• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Old style food still going strong

Status
Not open for further replies.
For our vegetarians, do people still eat nut loaf ? I remember it being the main vegetarian dish when restaurants were switching on to offering a vegetarian option. Is it still popular today ? Viv.

My husband had liver and onions last night (I had chicken kiev instead!) the smell is still lingering even with the doors open!
We still have Spam, I heard once it was from "Specially Prepared American Meat" but I'm not sure.

That is almost what I am about to have now, bacon, sausage fried egg, beans/ tomatoes/spaghetti, and of course fried bread. When I hear of what they advise me not to eat, and take into account all the lard on toast and what about the old lardie cakes, and then sugar sandwiches when mom couldn't afford anything else, and still going at 89, I'm certainly not going to change now.

Just had gammon and fried cabbage and onion with a mustard sauce. Think this was once an old-style favourite. Remember gammon’s returning popularity in the 1960s/70s topped with pineapple ? Then I think it dropped out of favour again. Probably too salty for the health conscious. Viv.

Just had gammon and fried cabbage and onion with a mustard sauce. Think this was once an old-style favourite. Remember gammon’s returning popularity in the 1960s/70s topped with pineapple ? Then I think it dropped out of favour again. Probably too salty for the health conscious. Viv.
Viv, my wife makes a US version of gammon and pineapple. She soaks the ham in ginger ale to leach out most of the sodium. Still a little to salty for my sodium reduced diet but VERY good!

Useful tip Richard. Shall try that next time. We don’t have it too often, but it’s a great quick dish for a lazy Saturday lunch. Viv.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back