• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Scams: Telephone, email, texts, other 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think a lot of money has been wasted by Smart Meter suppliers. I had one fitted by OVO a few years ago and found it very useful - never an estimated reading and I could check my usage and charges on-line at any time. Then I changed supplier to EDF energy but they couldn't read the meter as it was an obsolete 'Generation 1' model. They promised to replace it but this was delayed by Covid and only decided to do it the week before my contract ended. I told them I was leaving them so they didn't proceed. I have now changed to Avro Energy - they say they will not update the meter but would be updating their software so it will read any meter but this would not happen any time soon. So I still have to clamber up my step ladder every month to read the gas meter which is about 7 ft off the ground and can only be read if I'm almost level with the display. The elec meter is lower so not a problem. End of moan!

My energy supplier sends an email every three months asking for meter readings. I go in the garage and photograph the meters. I type the readings using their app and a bill immediately shows on screen. A couple of days later I receive a pdf file showing the actual bill with the direct debit date.

• Appreciate
Reactions: Two
There is a new scam going around (I don't know whether anyone has mentioned it yet), You get a call from a mobile number with an automatic message stating that your National Insurance Number has been compromised and to dial 1 to get through to someone to get it sorted out. This is an obvious scam where they will try to scare you into giving your personal details. I had two such calls on the same day last week which was annoying. You can report this to Action Fraud and you can also visit the "who called me" website where you can share the suspect mobile number with others.
I tried calling one of the mobiles back in an attempt to scambait them but it does not ring.
Another popular scam is for someone to ring people (usually vulnerable people), pretending to be a police officer and state that your bank account has been compromised and that you need to pass your cash to someone who will call at your house and collect it for safe keeping. Police will never call you regarding this and will NEVER ask for money. If this ever happens then hang up, call 101 and report it. You can also contact your bank to ensure your account is safe.

There is a new scam going around (I don't know whether anyone has mentioned it yet), You get a call from a mobile number with an automatic message stating that your National Insurance Number has been compromised and to dial 1 to get through to someone to get it sorted out. This is an obvious scam where they will try to scare you into giving your personal details. I had two such calls on the same day last week which was annoying. You can report this to Action Fraud and you can also visit the "who called me" website where you can share the suspect mobile number with others.
I tried calling one of the mobiles back in an attempt to scambait them but it does not ring.
Another popular scam is for someone to ring people (usually vulnerable people), pretending to be a police officer and state that your bank account has been compromised and that you need to pass your cash to someone who will call at your house and collect it for safe keeping. Police will never call you regarding this and will NEVER ask for money. If this ever happens then hang up, call 101 and report it. You can also contact your bank to ensure your account is safe.
If you are with B T you can get these numbers blocked, you need to contact B T you can block up to 100 numbers should you make a mistake you can unblock a number.

Nick S Phillips ‍♂️.

Had a new one twice in the last couple of day, and Asian call centre offering 'free' wrist bands for us oldies with a call button should we have an emergency, she announces herself as the emergency medical centre but it's actually a private company trying to sell the service.

Had a new one twice in the last couple of day, and Asian call centre offering 'free' wrist bands for us oldies with a call button should we have an emergency, she announces herself as the emergency medical centre but it's actually a private company trying to sell the service.

My first email scam of2021: email reputedly from Royal Mail with all the right logos etc saying that they had tried to deliver a parcel & no answer. Click here, give correct address & PAY £3.00!! No card put through door [we were in!] & Royal Mail don't charge to redeliver. Take care.
I got one of those yesterday, I went to the sorting office to show them. They said they don’t ever send text or email.

Today a package arrived from China containing High quality cable for USB Type C.
I have not ordered it,there is no invoice and the sender's address is in Chinese.
I have checked all my Amazon orders back to Christmas and it is nothing to do with them.
Does anyone know if this is a scam?
Any help would be appreciated.

NoddKD

There have been a lot of reports of mystery parcels arriving from Chine, but anything to do with computers, I would be very careful, you never know, plug it in and empty your bank account, sorry I am a conspiracy theorist.

Bob

I used to be inundated with calls to my landline used to drive me friggin' MAD.
Phone used to ring almost all bloody day.
Anyway my phone line is with Sky & they have something called "Sky Shield"......(it's FREE) so I activated that & have had NO nuisance calls at all since.
Anyone who calls has to say WHO they are & then you will hear that & you will get the option to Press 1 to accept the call or not.
Guess that's what put people off.............It's been brilliant.

If you are with B T you can get these numbers blocked, you need to contact B T you can block up to 100 numbers should you make a mistake you can unblock a number.

Nick S Phillips ‍♂️.
We need something like that in the US, you can block everything number but they only stay blocked for 90 days! I wonder what part of NO they don’t understand?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back