• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Sutton Road Erdington: large houses and their residents

Hi jennyann, thank you for your interest in Sutton Road and the properties along there. I think we moved there in 1953. We moved from new housing at Shard End. The whole area had been farm land but it was gradually being eaten up by 'slum clearance' I think they called the movement.
We had the top floor of Rockville which consisted of four huge rooms which served as our sitting room, kitchen/diner and two bedrooms, although my parents had a bedroom that had a dressing room and that was where I slept leaving one vast empty bedroom.

All the rooms had marble fireplaces and ornate plaster ceilings and our kitchen, which consisted mainly of a sink and cooker held a table that would seat 12/14 people. We also had a bathroom with a bath big enough for a small child to slide down the sloping back into the bath water and a toilet with a cistern so high it looked tiny. The approach to our area of the house, which had no officially separate access, was up a flight of polished granite and probably 4' wide stairs which turned backed on itself after a half landing above which was an arched window. The bannister rail was great for sliding down being substantial and it ended in a newel post with a carved wood lion's claw at the base. The landing at the top was large enough for dances to be held. There was also a door leading to stairs to the servants quarters above us. I did go up once and found an abandoned gas mask.

Downstairs was the other flat occupied by Mr & Mrs Sleigh and their three children. Their accommodation mirrored our own except that where bedrooms became living rooms upstairs, downstairs living rooms became bedrooms, the two older children shared the room at the back of the house which had french doors leading out into the garden while the parents and baby shared the room beneath my parents. I shall stop here because I am not certain how this thread is being saved/posted and I've already tried to add to the threads and lost a considerable amount of work!

Thanks Maryjanetape for writing your memories of the house that your family lived in on Sutton Road. The original owners of these houses certainly
lived a privileged life and it is so interesting to read about the layout of the house that your family lived in. Sorry that you have had problems
with getting your info on to the thread. You can try copying your post in Windows if that's your system and then transferring it to the Forum.

Hi Everyone,

Not sure if I'm too late to join in with this thread but here goes.

You seem to have lots of photos but I can't seem to look at any one them. Are they still available?

I live very near to the Lyndhurst Estate and my dad used to tell me about the large houses there where he delivered papers. I expect he went on his bike as he lived at Salford Bridge then. I often walked my dog along the grass in front of the flats and tried to tell where the houses were from the remains of the walls which have been left. Dad and dog are long gone now.

My interest in the houses became deeper when I began to research the stained glass windows in our church, St Michael's, Boldmere. Some of the earlier occupants attended St Michael's and there were (until a devastating fire in 1964) several stained glass windows to their memory. These include the Moores, Ansells (Brewery) and Alfred Homer (formerly Midland Vinegar I think). Alfred was also a secretary for Aston Villa before becoming involved with Bristol City football club. They are all buried in the churchyard in Boldmere Road but only 2 windows remain intact.

I'm always puzzled why they attended St Michael's rather than St Barnabas' church as it was nearer. Never quite sure where the parish boundary ended and don't seem to be able to find a map showing this information.

There are some small books in Erdington Library reference section with photos of some of the families. Can't remember the titles but I have a book to return so I will look next time I go.

An interesting thread. (Edit. The following posts were moved from another thread https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/for...-stokes-stevens-of-hanley-street.47169/page-2. This thread has been created to focus on Sutton Road). Viv.

I am currently putting together a history of the large houses and their occupants on the Sutton Road in Erdington that were demolished to make way for the Lyndhurst Estate. Henry Stevens, son of Joseph, lived at Fairlawn later known as Normanhurst in 1891, listed as a hinge manufacturer.

