• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Dates of the first tramways up to Villa Cross from Heathfield Road, Villa Road, Lozells Road and Barker Street.

Thank you all for pursuing this line of investigation. From the BNA I had read the plans for tramways along Heathfield Road and Barker Street, but had never read evidence that they existed. Now I know why; they never did. I bought an online ordinance survey map for 1888. Thumbnail below. It confirms all that you kind people have told me.

View attachment 152200
https://midland-ancestors.shop/BH-LXVIII.16.25?search=BH-LXVIII.16.25

The sharp sepia one shows how the electric trams looked. These photos were very kindly emailed to me by Professor Carl Chinn - a Villa fan. :)
View attachment 152203 View attachment 152204

The sepia photo shows the electric tram terminus at the Villa Cross - the overhead power wires have double insulators just past the span, and the conductor can be seen upstairs resetting the pole on the wire. In the foreground can be seen the end of the horse tram lines from Soho Road - a short spur remaining that was soon electrified.

pretty certain there were no trams on barker st and possibly non running down heathfield road...bit more info here

On 23rd November 1874, a branch from Soho Road to Villa Cross via Villa Road was opened off the Birmingham and District Tramways Co. Ltd's horse tram route between Monmouth Street (later Colmore Row) via West Bromwich to Carters Green and Hill Top. Unlike the later tramways, this was to 4' 8½" gauge.
On the 24th May 1876, a new Company, the Birmingham Tramways and Omnibus Company was formed to purchase the tramway, which waas in financial difficulties.
In 1885, the Company’s lease on the Corporation owned sections (within it's boundaries) expired and on 1st January 1886, the Company’s rolling stock and tracks outside the city of Birmingham were purchased by the Birmingham Central Tramways Company, who also took over the lease of the Corporation-owned tracks within the city.
On 24th March 1888, the former horse tram route from Colmore Row to Hockley Brook (by then rebuilt to 3' 6" gauge) was converted to cable traction by the Patent Cable Tramway Company, and, on the 20th April 1889, the line was extended to Handsworth (New Inns). Presumably the remaining sections remained under horse operation until the whole was converted to electric traction by the Corporation.
Lyn, I think you are correct about no trams on Heathfield Rd or Barker St.

No trams ran in Heathfield Rd in later years it was abus route .
CBT opened A route from Victoria Rd to Six Ways Aston27th Oct1904 extended to Aston Stn Dec that year, filly extended Gravelly Hill 25 March 1906. Steam Trams run down Lozells Rd the depot was the the site of the garage buildings just below Villa Cross Pub I not sure I think garage was Colmore I bought my 2nd car from this garage Vauxhall Viva HB best car Iever had .When the boundary changes took in 1911 the CBT was taken over by the Birmingham Corparation 31 Dec of this year. Villa Rd had horse drawn tram cars

CBT opened A route from Victoria Rd to Six Ways Aston27th Oct1904 extended to Aston Stn Dec that year, filly extended Gravelly Hill 25 March 1906. Steam Trams run down Lozells Rd the depot was the the site of the garage buildings just below Villa Cross Pub I not sure I think garage was Colmore I bought my 2nd car from this garage Vauxhall Viva HB best car Iever had .When the boundary changes took in 1911 the CBT was taken over by the Birmingham Corparation 31 Dec of this year. Villa Rd had horse drawn tram cars
Thank Ray, when did trams run on Heathfield Rd?

Thanks Ray. The single tramway up Villa Road and over to its terminus in Lozells Road. It opened 23 Nov 1874. The tramway opened up in Lozells Road October 1885. I therefore assume the tramway divided into two at Villa Cross in 1885 (as shown on an 1888 map) What do you think? (Question relevant to the Villa Cross thread)

The sepia photo shows the electric tram terminus at the Villa Cross - the overhead power wires have double insulators just past the span, and the conductor can be seen upstairs resetting the pole on the wire. In the foreground can be seen the end of the horse tram lines from Soho Road - a short spur remaining that was soon electrified.
Awesome photo's thank you

Back