• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Newtown Row

yes phil its the gt hampton row shops....when we left villa st we moved to uxbridge st just off gt hampton row so i knew those shops well...the tower block on the right is rea tower the one on the the right is teviot tower..little brown jug pub just out of shot on the left

lyn
Hi Lyn,
I notice the grassed area does not look the same today perhaps it has been fenced in to be with the tower where KB took his photo from. The 'Payless' appears to have become a 'Cost Cutter' after all the years.
Phil

yes it has changed quite a bit phil...the payless shop became a co op for many years then costcutter..roy and son was the butchers

lyn

Last edited:
just looked a my map mike...so they were more or less opposite lower tower st then..hard to beleive....

lyn
I was born n Manchester St 1936 and between Manchester and Brewery St was green grocers a butcher a pork butcher Alcocks were i worked part tme while at school then news agents Bellas a barbers Blowers opposite Lower tower St net to that was W shillcocks were l worked after leaving school next to that was another green grocers then the post office then another butchers then on the corner of Brewery st was Boadhurst scrap dealers

I was born n Manchester St 1936 and between Manchester and Brewery St was green grocers a butcher a pork butcher Alcocks were i worked part tme while at school then news agents Bellas a barbers Blowers opposite Lower tower St net to that was W shillcocks were l worked after leaving school next to that was another green grocers then the post office then another butchers then on the corner of Brewery st was Boadhurst scrap dealers
The pork butchers shop was part of Shillcocks before the butchers and was the shop that the F A cup was stollen from

newtown row looking towards city centre. 1978.a few yards behind the city bound bus is no 78 the shop of william shillocks boot and shoe repairers where the original fa cup ws stolen from in 1895..

bookpics027.jpg
Willlam Shillcocks was a football boots and rugby boots manufacturer i worked there early 50s

Here is a photo of a living room in a house in Gee St Newtown in 1920.
note it still has gas lighting, and comes complete with the hole in the celing.
and the rope clothes line hanging above the fire.

Image1_A_room_in_Gee_St_Newtown_1920.jpg

Regards stars
my nans house was like that in 1950s. i loved the gas lighting,and candles to bed:grinning:

I was born in a three-storey council house in Newtown Row - opposite a quite large church (St John's?). Once a week I went with my parents to the sixpenny seats at the local fleapit The Globe Cinema (nearly opposite the Barton Arms.) Once in while, we also went to a rather posher cinema The Orient, which was nearly at Six Ways. Anybody remember any of these?

Yes,every Saturday afternoon my brother and l would go to the Globe and watch Flash Gordon,,Hopalong Casssidy etc,then after wards go to the pie shop just down from the Globe and buy a nice hot pie....a few years later l joined the ABC club at the Orient it was a really step up from the Globe real posh.. this would be the 1940s

I was born in a three-storey council house in Newtown Row - opposite a quite large church (St John's?). Once a week I went with my parents to the sixpenny seats at the local fleapit The Globe Cinema (nearly opposite the Barton Arms.) Once in while, we also went to a rather posher cinema The Orient, which was nearly at Six Ways. Anybody remember any of these?

I remember The Orient , I think when I used the Orient the Globe had disappeared

I remember the Orient!

Yes,every Saturday afternoon my brother and l would go to the Globe and watch Flash Gordon,,Hopalong Casssidy etc,then after wards go to the pie shop just down from the Globe and buy a nice hot pie....a few years later l joined the ABC club at the Orient it was a really step up from the Globe real posh.. this would be the 1940s
It was Saturday morning at the ABC minors at the Orient, and Saturday afternoon at the Bughole (the Globe). An then across the road past the horse trough to the bake potato man.
Dave A

This is probably a question for Mikejee, can anyone pin point number 11 New Town Row please. This is where my 3 x Great Grandparents, Charles and Ann Matthews, were living from 1841 to 1875. Ann appears on many trade directories as a "Furniture Broker/Dealer". A map or photo would be great.

Phil

Phil
I am away from.home at present and do not have access to my laptop. If noone has answered your query by tomorrow, I wikk see what I can do

This is based on 1867 Post Office Directory notes & 1889 map, I am only a novice compared with Mikejee,
and I welcome his expert opinion on this.
newtown row 1867 PO.PNGnewtown-row-1889.jpg

Hello Rob, thanks for the map and P.O. entry. Number 11 is my 3 x great grandmother Ann Matthews. I assume "Walmer Lane brdge" is the canal bridge? Do you know where numbers 9 and 10 would be?

Thanks again
Phil

yes phil that would be the canal bridge and for anyone who does not know in a previous life newtown row used to be call walmer lane

lyn

Back