• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Lyndon Road Sheldon

OldBrummie

master brummie
Hi. I haven't come across Kellys before but I'm guessing it contains listings of people living in particular streets. I'm trying to trace family and friends from 1937 who lived in LYNDON Rd, Sheldon - odd numbers 269 to 292. I believe that is the year the houses were built as I know my father took posesion of his house in that year.
Any help greatfully received.

Old Brummie

Kellys were originally mainly for listing firms. Over the years some individual private addresses were also included, but, for some reason, the coverage was sparce in soem areas. Have looked at 1937,1950, 1962 and 1973 (the last Kellys) and in all of those years there are virtually no private listings in Lyndon road, and none of the numbers you listed. Your best bet would be https://www.midlandshistoricaldata.org/ , where the electoral rolls for selected years up to 1955 are available . This would only include those of voting age .

Hi Mikejee.

Thanks for that. We have a similar publication here in Sydney that was originally a business directory but was expanded to include private addresses. I was hoping Kelly's would be the same. I will follow up with your advice and see if I can get a result.

Best wishes and thanks again. OldBrummie.

Hi. I haven't come across Kellys before but I'm guessing it contains listings of people living in particular streets. I'm trying to trace family and friends from 1937 who lived in LYNDON Rd, Sheldon - odd numbers 269 to 292. I believe that is the year the houses were built as I know my father took posesion of his house in that year.
Any help greatfully received.

Old Brummie
Hi Joe, Have had a look on Kelley's 1938 and there is no info, Hope you are keeping well. Lou.

As Lyndon Rd is in Olton Solihull I doubt it would be found in a Birmingham edition of Kelly's. Is there a seperate edition for Solihull?

Phil

Phil
I think Solihull is included in the warwickshire edition, which does not have a street listing. your comment would explain why there were only a few buildings listed. Presumably it runs over the border , and i was just seeing the few in birmingham. Many tons did have a small edition of kellys, which did have street listings. possibly solihul did, but I haven't got one
Mike

As Lyndon Rd is in Olton Solihull I doubt it would be found in a Birmingham edition of Kelly's. Is there a seperate edition for Solihull?

Phil

Phil, Not sure about this but when I was a kid (in the 40's) our address was Lyndon Road, Sheldon, Birmingham 26. Later, in the mid to late 50's if I recall, Princess Margaret officiated at the changing of the boundaries when we became Lyndon Road, Solihull. My specific interest is in the period when the houses were first built which I understand was between 1936 and '37. Dad took posession of No 279 in (I think) mid '37. I'd even like to find out who the Builder (company) was if at all possible but don't know how I'd go about that.

OldBrummie.

Jan 2021 A query cropped up today and I couldn't answer it. I was born in Solihull Hospital Maternity Section - Dr R L Washington doing the honors. His practice was in Lyndon Road close to the cinema. He took on a partner Dr Robinson. I need to find out (if someone can remember) the name of the third Doctor who joined the practice when Dr Washington retired. Thanks, Peter. (Old Brummie)

In the 1954 phone book the practice is listed as ;
1611827331734.png
I will try and search later phone books.
The problem is that after that they seem to list the doctors rather than the practices.

Last edited:
In the 1954 phone book the practice is listed as ;
View attachment 152280
I will try and search later phone books.
The problem is that after that they seem to list the doctors rather than the practices.

Janice, thanks. Though Dr Basil V (and I am assuming Physns is Physician) Doesn't ring any bells. The Doctor
I am looking for moved to the new estate back beyond Lyndon School.
Peter.

Janice, thanks. Though Dr Basil V (and I am assuming Physns is Physician) Doesn't ring any bells. The Doctor
I am looking for moved to the new estate back beyond Lyndon School.
Peter.
Janice a correction. I think I am right in assuming Dr Basil V is (or was) Robinson and not a separate doctor. P.

Yes - it confused me as well.
The new estate was built in about then - we moved there in 1954 for 2 years before we moved back to Shirley - our house backed onto Lyndon School playing fields.

