• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Dudley Road Hospital -Peter Walker

Hi Lyn
SEN stands for State Enrolled Nurse which was a very practical hands on role which nowadays is done by Health Care Assistants. SRN stands for State Registered Nurse which was a longer more academic course. The SEN role has now gone and all nurses had to undergo further training if they wished to remain in nursing. I was an SEN and decided to undergo further training to become a State Registered Sick Children's Nurse (RSCN). However all qualified nurses are now known as Registered General Nurses. I did my original training at Good Hope Hospital Nursing School and my children's training with the University and at Birmingham Children's Hospital which was then at Five Ways. We moved soon after to Steelhouse Lane and I was there for another 8 years, never knowing that the Bulls Head pub across the road was run by my great great great great grandfather in the 1800's!

State Enrolled Nurse was a two year course and you had more limited promotion prospects compared to a State Registered Nurse who trained for three years. Day to day clinical role was much the same, both could issue patient medications etc.

My mom nursed there (SRN), my wife also then went on to become a Registered Mental Health Nurse at All Saint's. She retired in 2018 after forty years and got called back March last year to nurse due to covid...great retirement :(

Diane, did you do your training with Maria Aldridge? She went missing from Dudley Road Hospital in 1968. I’m helping her sister try to find her.
You know way back then never even remember it being in the news that she had disappeared. I have read about her disappearance since I do believe she was a cadet nurse, the next step to nurse training.
The more I have read the hospital itself was very lax in how they handled her disappearance.
Of course way back then Matron’s word was law, and nothing it seemed passed her by, but Maria disappearance did.

Hello everyone.
Found this forum by accident whilst looking up NHS 70 years celebrations.
Lovely to read about D.R.H.
I started my training there August 1949.
Very hard work ,extremely strict Matron and Sisters ,no answering back in those days .
One of the letters on here referred to leeches and yes, we did have to learn to lay up sterile trolleys for applying leeches in my time.
I think a lot of people are mixing up D.R.H. and Western Rd. Infirmary.
In 1950 patients who could no longer be treated and had no one to care for them were transferred to Western Rd. I visited several times to see patients who I had cared for.One was a lady to whom I gave my first injection. I have never forgotten her.
I left D.R.H in 1954 eventually retiring in 1994 after practising Midwifery for 22 years. Now living in Hampshire.
Regards to all.
If anyone reads this who trained about same time would love to hear from them.....

hi aretas and welcome..what a lovely first post you have made and very informative as well...hope you enjoy the forum :)

lyn

Does anyone know what happened to babies that dies in Dudley Road hospital in 1956? I have a neighbour who had a sister born in that year and who only lived for less than 48 hours. Her mother was told the baby would be 'dealt with' and she never saw the baby again. My neighbour says that it always plays on her mind and would love to know what happened to her sister, Jayne. I have searched the www.birminghamregisters.co.uk to no avail. SANDS recommend contact with the hospital through a general email address but I am unable to find an email address for Birmingham City hospital previously Dudley Road. Can anyone help, please? TIA NOTE: I have now found and paid for the burial record from www.birminghamregisters.co.uk where I found the name spelled differently!

Last edited:
very difficult one annie and also very sensitive so i would not want to upset your neighbour but it is possible the baby could have been used for medical science without the parents knowing or consenting or if she had a burial she could have been buried with someone else...it all depends on what the parents wishes were if any...if the baby was full term and lived i am sure there must be at least a death record for her and possibly even a birth record but without a surname we cant check the records

lyn

very difficult one annie and also very sensitive so i would not want to upset your neighbour but it is possible the baby could have been used for medical science without the parents knowing or consenting or if she had a burial she could have been buried with someone else...it all depends on what the parents wishes were if any...if the baby was full term and lived i am sure there must be at least a death record for her and possibly even a birth record but without a surname we cant check the records

lyn
Since posting, I have found the correct entry in the burial register (Jane not Jayne) and bought the record. I've just handed it over to my neighbour and she cried - she has been wanting this info since she was 8 years old and she's now 73! My good deed for the day! Thanks for your input : )

Hi everyone. My father in law, now in his mid 70's used to be a hospital engineer at the Duley Road hospital. He has rather quickly developing dimentia now but talks about his time at the hospital a lot, it was clearly very special to him because he lights up every time he speaks about it and it's where he also met my mother in law too as she worked as a ward sister there.
I was wondering if there were any photographic archives I could access to show him at all but I have no idea where to start.