I am going to be posting a series of articles from November 2020 on here and on the Erdington and Sutton Coldfield Facebook History Groups. So I'm on the lookout for photos/information to flesh out their stories.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dear Canonvela,

Here are some photos and info I have of a lot of the houses on Sutton Road before they were demolished .
Left to right.102 Occupant in 1939- Chas Morley in 1953 - R Varley
104 Occupant in 1939- J Hayden in 1953- J Hayden
94 Occupant in 1939- Chas Lakin in 1953 2 - Flats O Stafford & E Bean
88 Occupant in 1939- S Price in 1953 T Price
98 Occupant in 1938- W Edwards in 1953 W Edwards *
78 Occupant in 1939- unknown in 1953 A Dorcinec **
80 Occupant in 1939- G Booth in 1953 K Booth
82 Occupant in 1939 School in 1953 E Willet ***
44 Occupant in 1939 T Johnson in 1953 T Johnson ****
48 Occupant in 1939 G Machin in 1953 H Williams
66 Occupant in 1939 F Mander in 1953 F Mander

On the first photo with 2 houses,on number 78 is top and number 80/82 bottom ,number 80 is on the left handside.

On the second photo with 3 houses,top left is 44,top right is 48 and underneath is 66.

Key notes.
* Property ran as The Beechmount Hotel
** Property ran as The Lyndhurst Guest House
*** Property ran as Colwyn House School for Boys and Girls
**** Property ran as Johnson's Garage

Total list of owners in 1939 from the Abbey up to Chester Road.

44 - Johnson's Garage
46 - F Spencer (Builders)
48 - Mrs G Machin
52- Thos Ross
54- Leslie Dowling
58- Mrs E Lemm
60- Mrs Lizzie Sturgess
66- Mrs Florence Mander
70- R J Varley
78- Lyndhurst Guest House
80- Geoff Booth
82- Colwyn House School for Boys and Girls
84- Thos Oswald Willams
88- Saml Price
90- Yenton Riding School
91- Chas A Lakin
96- Mrs Edith Thompson
98- Mr Walter Edwards ,The Beechmount Hotel
102 Chas Morley
104 Joseph Hayden
108 Stanley Homer.

I too was interested in the history of that part of Erdington and spent an whole day two in Erdington and The Central library and found this information from the records held there,.

Hope this will help with your book,would be very keen to buy a copy when jt is finished,
P.s,I also have a cenus list from 1953 showing every person living in the houses at that time,
It is quite a list! so can copy and send it if you want,

Good luck and kind regards

Tim O'Sullivan

Attachments

• DA138B52-C602-4F1C-B463-645881DBBAF8.jpeg
    DA138B52-C602-4F1C-B463-645881DBBAF8.jpeg
    986.7 KB · Views: 43
  • E084AA14-0B90-47BA-B5C8-18B16288C223.jpeg
    E084AA14-0B90-47BA-B5C8-18B16288C223.jpeg
    892.9 KB · Views: 41
  • 354C959E-C634-4A7E-AF5A-E91F5CC09246.jpeg
    354C959E-C634-4A7E-AF5A-E91F5CC09246.jpeg
    1,016.2 KB · Views: 45
  • 2089434C-E98C-4E2E-B51F-7B2F9A873761.jpeg
    2089434C-E98C-4E2E-B51F-7B2F9A873761.jpeg
    863.1 KB · Views: 43
  • 79C6088A-1B3B-4776-8CA5-7F1F0A7155DA.jpeg
    79C6088A-1B3B-4776-8CA5-7F1F0A7155DA.jpeg
    978.3 KB · Views: 50
  • 644E3B4C-8114-4819-852A-2F1A6D05CE5B.jpeg
    644E3B4C-8114-4819-852A-2F1A6D05CE5B.jpeg
    944.8 KB · Views: 43
  • 7E7CEBCE-005E-4738-8556-69B8848F7D46.jpeg
    7E7CEBCE-005E-4738-8556-69B8848F7D46.jpeg
    888.9 KB · Views: 43
Thanks Tim. That is absolutely brilliant.

I had intended to start releasing the story of the road as a series of articles at the end of last year but held off because I needed more photographic references and access to the library has not been possible.

