• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Census 2021

Just filled in my form online (you can do that ahead online if you are sure who will be there on 21st. Cannot remember what was asked 10 years ago and , as only me, not sure what is asked about marriage etc, but noticed only asked which coun try born, no coun ty asked (so less information for future genealogists (if there are any). Was surprised , after other questionaires that I have seen in recent times, that I was only asked if I was male or female and not some other made-up description

mike my daughter who lives next door had her form today not had mine yet..dont think they have occupations down as i only had a quick look at it

lyn

They ask who you worked for, your position and briefly what you do/did in your last job if no longer working

oh right thanks mike in that case i shall put shopper...cook...cleaner..launderess..child minder..gardener etc etc etc :D :D :D

lyn

Last edited:
We have got to fill out this census.
Anyone found it more intricate than ever before?
Should take around 10 minutes per person

They were discussing this years census on the radio this morning and someone asked about when the 1921 Census would be available. Apparently because of various problems the England/ Wales census wont be available until January 2022. They were also saying that in that census there were two new questions, one as to whether a person was divorced, apparently not allowed to ask that question before. The other question was whether a person was an orphan. This was of course due to the aftermath of WW1.

I was disappointed that there was not a more detailed question of where you were born.

Added to the 'fluid' nature of families it will make future ancestry more difficult. Advances in dna matching might take up the slack I suppose.

Having to do it online or ring for a paper form might make for a lot of defaulters this time, I know quite a few who don't do computers at all and probably won't be bothered to ring for a form.

As far as I am aware every house in the country is sent a form and there should be no need to request one. It is stated on the form that you can do it on line or send the form in

Apparently they plan to contact any household not answering online or submitting a paper copy. No idea how or when they plan to do this.
I found the questions as PDF and my Dad (93 and no idea about computers) told me the answers. I have his code to enter online for him.

Apparently they plan to contact any household not answering online or submitting a paper copy. No idea how or when they plan to do this.
I found the questions as PDF and my Dad (93 and no idea about computers) told me the answers. I have his code to enter online for him.
How are people in his situation, without daughters and sons who are able to help, meant to fulfil this legal requirement?

Staff have/are being recruited to visit householders who have not submitted their Census (either online or by post) in order to help them complete it. I am not sure when these visits will commence.

William.

How are people in his situation, without daughters and sons who are able to help, meant to fulfil this legal requirement?
I really don't know. I am able to help as I am his carer even though he lives on his own but some sons and daughters aren't in that position.
Send for a paper copy - but, I gather, that could mean a lengthy hold on the phone.

some people received forms, other just a letter, I received just a letter with a 16 digit code, so I filled it in on line, I found it very simple. I received an email confirming they had received the completed census, this was last Thursday 17th

I completed mine online yesterday - found it easy as there's only me at the address.
My London borough was chosen for a dress rehearsal last year and sent a paper form for us to complete - not sure why but maybe they wanted to test the programme before putting it online?

I have noticed that there is a small centre in our area where people are able to go for help with the form - possibly they will go through the questions with you and enter it onto a computer. I'm sure there are quite a few people who have difficulties for various reasons including english not being their first language.

Back