• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Windows 10

Phil,

Well I used to go over to Elounda to a guy who I have known for nearly 20 years (before I actually moved here), but a half hour drive and not practical once I stopped driving. Then tried a few more local ones without satisfaction until I found a sweet young lady who helps out as a waitress at one of the local tavernas. She comes to our house and does a splendid job for the same price as I paid my original guy - 10 euros. It's just a case of getting to know about these people.

EDIT: Reference to brickmakers deleted, off topic as is hairdressing - oops! :)

Maurice :cool:

Maurice,

I suppose I started the hairdressing comments but I was using my Windows 10 Acer Computer and very useful it was !
I did search for a 'Lockdown' thread but the nearest one to it was locked ...;)

Back to technical on Windows 10 ... this is what I see when I press the 'Windows' key ... everything I need ...:)
win10start.jpg
Microsoft recently took the bright tile colours off so it looks a bit drab.

Phil

Very organised, Phil, but I got rid of all the blocks as soon as I got my hands on Win10 and installed the the free Win7 lookalike with familiar dropdown menus as follows:-

screen.jpg

screen2.jpg

screen3.jpg

Just had a video sent by friend in CA from his Iphone. Just will not open on Windows10. Doesn't like the format! The MOV suffix seemed familiar to me so is this a recent development? Opens up fine on Kindle.

Phil,

As you say, the best option is the free VLC. In my experience, converting from one video format to another always results in some loss of quality, probably due to the differing compression algorithms used.

Windows 10 and a Logitech C310 did something really useful today helping me with my third lockdown self-haircut.
I used method in #1268 and I'm happy with the result ... :grinning:

I don't think my old joints would allow be to get around the back at all, and it's grown so long now, I wouldn't trust anyone but a hairdresser to get it back into shape!

Unusual use of a Windows 10 computer in lockdown conditions ... :rolleyes:

After the first lockdown started in March my hair round the back was approaching collar-length in June so I had a go with my late wife's hair clippers which have number settings - what could go wrong!

Looking in mirrors my hands moved in opposite directions to what I could see and I found it very difficult. Afterwards my hair was shorter but did not look at all good. Lockdown then lifted and a visit to the barbers in July gave me a decent haircut.

Another lockdown is now in force with visits to barbers not allowed and my hair was again approaching collar-length so something new was needed.

I have a detachable webcam on my Win 10 desktop computer and set it up on a stand so that when I looked at my 24" screen I had a perfect view of the back of my head. I set the numbers on the clippers and had a go. It was easy, my hands moved in the right directions and with careful moves gave myself a very presentable trim round the back.

I then repositioned the stand and webcam to side views and carefully trimmed as required. The webcam took a video of the entire process.

I was well pleased with the results ...:grinning:
i use a dash cam plugged in the pc to see the back when i used the clippers.lol

On my works computer which is networked from an outside source and I keep on permanently, is now showing a strip that reads 'You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly. You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.' I cannot upgrade obviously as it is a networked computer, what does alternative browser mean and can I do that?

Bob

Bob,

Alternative in this case means different. If you are still using Internet Explorer, support for that has stopped or is about to stop. Since you most probably cannot change it yourself, then you may have to call whoever is in charge of your network.

As far as I know HTML standards haven't changed for years so the "outdated browser" message is likely to be a con of some sort. Did it suggest one in particular? Internet Explorer may be so old that Microsoft no longer supports it but it shouldn't have trouble displaying anything from most web pages. Newer browsers are likely to have some better security settings but that's about it.

But HTML 5 brought in a lot more functionality which Internet Explorer would struggle to handle. The security aspect and protocols also come into it. Bob didn't confirm which browser he was using, but that was my best guess.

If the browser that the complaint is about isn't IE, chances are that IE is also on the PC and updated. I doubt they'd suppress windows updates and it should be in with those. There might even be a copy of Edge.

Just had a major Windows 10 (64 bit) update Build 19042. Everything seems to work after taking best part of half an hour to install. Can't see any major difference, certainly doesn't run any faster, but all my usual software seems to work OK.

Hi Maurice,

I notice this Windows 10 thread you're on is different to the one I usually look at.
The W10 update process seems to be more reliable lately. There is a version update due in May but nothing major in it.

Phil .... :)

Back