I am putting a computer model together to try and reconstruct the way the road looked in its heyday to accompany the text and there were giant holes in the information I had about the appearance of the houses. These photos help immensely.

Thanks again.
Tim

Dear Canonvela,

Here are some photos and info I have of a lot of the houses on Sutton Road before they were demolished .
Left to right.102 Occupant in 1939- Chas Morley in 1953 - R Varley
104 Occupant in 1939- J Hayden in 1953- J Hayden
94 Occupant in 1939- Chas Lakin in 1953 2 - Flats O Stafford & E Bean
88 Occupant in 1939- S Price in 1953 T Price
98 Occupant in 1938- W Edwards in 1953 W Edwards *
78 Occupant in 1939- unknown in 1953 A Dorcinec **
80 Occupant in 1939- G Booth in 1953 K Booth
82 Occupant in 1939 School in 1953 E Willet ***
44 Occupant in 1939 T Johnson in 1953 T Johnson ****
48 Occupant in 1939 G Machin in 1953 H Williams
66 Occupant in 1939 F Mander in 1953 F Mander

On the first photo with 2 houses,on number 78 is top and number 80/82 bottom ,number 80 is on the left handside.

On the second photo with 3 houses,top left is 44,top right is 48 and underneath is 66.

Key notes.
* Property ran as The Beechmount Hotel
** Property ran as The Lyndhurst Guest House
*** Property ran as Colwyn House School for Boys and Girls
**** Property ran as Johnson's Garage

Total list of owners in 1939 from the Abbey up to Chester Road.

44 - Johnson's Garage
46 - F Spencer (Builders)
48 - Mrs G Machin
52- Thos Ross
54- Leslie Dowling
58- Mrs E Lemm
60- Mrs Lizzie Sturgess
66- Mrs Florence Mander
70- R J Varley
78- Lyndhurst Guest House
80- Geoff Booth
82- Colwyn House School for Boys and Girls
84- Thos Oswald Willams
88- Saml Price
90- Yenton Riding School
91- Chas A Lakin
96- Mrs Edith Thompson
98- Mr Walter Edwards ,The Beechmount Hotel
102 Chas Morley
104 Joseph Hayden
108 Stanley Homer.

I too was interested in the history of that part of Erdington and spent an whole day two in Erdington and The Central library and found this information from the records held there,.

Hope this will help with your book,would be very keen to buy a copy when jt is finished,
P.s,I also have a cenus list from 1953 showing every person living in the houses at that time,
It is quite a list! so can copy and send it if you want,

Good luck and kind regards

Tim O'Sullivan

Oh, and a copy of that 1953 data would be very helpful. I have a spreadsheet of the owners picked from census, register and directory information but the most recent information gets a bit sketchy.

Tim

l will send it to you but is there a way to send it direct to you and not post it on a forum?
Regards
Tim

An interesting thread. (Edit. The following posts were moved from another thread https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/for...-stokes-stevens-of-hanley-street.47169/page-2. This thread has been created to focus on Sutton Road). Viv.

I am currently putting together a history of the large houses and their occupants on the Sutton Road in Erdington that were demolished to make way for the Lyndhurst Estate. Henry Stevens, son of Joseph, lived at Fairlawn later known as Normanhurst in 1891, listed as a hinge manufacturer.

I am going to be posting a series of articles from November 2020 on here and on the Erdington and Sutton Coldfield Facebook History Groups. So I'm on the lookout for photos/information to flesh out their stories.

I'm sure you already know but just in case - Several of the occupants in the 1900's attended St Michael'[s Church in Boldmere and are buried there. Let me know if you're going back that far.

Also, you can send private messages with personal information by clicking on the recipient's avatar and starting a conversation. Nobody else will have access to this apart from the participants.