Can anyone help point me in the right direction?

Many thanks.

I've been reading this thread and then reading from workhouses.org.uk/Birmingham thinking just how awful it was then and how lucky we are now. I too, like many people, had ancestors that lived/died in the workhouse. I was interested in the history of the hospital and also interested to see what food they were given. This is an extract from 1797.

1641193324115.png

Tby the Poor Law. A patient who is not an inmate of the older institution (the workhouse) must be seen by the workhouse Doctor and formally relegated by him to the Infirmary. The ambulance is then dispatched along the Infirmary Drive and stops under the archway of the receiving house, which stands on the boundary between the grounds of the two establishments.
"Patients ... after medical examination are allocated according to their ailments to the different wards in the main building. Persons suffering from smallpox, scarlet fever and similar complaints are not allowed to pass the receiving house, but are sent to the City Infections Hospital whilst those afflicted with contagious diseases such as erysipelas, ophthalmia and minor infectious diseases such as measles, are transferred at once to wards in a detached building in the Infirmary grounds"
The first Matron (or Lady Superintendent) at the new Infirmary was Anne Gibson who had trained in the Nightingale School. She was supported in post by a number of Nightingale Nurses and Probationers. Whilst working at the workhouse Infirmary Anne Gibson founded the Nurse Training School. She retired in 1912, and died in 1926.
The Central Poor Law Conference held on 13th February 1895 at Guildhall, London, was addressed by Anne Gibson speaking on the subject of Nursing in Workhouses and Workhouse Infirmaries. This was reported in the British Medical Journal.
The first Medical appointment was that of Visiting Surgeon Charles Jordon Lloyd, in addition to Resident Medical Staff. Unfortunately, he died in April 1913 at The Queen's Hospital in Birmingham, whilst working there. The visiting Physicians appointed were Dr. O. J. Kauffman, Dr. T. S. Short and Dr. C. W. Suckling.
The extension of Birmingham in 1911 led to the amalgamation of Birmingham, Aston and Kings Norton Unions into The Birmingham Union.
Dr. F. W. Ellis was appointed Chief Medical Officer to Dudley Road Infirmary and Western House on the 19th March 1913. The employment of Visiting Surgeons and Physicians was then abolished. The Hospital continued to grow from strength to strength, with a strong reputation. Within his first year of office he had analysed and reported in his 'Classification of the Indoor Poor' whereby the acute cases would be taken to Dudley Road Hospital, and the elderly and long term infirm would be taken to Western House. During the First World War, it was used as a Military Hospital, and then later transferred back to the Board of Guardians following the end of War. Frederick Ellis died in May 1939.
In 1925, Miss Olga Snowden was appointed Matron. She did much to improve the facilities and standards at Dudley Road Infirmary, founding the Olga Snowden School of Nursing, before her retirement in 1947.
The National Health Service Act 1946 was implemented in July 1948 with the formation of the Birmingham Regional Health Board. All the Hospitals and Infirmaries were divided into 27 Hospital groups, each group having its own Management Committee. No. 24 (Dudley Road) Hospital Group Management Committee was formed to administer the following Hospitals:
Dudley Road Hospital
Western Road Infirmary
Birmingham and Midland Eye Hospital
St Chad's Hospital
Birmingham and Midland Ear and Throat Hospital
The Skin Hospital
Marston Green Maternity Hospital
Heathfield Road Maternity Hospital
Burcot Grange, Blackwell
Taylor Memorial Home Romsley Hill Hospital
The Front block and Tower of the Hospital was demolished in 1964, and during this time the original foundation stone was lost. A large new out patient department was erected, with support services.

