• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

OLD BIRMINGHAM PHOTOS FROM STEVEBHx

Afternoon, this selection is based on comments from the last trip up Corporation Street these are close ups of the shops taken a few years earlier in 1971, these pictures were part of a shop survey as we have the whole road shop by shop first up Perry Greaves.

View attachment 153267
These "now" shots are as good as I can get allowing for the angles on streetview.
1613836142812.png

Thanks SteveBhx for showing these wonderful photos
My favorites are Soho Road & Holyhead Road
soho-rd-photosW2.jpg
Here is a chance to see some as though you were walking along those roads
Download & open the pdf document below to see the photos
Clicking on a photo should link to larger photo

Attachments

• soho road 2.pdf
    149.4 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
What a great thread STEVEBHx. A couple of months ago I was going to post in the corner shop thread a memory of this building that used to be a shop. It's on the corner of Bordesley Green & Imperial Road. In the late 60s when I was working on the 53 & 54 buses, we used to stop at this shop to get our "billy cans" filled with tea. Hopefully, one day a photo will turn up showing it as a shop.
View attachment 152977View attachment 152976

The beginning of the clip below starts with a film taken from the 53/54 bus heading along Bordesley green in 1960s towards Town. It shows Charles road on left and then the junction of Victoria street and Bordesley Green and a shot looking down Victoria street @ 18 seconds. Then it shows the old Bordesley Green post office (now demolished) and Garrison lane.

The beginning of the clip below starts with a film taken from the 53/54 bus heading along Bordesley green in 1960s towards Town. It shows Charles road on left and then the junction of Victoria street and Bordesley Green and a shot looking down Victoria street @ 18 seconds. Then it shows the old Bordesley Green post office (now demolished) and Garrison lane.

Thank you for posting this Jim, the first 30 seconds brought a lot of memories back for me. My Aunt lived in Victoria Street, and I went to Wyndcliffe School on Little Green Lane. My bus stop was just past the Post Office (outside a sweet shop!) where I caught the 53 bus to take me down to Gordon Street off Garrison Lane. Looking at the video it seems such a long time ago but so familiar at the same time, happy days!

Getting into my part of the country now Steve :), any more Kingstanding stuff?
Sorry Eric - most of the black and white pictures were from a regeneration survey done in the early seventies, nearest I have are a few from Erdington and a couple in Sutton. I only put the ghost sign as I remebered the adverts - think they are still there although it is now the bookies!!

Wow Crowthers ! Post #306 - that’s made my day. I loved that shop and I’ve never seen a photo of the shop anywhere. Thanks so much.

And Janice’s post in #312 confirms what we discussed in the Crowthers thread. Thanks. Viv.

Back