• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Alma Street, Six Ways, Aston

tried a licorice stick a few years back...how on earth i would make one last all day as a kid i will never know lol

lyn

Hi, its amazing how we remember the sweets isnt it, I liked pink Kalai and black jacks 4 for a penny, Dont know if I could bring myself to eat the licorice stick that looked like a twig off a tree now!

It was desperate measures if bought a ha’penny liquorice stick. Not to my taste then and doubt I would like them now. However back in the day it was something to chew on!
I liked Chix bubble gum. They were 4 for a penny too, pink and very sweet!

Linda

Hi, its amazing how we remember the sweets isnt it, I liked pink Kalai and black jacks 4 for a penny, Dont know if I could bring myself to eat the licorice stick that looked like a twig off a tree now!
For some reason I knew those as spanish sticks.

Thats was interesting . I remember the woody stuff, and also liked the jet black strips wound into wheel shapes. And can I say Pontefract Licorice cakes on the Brum page!

Hi Linda,
Thank you for the information. I wondered if I could ask you a couple of questions? What year are you talking about here and do you know the name of the French person you mentioned?
Many thanks,
Susan

Hi Linda,
Thank you for the information. I wondered if I could ask you a couple of questions? What year are you talking about here and do you know the name of the French person you mentioned?
Many thanks,
Susan

Hi Susan
My family and I lived at 125 Alma Street from late 1956- November 1967.
I was friendly with Georgina Glenn after starting school from 1959. The era I’m talking about is between 1960 to 1965.
I don’t know the surname of the French neighbour. I believe her husband was British. I think they had 2 or 3 daughters who, were older than us.

I hope this is helpful to you.

Best wishes
Linda

Hi Susan
I was friendly with Georgina Glenn after starting school from 1959. The era I’m talking about is between 1960 to 1965.
I don’t know the surname of the French neighbour. I believe her husband was British. I think they had 2 or 3 daughters who, were older than us.

Best wishes
Linda
Hi Linda,

Thank you very much for your reply. I am trying to trace the family who lived at 117 Alma Street, the Williams family. This was in 1917 and I believe it was a shop, but I think they were there for many years, maybe until the early 60's. I also heard that there was someone who was French in the family, which was why I asked you about that. This is all rather vague, I know. I have scraps of information and I am trying to piece them together. I never lived there, so I don't know any other names of people who lived there.
Thank you again.
Best wishes,
Jill

Hi Linda,

Thank you very much for your reply. I am trying to trace the family who lived at 117 Alma Street, the Williams family. This was in 1917 and I believe it was a shop, but I think they were there for many years, maybe until the early 60's. I also heard that there was someone who was French in the family, which was why I asked you about that. This is all rather vague, I know. I have scraps of information and I am trying to piece them together. I never lived there, so I don't know any other names of people who lived there.
Thank you again.
Best wishes,
Jill
Entry on 1955 Kelly's directory

Attachments

• 117almast.jpg
    117almast.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 24
Here are those listed at 117 on the online electoral rolls (which only cover some years):

1920​
AstonLozells
James William​
1920​
AstonLozells
Alice​
1922​
AstonLozells
James William​
1925​
AstonLozells
James William​
1930​
AstonLozells
Kathleen​
1930​
AstonLozells
James William (th younger)e​
1930​
AstonLozells
Thomas Walter​
1935​
AstonLozells
Kathleen​
1935​
AstonLozells
James William (th younger)​
1935​
AstonLozells
Thomas Walter​
1939​
AstonLozells
James William​
1939​
AstonLozells
Kathleen​
1939​
AstonLozells
Alice Maud​
1945​
AstonLozells
Kathleen A​
1945​
AstonLozells
James W​
1947​
AstonLozells
James W​
1947​
AstonLozells
Kathleen A​
1950​
AstonLozells
James W​
1950​
AstonLozells
Kathleen A​
1952​
DistrictLozells
James W​
1952​
DistrictLozells
Kathleen A​
1955​
HandsworthLozells
James​
1955​
HandsworthLozells
Kathleen​
1957​
HandsworthLozells
Kathleen A​
1960​
HandsworthLozells
James W​
1960​
HandsworthLozells
Kathleen A​
1952​
DistrictLozells
Kathleen A​
1955​
HandsworthLozells
James​
1955​
HandsworthLozells
Kathleen​
1957​
HandsworthLozells
Kathleen A​
1960​
HandsworthLozells
James W​
1960​
HandsworthLozells
Kathleen A​
1962​
HandsworthNewtown
James W​
1962​
HandsworthNewtown
Kathleen.A​
1965​
HandsworthNewtown
Paul R​
1965​
HandsworthNewtown
Anona B​
T​

Hi Linda,
Many thanks,
Susan

Hello again Susan
I have copied the following for you from the forum. It was put on by Colinwilliams Guest 1
Hi Susan

Best wishes
Linda
Hi Linda,

Thank you again.
Best wishes,
Jill

Hi
I remember Mr and Mrs Williams and their shop. They were very nice people.
To me as a child they seemed old. However, anyone over 21 was old to me!
My mom and dad used the shop often. I recall OXO tins on the shelves. There was also a penny bubble gum machine outside.