Sources:
Hutton, William: An History of Birmingham, Pearson and Rollason, 1783, reprinted EP Publishing, 1976
Kelly, Wm & Co: Post Office Directory of Birmingham with Staffordshire and Worcestershire, 1849, copied on CD by Midlands Historical Data, 2003
White, William: White's Directory of Birmingham . . . . the Hardware District, 1873, copied on CD by Midlands Historical Data, 2003
Kelly, Wm & Co: Kelly's Directory of Birmingham with its Suburbs and Smethwick, 1943, copied on CD by Midlands Historical Data, 2003
Dent, Robert K: Old and New Birmingham, Houghton & Hammond, 1878 -1880, reprinted EP Publishing, 1973
Gill, Conrad: History of Birmingham, Volume 1 - Manor and Borough to 1865, Oxford University Press, 1952
Briggs, Asa: History of Birmingham, Volume 2 - Borough and City 1865 - 1938, Oxford University Press, 1952
Upton, Chris: A History of Birmingham, Phillimore, 1993
he Hospital started life as the Birmingham Union Infirmary. It was erected in 1889, as an extension to the Workhouse in Western Road, from designs by W. H. Ward architect, and it had a corridor a quarter of a mile long linking nine pavilions, based on a model recommended by Florence Nightingale. It later became known as Dudley Road Infirmary, and then Dudley Road Hospital. It was recently once again renamed City Hospital, Dudley Road.
Extract from Birmingham Daily Post, 22nd April, 1890:
"There is only one way, officially speaking, into the infirmary, and that way lies through the Workhouse Gate, for it is only as an adjunct to the Workhouse that the infirmary is recognised
Hello, are there any records of who the nurses were in the Dudley Road hospital from approximately 1910 - 1930 please? I am trying to trace my grandmother and her friend who worked there at that time.

Hello. There are some nurses registers on Ancestry, you could sign up for a free trial but don't forget to cancel before charges are due.
rosie.

Hello, are there any records of who the nurses were in the Dudley Road hospital from approximately 1910 - 1930 please? I am trying to trace my grandmother and her friend who worked there at that time.
If you post the names I will look for you on Ancestry.

That is very kind of you, thank you. The names are Eleanor (or Nell or Nellie) Davies later became Thorneycroft and a lady called Dow and I’m sorry but I don’t have any more info than that!

Having a bit of trouble finding them - do you have a rough date to help me narrow things down?

Ignore as have just spotted you put 1910 to 1930

Last edited:
I have had another look but cannot find either of them listed. Not sure why they misght not be on the list. There reseveral types of register and some don't start until after 1930.
1684158264293.png

That is interesting, maybe they worked elsewhere though I have Nellie living in Dudley in 1911 so I assumed that would be where she was nursing! Ah well, further research is obviously required. Thank you for your efforts.

I will have another look but some records don't start until well after that date. Do you know when she married?
As I expect you know Dudley Road hospital isn't in Dudley. It is in Birmingham (near enough to travel) and now called City Hospital.

I have had another look and the main problem, I think, is that early records are not all online.

It also looks as if registration of nurses did not officially start until 1922.Priorto that date the nurse had to pay to be on the list.

Last edited:
does anyone know what number dudley road hospital was in 1932 please

many thanks

lyn

1932 directory does not list it with a number. I thought births there were registered as 1 Western Road
1686149927378.png

thanks jan..my cousin has sent me my aunts birth cert and it says born 77 dudley road i thought that was the no of the hospital

lyn

Will see if 77 is listed.

The list for that side of the road begins as shown with the Hospital.

However: seethis thread

On reflection I think the workhouse used 1 Western Road.

Last edited:
Back