• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Parisian Club Cannon Street

well all i can say is they did a good job in keeping it in keeping with the rest...is the windsor still open

Yes the Winsor is still open.
Does anyone remember Winston's wine bar ? further down Cannon street same side as the Winsor

Here's a photograph from the 1970s, those Foster Brothers' lumberjack jackets with the fake sheep's wool collars defied sartorial taste and seemed to be around forever.

28167439_10215772178243240_4848759365707528294_n.jpg

and another wow from me...great photo on of these days one will turn up showing you staggering out froth:D

lyn

Le Pub, formerly the Parisian (on the right with the large sign above). This section of Cannon Street must have been rebuilt. Attached below, the view today - the modern replacement building fits in well.

The gap in the buildings in Le Pub photo seems to have been created by a fire in 1888. The high building side wall was, I think the position of the Central Arcade which burned down along with Marris and Norton's cabinetmakers. (See post Pedrocut's post # 19 here https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/for...central-arcade-fore-street.48335/#post-580971

Central Arcade used to exit onto Corporation Street, the arched entrance on Corporation Street can still be seen near the Fore Street junction. And the other image below must be the Cannon Street entrance - still there too.

Viv.

image.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    162.8 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
This photograph brought back memories of the cold wet rain filled autumns / winters of the seventies. Note The Foster Brothers tartan jacket (complete with nylon wool) the chap on the right is wearing. I spent quite a few weekends in this pub. In the eighties Davenport's bought it and renamed it Cagney's (I suppose to compete against Bogart's on New St) Cagney's was much smaller and the bar was downstairs. It was a pub but it was done out like a nightclub, covered in mirrors, it reflected (forgive the pun) the gaudiness of the eighties I suppose. Try as I might, I haven't found anything about Cagney's but I still live in hope.

41807089_10217537088724899_484690018586066944_n.jpg

Attachments

• The Parisian_2.jpg
    The Parisian_2.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 56
This photograph brought back memories of the cold wet rain filled autumns / winters of the seventies. Note The Foster Brothers tartan jacket (complete with nylon wool) the chap on the right is wearing. I spent quite a few weekends in this pub. In the eighties Davenport's bought it and renamed it Cagney's (I suppose to compete against Bogart's on New St) Cagney's was much smaller and the bar was downstairs. It was a pub but it was done out like a nightclub, covered in mirrors, it reflected (forgive the pun) the gaudiness of the eighties I suppose. Try as I might, I haven't found anything about Cagney's but I still live in hope.

41807089_10217537088724899_484690018586066944_n.jpg
The girl in the doorway putting her hood up looks so much like my wife.

I remember a Birmingham DJ called Bilbo Baggins I don't know where he played in Brum but he used to play at The Sportsman Arms, in Allesley, Coventry. On The Coventry/Birmingham Road. I think he was in a band I will get more info. Is it OK on this thread?

The older group of lads that I tagged on to who had cars used to go to a Birmingham night club called Rebecca's. They said Brummie's were much more friendly and I adhere strongly to that but I was always afraid of not being able to get home if one of them got off/pulled! So I never went!

Yep, I remember it well, it was up one of those side Streets on New Street, maybe Needless Alley.

But it was just a pub that had a DJ, not a NightClub you had to leave at 10:30 like all Brum pubs back then!
Yes it was up Needless Alley off New Street. It was a pub with a DJ. You went downstairs to it and then it was on two levels. I spent many happy Saturday nights there probably late 60’s early 70’s

The Fillibuster was the pub that was on the corner opposite the Snow Hill car park (The Royal Angus Hotel was just around the corner from it). It changed its name to The West End Bar and was closed down by the police in December 2000. On the same side, if you walked up towards Lloyd House, there was a pub there called UB's, owned by members of UB40. It was a pub before they owned it, anyone remember what it was called?
Hi Barr Beacon it was called Fanny's i think it was a Pub Restaurant .

Hi Barr Beacon it was called Fanny's i think it was a Pub Restaurant .
That was it! Memories coming back to me now trying to suppress adolescent sniggers as I walked by it with my girlfriend.
I'm sure I went to a bar once under The Filibuster called 'The Bodega', can you shed any light on that?

Yes it was up Needless Alley off New Street. It was a pub with a DJ. You went downstairs to it and then it was on two levels. I spent many happy Saturday nights there probably late 60’s early 70’s
Was it Needless Alley where the German Beer Cellar was. That was down stairs, Good beer aswell.

That was it! Memories coming back to me now trying to suppress adolescent sniggers as I walked by it with my girlfriend.
I'm sure I went to a bar once under The Filibuster called 'The Bodega', can you shed any light on that?
Sorry Barr Beacon i don't remember The Bodega bar i stopped going up town in 1973 when i met my wife and we married in 1974 . Raz .

The Fillibuster was the pub that was on the corner opposite the Snow Hill car park (The Royal Angus Hotel was just around the corner from it). It changed its name to The West End Bar and was closed down by the police in December 2000. On the same side, if you walked up towards Lloyd House, there was a pub there called UB's, owned by members of UB40. It was a pub before they owned it, anyone remember what it was called?
It was called Fannys . Raz

Back