I recall Mrs Williams passing away. My family were saddened by her death. I’m not sure how long after her death but Mr Williams wasn’t well. He was outside the shop in his pyjamas. He must have needed help. I can remember an ambulance being called and he was taken away. I don’t recall seeing him again after that. This could have been around 1961/62.

A man called Pete took the shop over. He had short black hair. He wasn’t there that long.

It then became a ladies hairdressers. This was around 1964/65. I can’t remember the name of it though.

I hope my recollection has been somewhat helpful.
Best wishes
Linda

• Appreciate
Reactions: Suy
Here are those listed at 117 on the online electoral rolls (which only cover some years):

1920​
AstonLozells
James William​
1920​
AstonLozells
Alice​
1922​
AstonLozells
James William​
1925​
AstonLozells
James William​
1930​
AstonLozells
Kathleen​
1930​
AstonLozells
James William (th younger)e​
1930​
AstonLozells
Thomas Walter​
1935​
AstonLozells
Kathleen​
1935​
AstonLozells
James William (th younger)​
1935​
AstonLozells
Thomas Walter​
1939​
AstonLozells
James William​
1939​
AstonLozells
Kathleen​
1939​
AstonLozells
Alice Maud​
1945​
AstonLozells
Kathleen A​
1945​
AstonLozells
James W​
1947​
AstonLozells
James W​
1947​
AstonLozells
Kathleen A​
1950​
AstonLozells
James W​
1950​
AstonLozells
Kathleen A​
1952​
DistrictLozells
James W​
1952​
DistrictLozells
Kathleen A​
1955​
HandsworthLozells
James​
1955​
HandsworthLozells
Kathleen​
1957​
HandsworthLozells
Kathleen A​
1960​
HandsworthLozells
James W​
1960​
HandsworthLozells
Kathleen A​
1952​
DistrictLozells
Kathleen A​
1955​
HandsworthLozells
James​
1955​
HandsworthLozells
Kathleen​
1957​
HandsworthLozells
Kathleen A​
1960​
HandsworthLozells
James W​
1960​
HandsworthLozells
Kathleen A​
1962​
HandsworthNewtown
James W​
1962​
HandsworthNewtown
Kathleen.A​
1965​
HandsworthNewtown
Paul R​
1965​
HandsworthNewtown
Anona B​
T​
Hi Mike,

You are indeed a super moderator! Thank you so much for this information. Can you tell me where you found this? I have not been able to find the electoral roll for those years.

Kind regards,
Susan

Hello again Susan
I have copied the following for you from the forum. It was put on by Colinwilliams Guest 1

Hi
I remember Mr and Mrs Williams and their shop. They were very nice people.
To me as a child they seemed old. However, anyone over 21 was old to me!
My mom and dad used the shop often. I recall OXO tins on the shelves. There was also a penny bubble gum machine outside.

I recall Mrs Williams passing away. My family were saddened by her death. I’m not sure how long after her death but Mr Williams wasn’t well. He was outside the shop in his pyjamas. He must have needed help. I can remember an ambulance being called and he was taken away. I don’t recall seeing him again after that. This could have been around 1961/62.

A man called Pete took the shop over. He had short black hair. He wasn’t there that long.

It then became a ladies hairdressers. This was around 1964/65. I can’t remember the name of it though.

I hope my recollection has been somewhat helpful.
Best wishes
Linda
Hi Linda,

Thank you so much for this, it is very helpful. I have a lot of searching to do so I may post some more questions. I appreciate your and everyone's responses.

Best wishes,
Susan

This is a picture of my Nan inside the shop, hope you don't mind, nice to have her back with the shop
Although this post is 4 years old, I've only just seen it and showed the photo to my wife. She recognised Mrs Herbert. My wife's Family used to live 5 doors away in Whitehead St.

Hi Linda,

Thank you so much for this, it is very helpful. I have a lot of searching to do so I may post some more questions. I appreciate your and everyone's responses.

Best wishes,
Susan
I still have one of those old oxo tins.

Re Alma St

Hi Colin, Sorry, but I've no memory of a shop run by Williams. We used the shop run by Mr/Mrs Burbeck. They were at 39 I think. Mom used to run a 'tab' there and pay up every Friday. They were always most kind to us kids when we went there on an errand.
Mom used to say"Ask him for half a loaf and ask him to cut it with a jammy knife!".
I have a few photos of the demolition of the street and the construction of the new roads circa 1960. I'll see if I can upload them. :wink:
Hi, the couple at the shop 39 were Les and Ivy Bradbury. Nice people.

Back