• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Hugh Sumner Convalescent Home Malvern

bryan summers

ASTON LAD
In about 1947 I was sent from a Birmingham hospital to what I believe was called the Hugh Sumner convalescent home in Malvern. does anybody else remember this place?

Hello Bryan, Yes, I do remember the Hugh Sumner convalescent home in Malvern. I was ten years old (in 1947) when I went there having been sent, like yourself, by a Birmingham hospital; probably the Children's Hospital. I expected to stay there for two weeks, but unfortunately, chicken pox broke out which meant I had to stay for an extra two weeks. I must admit that I didn't like the experience and I also disliked the food which might sound ungrateful but it really was awful. I remember going for a walk with all the other children up the hills to St Ann's Well where we drank water from the well. Anthea.

Hi Anthea. You must have been there about the same time as me. I too remember a walk into Malvern It was deep snow and they issued us with wellies. I also remember one of the staff who must have been French because very time she came to clear away our plates she said Fini? I also remember putting great lumps fat into my pocket (because they insisted we eat it because it was good for us). It wasn't discovered until I got home - to the great disgust of my parents.

hi bryan think you may have posted in the wrong place as you have started a new thread but anthea has not posted on it

lyn

Hello Bryan, Yes, I do remember the Hugh Sumner convalescent home in Malvern. I was ten years old (in 1947) when I went there having been sent, like yourself, by a Birmingham hospital; probably the Children's Hospital. I expected to stay there for two weeks, but unfortunately, chicken pox broke out which meant I had to stay for an extra two weeks. I must admit that I didn't like the experience and I also disliked the food which might sound ungrateful but it really was awful. I remember going for a walk with all the other children up the hills to St Ann's Well where we drank water from the well. Anthea.
Hi Anthea. I did reply to your message but I'm new to this and I gather I sent it on the wrong thread. You must have been at Hugh Sumner the same year as me. I too remember being taken for a walk into Malvern. It was deep snow and they issued us with wellies. As for the food, I remember they insisted we eat the fat off the (very fatty) meat. I hated it and used to surreptitiously stuff it into my coat packet - to the great distress of my parents when I got home. I also recall a member of staff who must have been French because she always said Fini? before collecting our empty plates.

Hello Bryan, I didn't mention the awful food that we were offered !!! But I also used to surreptitiously manage to keep the awful fish food in my mouth and get rid of it in the nearest toilet ! I always hoped that nobody would speak to me or I would have had a problem....

Back