English and her husband Chinese, it would be fascinating to know how they met. The other shop in the photo was Mrs. Griggs, when I was about 5/6 yeas old during the war I won a large doll in a raffle, I had it for years then gave it to a niece.
Hi Sylvia, I'm the child sitting on the car o/s my nans house, I've heard my mother mention them names Mr & Mrs Woo someother names I've heard who you might know are Jeannie Marsh, Sheila Hough/Huff, Kenny Cox and a family by the name of Blackstaff, my mother's family name is Griffiths

You must be related to David Griffiths, he used to chase me and my mates around the street after we were cheeky to him, and later I worked with him at British Leyland, which was in Drews Lane, Ward End...I think he was living in Tamworth at that time ..1976-1981

You must be related to David Griffiths, he used to chase me and my mates around the street after we were cheeky to him, and later I worked with him at British Leyland, which was in Drews Lane, Ward End...I think he was living in Tamworth at that time ..1976-1981
Yes David was my uncle, he's on one of the Photos sadly David passed away about 12 yrs ago. I worked at Drews Lane from 1976 to 1992(F,Block)

Sorry to hear about David.....I am not to sure of the block I was working in, B block comes to mind, front assembly ....

Hi Kev, I remember all those you mention except Jeanne Marsh. I am still in touch with Carol Blackstaffe, she had a brother I think named Rodney, and her gran lived in Upper Webster Street, near to Parliament Street. Was your gran related to Mrs. Plumb?

Hi Kev, I remember all those you mention except Jeanne Marsh. I am still in touch with Carol Blackstaffe, she had a brother I think named Rodney, and her gran lived in Upper Webster Street, near to Parliament Street. Was your gran related to Mrs. Plumb?
Hiya Sylvia, Yes Mrs Plumb was my nans Mother (my Great Grandmother) they lived next door to each other.I believe Carol Blackstaff was Johnny Prescotts girlfriend for a while another couple of names for you are Dolly Shepherd and Nancy Wheeler.

Hiya Sylvia, Yes Mrs Plumb was my nans Mother (my Great Grandmother) they lived next door to each other.I believe Carol Blackstaff was Johnny Prescotts girlfriend for a while another couple of names for you are Dolly Shepherd and Nancy Wheeler.
Did Dolly Shepherd live at No. 9 ? I'm fairly sure I remember her living there next door to us at No. 7, that would be between 1949 & 1957

I remember the Houghton family well (we lived at No.7 and they were back of 15). I also remember Dolly Sheppard who lived next door to us at No.9. It's a lovely story and makes me realise how little we knew of our neighbours, having said that I was only 8 years old when we left Parliament Street.

32a Parliament street two photographs of the Jennings family different eras the one with the soldier would be circa 1914-18 first world war second approx early 1900s

Attachments

• 34a-parliament-st-jennings.jpg
    34a-parliament-st-jennings.jpg
    941.2 KB · Views: 14
  • jennings-lily-2.jpg
    jennings-lily-2.jpg
    690 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Does anyone have any photos of my grannys house no 55 paliament street, it was a corner house the other end of park lane opp a little shop ? Im going back 50 years.Her name was mrs annie may taylor she had a lodger called bernard.Great memories from there , i was just a kid then

Unfortunately that's one of the areas of Parliament Street that we do not have photos for, on the aerial view in post #114 you can just see the 1st floor of No. 55 on the corner with Upper Webster Street.

Attachments

• parliament-st-map-1950s.jpg
    parliament-st-map-1950s.jpg
    477.3 KB · Views: 10
Back in 2017 I posted a photograph of 6 children, I was looking for help in identifying who they were. After much help from marvellous BHF members and a visit to see my cousin (the son of Florence Edith Hayes) I have now identified 5 of the 6 children and hopeful that I can resolve the identity of the little girl that is still unknown. Like many people I have numerous photographs from the early 1900s without details written on the back. Almost certainly many are siblings I'm just pleased I sorted the names on this one.

Attachments

• 6children.jpg
    6children.jpg
    877.9 KB · Views: 15
Hi all, this thread full of photos awakened my search for the family tree, i am the great grandson of jennings of 34a parliament st and 16 parliament st.

After my mom ( Lily Jennings and Frank Adams daughter ) decided to get a lot of the family paperwork out of storage i found out my mom Jacqueline Adams was born in dudley rd hospital and came back to 34a parliament st, something we never knew.

so just a quick thank you to all for the pictures and a Happy New year.

My mother married Raymond Grocott approx 1969, with this in mind i do believe i am related via marriage to one of the members here?

All the best. Ray

I thought that I had posted this aerial view (from 1938) before but perhaps it was on another thread.
hi john just catching up on this thread...could you mark out parliament st on your map please and what school would that be on the left...i think its a school

lyn

Back