Hello Canonvela,
I have just sent the 1953 list of names of all the occupants to you in a private reply,
96:Normanhurst had 20 occupants!
there was some suggestion that this was used to house nurses,
Would be interesting if anybody has photographs of some of the'missing'houses
Kind regards
Tim O'Sullivan

I'm sure you already know but just in case - Several of the occupants in the 1900's attended St Michael'[s Church in Boldmere and are buried there. Let me know if you're going back that far.

Also, you can send private messages with personal information by clicking on the recipient's avatar and starting a conversation. Nobody else will have access to this apart from the participants.

Dear Froth, Although your request was put on the forum a long time ago I have recently placed several
photos and information on the forum website if you enter Sutton Road Houses in the 'search'button you can see everything.Hope you enjoy them,
Kind regards
Tim O'Sullivan

Edit. The following 28 posts below are from another thread about Lyndhurst School. Lady P mentioned the information about the large houses along Sutton Road in Erdington was scattered across several threads on the Forum. The information is now being brought together on this one thread.
I am sure there was a girl’s school entrance right in the corner of Holly Lane and Sutton Road on the site of Norwood House. That section of Holly Lane may have once been called Mason Lane.

Janice, I think the Lyndhurst marked on your map may have been a large residence on what is now the Lyndhurst Estate. Maybe it was used as a school? Someone has recently posted some photos of these houses perhaps this will tell us.

I am sure there was a girl’s school entrance right in the corner of Holly Lane and Sutton Road on the site of Norwood House. That section of Holly Lane may have once been called Mason Lane.
Morturn, it looks as though, on Janice's map, the entrance you refer to belongs to St Agnes' Convent school. I wonder if there was a connection?

Janice, I think the Lyndhurst marked on your map may have been a large residence on what is now the Lyndhurst Estate. Maybe it was used as a school? Someone has recently posted some photos of these houses perhaps this will tell us.
Thanks Pen. I don't know the area - I couldn't find anywhere else marked Lynndhurst on any of the maps - that said there is a gap from 1915 until late 1920s - I assume because of the war. Will have another look to see if I can spot it in the Directories but another gap on Ancestry may not help us.

St Agnes Convent was a girls school definitely in 50s and 60s not when it started though. It is, according to what I have read, the site of Edmund Campion School.

On the 1915 map the house labelled as Lyndhurst on the map in post #8 is a house called Norlands. Having said that - the footprint looks the same so it might just have been a name change. In the 1913 directory it is the Norlands but by 1915 it is Holly Mount - so just a name change.
1617462735246.png

1913 directory lists

On the c1950 map the St agnes school is listed as St agnes Grammar School, not convent, though it is still convent on the c1937 map

map c1956 showing St agnes grammar school.jpg

I think that's the case Viv. Well done Janice! tpos posted on the Sutton Road thread with a lot of information. I believe the houses along Sutton Road were built several years before the Holly Lane property.

Much of the land around here was owned by Josiah Mason so I expect he owned the Lyndhurst estate land too. We paid our ground rent to the Josiah Mason's trust before we bought the freehold and we live the opposite side of the Lyndhurst Estate to Holly Lane.
The houses on what is now the Lyndhurst Estate were large merchants' houses built in the 1850s on 99 year leases, typically in the white stucco Victorian neo-classical style. Come the 1950s, the leases expired and the houses fell into disrepair and demolition. After the War, my grandparents owned 'Newstead' the property between 'Norlands' and St Agnes Convent, but sold up smartly when they were tipped off about plans for the Lyndhurst Estate. There is one remaining 1850s property on Chester Road just before the railway bridge.

'Norlands' was ultimately converted into 2 flats and occupied by Alfred Bliss and Anton Dorcinic prior to demolition.

Last edited:
I believe that Sir Josiah Mason's home 'Norwood' became St Agnes Convent following his death. It was later redeveloped as Edmund Campion School, which moved from Pitts Farm Road.
That agrees with what is stated in Brian Jones book on Josiah Mason, with the addition that the convent nuns established the private convent school in 1909

Back