• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

sayings

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife calls me honeybun ocasionally but I believe that is more to do with the mad rabbit of Westward TV fame than anything to to with Brummie sayings. She is a Maid of Kent so Brum speak is a mystery to her! ;) ;)
One of my step daughter's boyfriends was Hunnybun. Honeybunch was around in the 50s from America I believe. My dad used to say it to my mum, in a deeyp saaaarthth, American draaaawl, "Honey Bunch Honey Lamb Honey Sugar Honey Chaaaaild." Whether it was on the radio or TV I don't know, but it didn't get him anywhere, just funny looks.

My friends grandkids 4 and 8 are fascinated by the word poo it is used alot with young infants .They even have games and toys with it.So this in mind we asked ourselves what did we call it when we were young and we both remember using the word kaki so then I googled the word to see if it was a real word and by surprise it was it is a Hebrew word meaning crap.How funny is that!

Maurice i think this subject stinks:grinning:
Cack was a bad word. I said a bigone. I never related it to a big one. Nan said numbers when it was the dog. My Irish friend said dobbies. Or it might have been her husband who came from London. Gran said the S word. Mate's Irish gran added an E to that. Grandad said you've mucked yer ticket wen I had an accident. Or a tom tit. I was offended when several medics said poo to me now. My doctors as a child said motion and stools.What a subject.

I can't remember all of Nan's sayings, a good job maybe, but she had one something about the Klondyke. Any ideas?
One I do remember, "'Ee's bost 'iz vinegar string," but I can't remember in what context but it was an insult to a man.
And You great lummox!
Mum would say if I had made the place untidy "it's like Casey Court in here. "
And "you crate egg!" for a twit.
And if she was getting me to move, (or the dog) "come on buggylugs!" I have also heard it as buggerlugs.
Nan again, "shift yer carcass!"
Nan would say, I daresn't, (and there are many of hers I daresn't put on here.)

I can't remember all of Nan's sayings, a good job maybe, but she had one something about the Klondyke. Any ideas?
One I do remember, "'Ee's bost 'iz vinegar string," but I can't remember in what context but it was an insult to a man.
And You great lummox!
Mum would say if I had made the place untidy "it's like Casey Court in here. "
And "you crate egg!" for a twit.
And if she was getting me to move, (or the dog) "come on buggylugs!" I have also heard it as buggerlugs.
Nan again, "shift yer carcass!"
Nan would say, I daresn't, (and there are many of hers I daresn't put on here.)
yer. shift yer a:grinning:

Harry Tate is of course Cockney Slang for “state.”

Anybody heard how “Our Alan” is doing ?
I used to get off dad you got more to to say than you go t'ate.
Or when Nan was getting at him he would say oh taters to 'er!
Taters was also an appendage, well two.

Does anyone recall the mispronunciations that were often used, as kids growing up in Weoley castle they used to say a packet of cripps (crisps) another one was have you fount it? (found) a bottle of mewk (milk)
very common was skelington which was used by adults as well.

Does anyone recall the mispronunciations that were often used, as kids growing up in Weoley castle they used to say a packet of cripps (crisps) another one was have you fount it? (found) a bottle of mewk (milk)
very common was skelington which was used by adults as well.
Dad had a few of these which always brought a smile to our faces. He used to say "crayon" for crane, a tarpaulin was always a "Tarpoleon" and a certificate was called a "Susstificate":)

I remember being intrigued by the word 'axe' in place of ask. I have looked into this usage and apparently it is the original word.
Also the word 'rocks' for sweets is something I only ever heard in the Hockley area. When I used it in Acocks Green no-one had any idea what it meant.

NoddKD

Why,is it offensive?

NoddKD. Curious.
The Crips and the Bloods are two of the biggest gangs in South Los Angeles, travel on the tram from downtown LA to Long Beach and as you travel thro Watts, you will see both, look at the neck tattoos? They are the Peaky Blinders of LA

Bob

The Crips and the Bloods are two of the biggest gangs in South Los Angeles, travel on the tram from downtown LA to Long Beach and as you travel thro Watts, you will see both, look at the neck tattoos? They are the Peaky Blinders of LA

Bob
Thanks for that. I'll stick to crisps from here on in.o_O:worried:

NoddKD. Big scardy cat.

I have just read a post by nico today where he said his mate had a rigmoral I have not heard that word for years even though I always use it dus anyone know where it originated from as when you see it writ down it looks and sounds weird.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back