• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

OLD BIRMINGHAM PHOTOS FROM STEVEBHx

Finally for today 109 Soho Road in 1975, note the Review Bar above the shops with its side entrance, wonder who performed there, again see how tall and deep the buildings are, and the three sizes of window down the side. The old style lamppost and wonder why you need to have bars on the windows three storeys up!!, and of course the old Ford Transit.

View attachment 152966
Sorry - no review bar!!
1613148251032.png

What a great thread STEVEBHx. A couple of months ago I was going to post in the corner shop thread a memory of this building that used to be a shop. It's on the corner of Bordesley Green & Imperial Road. In the late 60s when I was working on the 53 & 54 buses, we used to stop at this shop to get our "billy cans" filled with tea. Hopefully, one day a photo will turn up showing it as a shop.
View attachment 152977View attachment 152976
I will have a look and see what I can find currently I have corner shops, cafes and pubs as my folders as they are easiest to see - there are many photos that have to be cleaned ( pen marks identifying advert locations). Nothing promised but keep looking.

Really nice to see some pics of the 70s from Handsworth, Winson Green and surrounding areas. Jogging my useless memory banks lol

Finally for today 109 Soho Road in 1975, note the Review Bar above the shops with its side entrance, wonder who performed there, again see how tall and deep the buildings are, and the three sizes of window down the side. The old style lamppost and wonder why you need to have bars on the windows three storeys up!!, and of course the old Ford Transit.

View attachment 152966
I went in there on my stag night 1970 , it was ok needless to say I didn't frequent these sorts of places I preferred pubs really, a pint a game of darts what more could you ask for . It's also cheaper

Good afternoon

I have a few cafes for you today - I use the word loosely as some I wouldn't go near !!
First up is Football joes cafe which is an Irish Maltese cafe apparently. Love the Pepsi sign and the fact they offer B& B
Hello! well, here we go, my first message on this forum.... bit scary! computers are not my strong point, I've only just got used to colour televisions! Anyway, I've got memories of this cafe, it was on the Warwick Road just around the bend off the Stratford Road, opposite the Mermaid (and it's old green victorian gentlemens urinal!) and it happened to be where the old 44 bus stop was, on the out of town side. I remember all of this as every Sunday my Mom would drag, sorry, take my two sisters and myself off to Nans' on the bus from our home in Tyseley, Reddings Lane, to Warstock, Daisy Farm Road! It was quite a trip, catching the 44 outside my old school Yardley Grammar (sadly gone now) to the Mermaid, which was where we got off the town bound 44 to run round the Mermaid to catch our 24 on the Stratford Road to go all the way to the terminus to visit our Nan! Happy days! Thanks for jogging memories for me with this picture!

smashing memories barry...i note you have been a member of the forum since 2017 and are just making your first posts....keep up the good work and enjoy:):)

lyn

Hello! well, here we go, my first message on this forum.... bit scary! computers are not my strong point, I've only just got used to colour televisions! Anyway, I've got memories of this cafe, it was on the Warwick Road just around the bend off the Stratford Road, opposite the Mermaid (and it's old green victorian gentlemens urinal!) and it happened to be where the old 44 bus stop was, on the out of town side. I remember all of this as every Sunday my Mom would drag, sorry, take my two sisters and myself off to Nans' on the bus from our home in Tyseley, Reddings Lane, to Warstock, Daisy Farm Road! It was quite a trip, catching the 44 outside my old school Yardley Grammar (sadly gone now) to the Mermaid, which was where we got off the town bound 44 to run round the Mermaid to catch our 24 on the Stratford Road to go all the way to the terminus to visit our Nan! Happy days! Thanks for jogging memories for me with this picture!
Well Barry that wasn't difficult, thanks for adding colour to the pictures, I await your next answer

Next we have The Plaza Ballroom Rookery Road in 1971, yes I lied this is a ballroom, same sort of layout with the stained and leaded glass but this has been painted over I feel making it look a little shabby. Sorry I could not remove the felt tip, so you can see where the new sign was going.Plaza Ballroom Rookey Road 71.jpg

Next we have the Liberty Cinema on the Moseley Road in 1976, still showing films. Nice and tidy and if you look closely leaded glass in some of the windows. First car on the left is a Hillman Hunter I believe.Liberty Cinema Moseley Road 76.jpg

Last edited:
Next is the Kingston on the corner of Kingston Road and Coventry Road, 1976, I like the fine dot dash brickwork - I know it has a name , again the leaded windows and love the traditional cinema door that took a good shove to open.Kingston Coventry Road.jpg

Last edited:
Finally an apology if this is a duplicate, I did post some pictures, of this cinema on the appropriate section but couldn't find it - couldn't see for hearts :) . Feel free to copy /move if it is not there.
This is the Kingstanding Cinema on its opening day I believe, now this is not a council photo, but due to the sticky on the back of the picture I cannot make out the source. This is a classic art deco cinema need I say more.

Kingstanding Odeon (6).jpg

great cinema photos steve...re the odeon kingstanding now a bingo hall..it really is a marvelous example of art deco..just before lockdown last march i was granted permission to take my camera up into the gods as its still in its original condition including the seats...lockdown put paid to sorting out a date to visit but hopefully when all is once again safe i shall be there with my camera

lyn

Hi Phil,

I certainly remember the Imperial Cinema (later The Cave), I used it when it was a cinema every Saturday afternoon for years at the kids matinee at 6d a session. I don't remember the glass roofed lean-to that you indicate being there in the early 50's and it was certainly gone tin the 60's as indicated by this photo of my old 3rd year form tutor at Dennis Road School Mr Jones taken outside the side exit of the cinema on Clifton Road.

View attachment 137703View attachment 137704

Hi Jim, sorry I cannot help with name, not my neck of the woods sorry Steve
I was pretty sure that it was. needed a couple of "Phils" to confirm!

Good evening something different today Cinemas, first up is The Rock, on Alum, Rock Road, note all the leaded glass and stained glass, looking remarkably complete with a Vauxhall Chevette in the car park

View attachment 153032
Some additional info here - Rock Cinema
As far as I can tell it would have been roughly here - the school is St Saviours School - probably across that site and the building work shown.
1613391066539.png

Next we have the Liberty Cinema on the Moseley Road in 1976, still showing films. Nice and tidy and if you look closely leaded glass in some of the windows. First car on the left is a Hillman Hunter I believe.View attachment 153035
It seems to be listed in phone books as the Imperial until about 1975 and the it becomes the Liberty. So it is the same place - 516 Moseey Road
Extra info here - Imperial
1613392231797.png

Next is the Kingston on the corner of Kingston Road and Coventry Road, 1976, I like the fine dot dash brickwork - I know it has a name , again the leaded windows and love the traditional cinema door that took a good shove to open.View attachment 153037
A bit of difficulty locating this one as Kingston Road appears to now be blocked off at that junction which threw me.
1613393206923.png

Finally an apology if this is a duplicate, I did post some pictures, of this cinema on the appropriate section but couldn't find it - couldn't see for hearts :) . Feel free to copy /move if it is not there.
This is the Kingstanding Cinema on its opening day I believe, now this is not a council photo, but due to the sticky on the back of the picture I cannot make out the source. This is a classic art deco cinema need I say more.

View attachment 153038
Extra info here - Kingstanding Cinema
1613393551171.png

Thought we would have a trip up town today - Corporation street in 1975, this street has always fascinated me with all the ornamental brickwork above shop level, arches balconies and little porticos also note the light strung between the buildings and the traffic light on the corner.

1A Corporation Street 1975.jpg

Back