• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

OLD BIRMINGHAM PHOTOS FROM STEVEBHx

SteveBhx

master brummie
Steve here,
I had the fortune to work with the great Geoff Thompson at Birmingham planning department when they were clearing out their offices, I also came across the same selection of photos and slides that were been thrown out and could only work out later why the number of pictures kept reducing and often panicked me that actually someone needed the pictures!!
As you may be aware the black and white pictures were used for advert applications, colour slide were for urban regeneration comparison.
I have 100+ colour slide and 300+ black and white pictures, these have occasionally been used in local history books and for study purposes.
I have started scanning the photos and hope to post a selection on the appropriate pages - I have attached a sample from the selection of corner shops many no longer exist and include the many old adverts and vehicles from the age - the one I have attached is 121 Borsesley Green from 1974
Hopefully you will enjoy my posts
Steve

Many thanks to oldMohawk for providing the document below:

Index to Photos in this Thread:

Attachments

• 121 Bordesley Green - 74.jpg
    121 Bordesley Green - 74.jpg
    704.3 KB · Views: 570
Last edited:
Steve here,
I had the fortune to work with the great Geoff Thompson at Birmingham planning department when they were clearing out their offices, I also came across the same selection of photos and slides that were been thrown out and could only work out later why the number of pictures kept reducing and often panicked me that actually someone needed the pictures!!
As you may be aware the black and white pictures were used for advert applications, colour slide were for urban regeneration comparison.
I have 100+ colour slide and 300+ black and white pictures, these have occasionally been used in local history books and for study purposes.
I have started scanning the photos and hope to post a selection on the appropriate pages - I have attached a sample from the selection of corner shops many no longer exist and include the many old adverts and vehicles from the age - the one I have attached is 121 Borsesley Green from 1974
Hopefully you will enjoy my posts
Steve
Hi, and welcome Steve. Believe me, there will be lots of members desperate to see the pictures you have. Looking forward to seeing them if, and when, you have time to post. Hope you enjoy your time with us.

hello steve and welcome...all i can say is WOW..as an avid collector of pre demo photos i will look forward to seeing your photos...thank you so much for saving them and wanting to share them with this history forum...we cant go back and take them again can we so they are very precious...

as you have so many to post could i suggest that when time permits you post them all on this thread with the locations if you can...this will save you an awful lot of time trying to locate each individual thread for each photo

i also think that you deserve a better thread title and the thread placed in a more appropriate section of the forum

dont worry about this because once you have made a start we will make those changes for you

this is only an idea steve you are of course most welcome to post your photos in any way that suits you best

many thanks you are a star

lyn

Last edited:
hello steve and welcome...all i can say is WOW..as an avid collector of pre demo photos i will look forward to seeing your photos...thank you so much for saving them and wanting to share them with this history forum...we cant go back and take them again can we so they are very precious...

as you have so many to post could i suggest that when time permits you post them all on this thread with the locations if you can...this will save you an awful lot of time trying to locate each individual thread for each photo

i also think that you deserve a better thread title and the thread placed in a more appropriate section of the forum

dont worry about this because once you have made a start we will make those changes for you

this is only an idea steve you are of course most welcome to post your photos in any way that suits you best

many thanks you are a star

lyn

Hi Lyn and members
many thanks for the welcome and comments, I wanted to post a few pictures and then see the reaction - more than worth it.
I am happy for you to move, retitle and combine the posts in one place as you say I don't have to worry or more to the point get fed up and stop posting!.
A bit more background on the pictures - numbers in the top corner are a long lost reference - they used to draw on the picture to locate adverts, chinagraph- I have removed, felt are there forever - I will make a decision on the historic worth of the picture before I post with lines over them.
There are 70 corner shops which I have scanned, other subject areas are pubs, shops, cafes, city centre shops, garages and then we move into advert hoardings, walls ( with advert on them) and derelict industrial site.
I also have a large collection of slides, Mark Norton scanned these then put them on a disk with Geoff Thompsons slides so I will have to re scan so you get only mine
Thanks again for the welcome
Steve

hi steve your photos will be lapped up on this forum and have a come at a very good time what with covid in our uppermost thoughts...the photos will provide us with not only some great historical content but also give our members a welcome distraction..i noticed that you have alread started a corner shop shop thread so would you like to continue posting your corner shop photos on that thread and then all the others you have just post on this thread and us moderators will sort out a new thread title and position on the forum for you ??

lyn

Last edited:
How I wished I had had a camera to take some similar shots in my younger day, but I didn't get my first camera until I was 20 and processing film was quite expensive and I guess I had so many other things on my mind. If only we were blessed with the foresight to see 50 or 60 years ahead at that age then perhaps things would undoubtedly be very different. :)

Maurice :cool:

Hi Lyn that will be fine I finished scanning the corner shops yesterday - they do vary in the amount of interest but I am sure there will be something in most picture for someone to enjoy

Steve

thats great steve ...in your own time..looking forward to seeing the other corner shop photos...what a treat your photos will be

lyn

How I wished I had had a camera to take some similar shots in my younger day, but I didn't get my first camera until I was 20 and processing film was quite expensive and I guess I had so many other things on my mind. If only we were blessed with the foresight to see 50 or 60 years ahead at that age then perhaps things would undoubtedly be very different. :)

That is the advantage of the old Public works department of the council, they can afford to send a bod out to photograph the building where a new advert application related to

Steve,

Was that in the days when the Public Works Dept used to be in the Civic Centre, now Baskerville House? Or am I going too far back for you?

Steve,

Was that in the days when the Public Works Dept used to be in the Civic Centre, now Baskerville House? Or am I going too far back for you?

I was around in that time massive warren of corridors, basement was where the public Works print labs were - you could smell it before you got through the door - massive H &S risk today !

Steve,

I knew several who worked there in the late 1950s, but all names now escape me apart from one, Gordon Parsons, who had been at school with me

Last edited by a moderator:
Good afternoon
as I am posting here you will gather its not a corner shop - you can have too much of a good thing.
These are colour pictures of the Bull Ring Rotunda area, sunny day summer but nothing on the photo so I will leave you to guess the year. The market is in full swing and there are plenty of cranes about

Attachments

• img086.jpg
    img086.jpg
    558.4 KB · Views: 415
Last edited:
again smashing photos steve...scenes i remember so well...so miss the old shops and especially the old bull ring market

lyn

hi steve as promised i have now changed the title of this thread and also moved it to the old photographs section of the forum...

lyn

Back