• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

OLD BIRMINGHAM PHOTOS FROM STEVEBHx

I had an Austin Westminster as well as it's equivalent, the Wolseley 6/110. A friend had the 'VandenPlas.' We all aspired to but never did to owning the 4litre 'R'. We thought we were the bees knees lording it about in our old rust buckets.
Yes I know what you mean ,when serving my apprenticeship in the 60's I worked with a Manxman who drove a brand new Wolseley 16/60 two tone brown walnut dashboard I felt like royalty going around in it 1966 reg GOB 708D he traded it in for a Triumph 2000 lemon in colour a year older reg DUE 106C . I didn't feel so regal in that car

Thanks folks!

Pics of 65 New St and surrounds would be nice, I worked there in the 60s.

Steve would I be right by saying the doorway behind the van Birmingham Pool Club , was originally the entrance to The Whisky the nightclub used by almost every mod in Birmingham me included you had to go upstairs to get to club
I am not as old as you think I am, left school in 1980, so You will have to ask someone else I am afraid William

Really enjoying this thread especially the "corner shop" photos. In the early 70s I worked as a van salesman for Reckitt & Colman calling upon grocery, hardware and occasionally newsagents trying to sell the shopkeepers products such as Mr Sheen, Harpic and other cleaning products. I have possibly been in most of the ones on this thread at one time or another!

Steve would I be right by saying the doorway behind the van Birmingham Pool Club , was originally the entrance to The Whisky the nightclub used by almost every mod in Birmingham me included you had to go upstairs to get to club
I was too young to go to all night clubs then but I think you're right, it was on that corner of Navigation Street and John Bright Street - the same place as the Pool Club. There used to be a musical instrument shop underneath if I recall correctly.

Last one the roundabout, I think Nelson was just to the right. The benches where everyone used to rest their feet. Always thought the Bull looked stylish, Note all the scrapes from vehicle on the wall and that junction where the two stream of traffic met .

Bull Ring SC 10 -71.jpg

Re post#512 I do believe the dapper looking chap with the sack barrow in the centre of the picture is a trader named Billy Downing who sold fruit from one of the market stalls.

I was too young to go to all night clubs then but I think you're right, it was on that corner of Navigation Street and John Bright Street - the same place as the Pool Club. There used to be a musical instrument shop underneath if I recall correctly.
Yes the music shop initially a clothes shop named Chetwyns , then later Drumland

Last edited:
Back