• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Comics

Does anyone (probably the ladies...if I'm allowed to say that in these gender free times!) remember a lovely comic called Princess? Then it changed to Princess Tina. Mom fetched it for me every Saturday morning. Oh the excitement, especially when it had a free gift like a beautiful plastic ring! I've still got some of the annuals, and I still love them!

Does anyone (probably the ladies...if I'm allowed to say that in these gender free times!) remember a lovely comic called Princess? Then it changed to Princess Tina. Mom fetched it for me every Saturday morning. Oh the excitement, especially when it had a free gift like a beautiful plastic ring! I've still got some of the annuals, and I still love them!
Princess Tina
Princess Tina was a weekly British girls' comic It was launched on 23 September 1967 by merging Princess and Tina. In 1973 the title was merged into Pink.More at Wikipedia:grinning:

I used to get this, although I doubt it was not my choice. Must have been my dad’s idea as I expect he thought Judy and Bunty were a waste of time and money. But it was full of interesting info.

I bought this one on eBay last year as it had a special article on floating schools, a similar month long trip I was fortunate to go on in 1969. The info is surprisingly detailed, and to me as an adult, looks quite interesting. But I wonder whether it was so engaging to me as a 9 or 10 year old. Viv.

51EF7597-AC7C-48EB-919D-D560ED8EA023.jpeg

281F04CE-AF4C-4FC1-B8F3-6C5C0B955F18.jpeg

Last edited:
I used to get this, although I doubt it was not my choice. Must have been my dad’s idea as I expect he thought Judy and Bunty were a waste of time and money. But it was full of uninteresting info.

I bought this one on eBay last year as it had a special article on floating schools, a similar month long trip I was fortunate to go on in 1969. The info is surprisingly detailed, and to me as an adult, looks quite interesting. But I wonder whether it was so engaging to me as a 9 or 10 year old. Viv.

View attachment 153921
that could be me a very very nice man lol

my favorite in the 50's was Dan Dare in the EAGLE, a bit more expensive but great stories and graphics for the time. Paul

In the 50s you could send away for a Dan Dare pocket watch with an animated figure of Dan Dare firing a "ray gun" and an engraved Eagle logo on the rear. These are much sought after by collectors and are quite rare to get hold of nowadays.

Shown below is my Eagle watch depicting Jeff Arnold, another popular Eagle character.

P1010106 (2).JPGP1010098 (2).JPG

Thanks jimadone, unfortunately, I cam from a very poor family and would never have been able to afford such a luxury, even paid for the comic from my paper round, the store owner would order for me and would pay the next week, though sometimes he would give it to me. great comic though. Paul

In the 1950s neither could I afford such an item. I picked this up at a local auction a few years ago.
I agree about your comments on the superb artwork and storylines.

When young I loved Enid Blyton. Read all the famous 5 books, over and over, they lived in a world I could only dream of, adventures, sea side, lashings of food and drink they had bicycles and rich uncles, everything I did not, so would read them at night tucked up in bed with my torch. Then sleep and dream of going on adventurer's, Paul

Back