• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Icknield port road

W

webbloke

we lived in icknield port road or "square" early sixties at the back of the butchers(we rented from him) i remember ted rogers the bookies on monument road i think, iwent to follet osler school, i also remember the baths.

chris O0

Remember the name of the Butchers Chris, could it be Price's.

If anyone else could help I'd be very happy. :)

i also remeber the long treck down the gardin to the bog! :2funny: also round the back was our playground "the bomb peck" (building site), i think it may have been prices the butcher, i do remember he was a miserable get :tickedoff:

chris

If it was it was a realation and I think there were three of them and they were miserable. :eek:

Hello webbloke (Nice handle  O0) & Alf mate  :coolsmiley:

The name Icknield is still going strong & carried proudly forward (100 years + & present)

by the Birmingham Icknield Male Voice Choir ,, New recruits welcomed,, Sorry no Gals allowed  :2funny:

I was born in this rd, in 1964!! My mom borrowed £200 to buy a house, that was later condemed!!lol, dont know number:D

My great grandfather John Fellows, and many of his brothers and sisters, and later on, his children, lived in various houses up and down Icknield Port Road, during the late 19th and early 20th century, before settling down for good in St. Marks street, Ladywood. The entire family never seemed to move too far from Summerfield park. I have never seen it but it must be nice. There is a reservoir too, nearby.

I dont think it was that nice, slums i should imagine, and now, ugly 1960s council houses/flats, unless they have done the place up!! I was near there a couple of years ago, and it wasnt nice.

We lived at St Stephens Place Newtown Row, there were 8 Houses and I went in everyone from time to time.

In all that time I don't ever remember a untidy house, the people were kind they took pride in it and made sure we did as well or you were for it.

Some of the things that helped them were Mouse Traps, Fly Papers and powder for Silver Fish. I know now why DAMP.

If you didn't do what you were told it was Bed no ifs & buts, anything worse a good hidng and with my Mother you didn't want anymore, but there was always a CANE standing somwhere in the room and she used it.

Are the people of today missing something or what?

There wouldn't be Slums without people.

There are lots of great stories about this on the Forum.

Interesting posts,
Does anyone remember "Park Terrace" on Icknield Port road? that is where the Fellows' lived at the turn of the century. The back to backs were still there in the 60's, I believe. I wish it were as simple as going to Google Earth and having a look. :)

Alf, i think you think im having a go at the people who lived there? Why would I? And yes, people were house proud, of course, but it doesnt escape the fact, that many of these houses should have been knocked down years ago, well before the 60s, most of my family were from the Ladywood/Edgbaston area, and some of them were losing children/babies at the turn of the 1900s, due to living conditions!! I know our house was a slum, my mom told me so, but thats not a slur on the people who lived in them!!! In fact, im very proud of the way, my parents picked themselves up, and brought another house, and got on with life!

In those days conditions made SLUMS
Not the people
Today people make slums not the conditions

Sheronb,I think nothing like that never do just telling as it was, all I know is that those 'Slums' were built in the 30s and my Mother moved in there in 1935 and all of those houses were kept as I saw them. I said we had Mouse Traps, Flypapers & Silver Fish (DAMP) .

Sometimes I tend to wind up people but I don't have to say I JEST.

Cromwell people do make Slums, take theses new Estates you see them everywhere.:rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
Bordering on Edgbaston, like many other areas of Birmingham, Ladywood/Summerfield has its well preserved parts and run-down parts. The last two refuges there for those living in the not so good areas are now under threat.

As a boy/youth from Winson Green and later Ladywood, I loved the "Ressa" (Reservoir) and Summerfield Park. The Ressa is now under threat of housing development and Park looks terribly neglected.

Below are some photos I took at the Ressa in 1992, all taken from the Icknield Port Road side...

OISIN

Lovely photos what type of Film were you using was it AGFA that Film, they were always bright colours:)

Hi Kmt
Just Read Your Request Regarding
The Subject John Tustin
Are You Relative To Alan Tustin And Co .
Whom Lived With There Mom ,years Ago Down Aberdeen St
Winson Green , Just Down From The Summerfield Park
If So I Do Recall You And The Family
And If So You Would Recall Johny Dunkly And Family
Whom Moved From St Marks St Ladywood To
Aberdeen St In The Houses Oppersite The House
Where I Think You Lived ,
If I Am Right Its Good News John
Best Wishes Astonian , ;;;;;

Re: follet osler

does anyone remember john tustin?

I went to Barford rd school with Roger Tustin, His dad owned the little sweet shop in Marroway street, When he left scool he was working as a scaffolder, dunno whether John was Rogers dad.

there was afew pubs up that rd
at least to my knowledge
starting at the monument rd end through to dudley rd end
six in all . i say that , but some-one will say
that the pub addres will be classed as momument rd
and the one the other will be dudley rd listing .
i think the one on top end was the reindeer . then there was two facing each other one on freeth st side and the rd facing clarkes street that one was called the glass blowers arms
i just cannot think at the moment of the one oppersite
meaning the freeth arms ,
then there was one just up past the crown ,that one always eludes me today as it when i was doing the rounds
then the brick layers arms then the wheatsheaf at the top
of ickneild port rd and dpwn to the shakespear along to the lee bridge tavern and back to albert kirby [the windmill ]
ickneild port rd most certainly had alot of choice for pubs
cor ;; they was the days my freinds , we thought theywouldnever end . has julie duram of the seekers sang on the juke boxs
best wishes to you all astonian ;;;

Fellowkev,
Just read your old mention re; Icknield Port Road. Yardley.In 1871 My Grandmother and her siblings plus my Great Grandparents all lived at, 2,St.James Buildings.Icknield Port Road. The name was Pardoe. 6 of them, in one of those tiny houses. I think they would have considered themselves lucky as the Father had work as a Stover and the eldest boy 15yrs a Tiler.
I am searching for old maps and pics of that road and era.
Best wishes,Pam

My great grandfather John Fellows, and many of his brothers and sisters, and later on, his children, lived in various houses up and down Icknield Port Road, during the late 19th and early 20th century, before settling down for good in St. Marks street, Ladywood. The entire family never seemed to move too far from Summerfield park. I have never seen it but it must be nice. There is a reservoir too, nearby.

Hello , just seen your input on

HELLO,I JUST CAME ACROSS THIS INPUT AS REGARDS (THE FELLOWS FAMILY) LIVING IN LADYWOOD, WE LIVED IN THE PORT UNTIL REHOUSED IN THE EARLY FIFTIES!, and we are fellows, I have done some Genealogy & we had a John Fellows , Im wondering if we are related ?. Melvyn Fellows.

Lyn great picture's yet again . when I started secondary school 1960-64 in the art class on a Monday afternoon I sat next to a girl from Icknield Port Rd . I was that smitten that I saved a couple of coppers from the weekend and bought a packet of fruit gums with a little love letter I wrote stuck between the wrapper . Needless to say at that age my heart was thumping , alas the gums were eaten but nothing came of it . I saw the same young lady outside the Locarno in about 1966 , needless to say the throb wasn't there this time , someone else had stolen my heart .

Thanks Oisin still very nice:)
I was born 109 Icknield Port road. 1961. I was the youngest of six. Mcmahon. There was a news agents shop few doors up called the Prices. Next to there was the gates to the Reservoir. Lots of days spent there. Our houses was owned by British waterways. Up the road was coxs bakers & across from there was summer field crescent. Mr browns the grocers & post office. Next to him was the shoe repairs. Joans the hairdressers were my sister worked. Ada's sweet shop. Would love to see photos if any one has some of that part of Icknield port rd. Would like to see them? Thank you.

Back