Last edited:
Janice, a little bit of history of the area. Where Daylesford Road takes off Lyndon Road all the way up to what was Garners Greengrocery shop was originally a dairy farm. Opposite 275 and 277 Lyndon Road were the milking sheds. After 1940 when the Germans were trying to bomb the Rover factory, which they completely missed, we ended up with about 3 or 4 bomb craters within a couple of hundred yards of Lyndon Road. This included at least one crater on the Rover sports field. On the same land as the sports field, was stationed an Ack Ack Battery, protected by a Barrage Balloon. On one night, with a reasonable wind, the Barrage Balloon broke its tether and drifted towards Lyndon Road, dragging the tether with it. Somehow it got caught at No 287 Lyndon Road (Ken & Connie Cook) and see-sawed on their roof, causing unbelievable panic for the Cooks. Dad was an ARP Warden on duty that night and was the one who had to 'calm them down'. After the war, as usually happens, the craters filled with (rain) water. On a weekend, Dad would take a small fishing rod and a camp chair and go and sit at one of the ponds, making out he was busy fishing. But I believe he was just relaxing and 'getting away from it all'.
Then, the roads went in. Houses started going up and Lyndon School grew up out of the fields. A connection here. Dad was appointed one of the first Governors of Lyndon School. My brother and I used to sit at our bedroom window (279 Lyndon Rd, right opposite Daylesford Road) and watch the cranes building the school. Oh happy days! And I can still see it all. Peter.

Yes, my Dad's taxi service was above Newbridge Road and above the group of shops going up the hill.
Did you live in Newbridge Road

Janice, a little bit of history of the area. Where Daylesford Road takes off Lyndon Road all the way up to what was Garners Greengrocery shop was originally a dairy farm. Opposite 275 and 277 Lyndon Road were the milking sheds. After 1940 when the Germans were trying to bomb the Rover factory, which they completely missed, we ended up with about 3 or 4 bomb craters within a couple of hundred yards of Lyndon Road. This included at least one crater on the Rover sports field. On the same land as the sports field, was stationed an Ack Ack Battery, protected by a Barrage Balloon. On one night, with a reasonable wind, the Barrage Balloon broke its tether and drifted towards Lyndon Road, dragging the tether with it. Somehow it got caught at No 287 Lyndon Road (Ken & Connie Cook) and see-sawed on their roof, causing unbelievable panic for the Cooks. Dad was an ARP Warden on duty that night and was the one who had to 'calm them down'. After the war, as usually happens, the craters filled with (rain) water. On a weekend, Dad would take a small fishing rod and a camp chair and go and sit at one of the ponds, making out he was busy fishing. But I believe he was just relaxing and 'getting away from it all'.
Then, the roads went in. Houses started going up and Lyndon School grew up out of the fields. A connection here. Dad was appointed one of the first Governors of Lyndon School. My brother and I used to sit at our bedroom window (279 Lyndon Rd, right opposite Daylesford Road) and watch the cranes building the school. Oh happy days! And I can still see it all. Peter.

thanks peter what great memories...

lyn

Astoness, I don't know why, maybe my age, but I've suddenly become somewhat nostalgic for the 'old days' and memories are suddenly jumping out and reminding me of so many events from the past. One particular one was a program on TV about Wales. Suddenly I was on the promenade at Barmouth in 1946 - our families' first ever holiday and I could see it all as clear as day. I hope this lasts! Peter.

OldBrummie,

I well remember Barmouth during and just after the war as my uncle & aunt were caretaker's for Greeners of gunsmith fame, who had a house with a lodge there - they lived in the lodge, of course. I remember my younger brother & me being carried on the shoulders of two uncles along the beach in the direction of Tal-y-bont and going into a cave there. I've been back many times since, but have never been able to find the cave that we visited in 1943 for the first time. But I've unintentionally wandered away from Lyndon Road, which I don't know at all. You shouldn't have brought those memories back to life! :)

Maurice :cool:

Back