• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

CHRISTMAS 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
It`s snowing quite heavy here in Co. Durham & my little Westie brought me an early Christmas present, a rather large rat that i think he`s just killed. We do see the occasional rat probably because the geezer next door keeps exotic birds. Horrible things !!

Hi everyone, just logged in to say Happy Christmas. I haven't been on the forum as I have been busy on other areas. Talking of which, I know the Black Country Museum is popular with many so if you fancy sight-seeing what's left of the region on the ground I have been doing discovery trails - for example at Amblecote https://www.midlandspubs.co.uk/staffordshire/amblecote/ and I am currently working on Cradley https://www.midlandspubs.co.uk/worcestershire/cradley/ both with nice photographs. My mate John has gone viral as he is a star of the Black Country Museum videos. Funny old world. Anyway, be safe and enjoy what will be a singular Christmas season. Ho Ho Ho Kieron

and a happy christmas from me to everyone one bhf also wishing us all a safer 2021 i am also hoping that we shall at some point next year be able to hold another of our forum meet ups :)

lyn x

wishing-you-a-very-merry-christmas-and-happy-new-year-animated-gif-image.gif

Last edited:
Christmas the time for giving and remembrance, As a nipper growing up in Brum like many others, every Christmas I would place on Christmas eve my pillowcase, at the foot of the bed. Christmas day I would wakeup look to see what Father Christmas has got for me. One year during the war, this was in my pillowcase. My Dad "God Bless Him" Had made this wooden WW2 jeep painted WW2 green colour, on his fretwork machine!!! I pulled this around the house for ages with the string that is still on it ONE GIFT I WILL NEVER FORGET Try get one like this from Tesco!!! 10408661_1177179872309865_1071056459279964850_n.jpg

Hi everyone, just logged in to say Happy Christmas. I haven't been on the forum as I have been busy on other areas. Talking of which, I know the Black Country Museum is popular with many so if you fancy sight-seeing what's left of the region on the ground I have been doing discovery trails - for example at Amblecote https://www.midlandspubs.co.uk/staffordshire/amblecote/ and I am currently working on Cradley https://www.midlandspubs.co.uk/worcestershire/cradley/ both with nice photographs. My mate John has gone viral as he is a star of the Black Country Museum videos. Funny old world. Anyway, be safe and enjoy what will be a singular Christmas season. Ho Ho Ho Kieron
Thankyou where my family come from. All the streets nan used to name and all the pubs, she also named all the locks down from Bridgnorth

A friend in Las Vegas from a keyboard forum I use produced this and here is what he wrote:-

"This was done a few years ago...my grand daughter singing, grandson on glockenspiel, son on guitar, and yours truly. This year I add the newest grandchild (3yrs) on the tag...just wanted him included in this. Merry Christmas to all of you and your Families! "

He does some lovely stuff. Enjoy.

Maurice :cool:

Is that Cradley, Black Country, or Cradley Herefordshire, gets confusing when you live in Herefordshire ?

Dad pencilled on this reel of film, 'Mom's Xmas'. I'm almost certain it was actually Boxing day but either way it was definitely 1964 - but I could be wrong. I've brought my eldest cousin back to the party 56 years later from a WhatsApp clip his wife sent me sent last week.! A bit of time lapsing and he looks look like he's in keeping with the new sound track, though any musicians out there will have noticed he's playing different chords.

So welcome to my Grandparents' house, Gospel Lane, Acocks Green. There's only one reception room, a tiny kitchen and a downstairs toilet. Its where my Dad and his brothers and one sister were brought up. The room hasn't changed much since 1930, when they first moved in. (i still have a red jumper from the previous Xmas, my eldest cousin in the intro has the black jumper with the V stripe)

On this occasion there are fourteen of us, our dog and Grandad's budgie. Only Dad is missing - he's filming. This year one of his brothers and his family haven't arrived, else there would have been eighteen of us in that tiny room!

The large oak dining table has been pushed to the back of the room against the settee which in turn is pinned against the back wall and piled high with our coats - there's isn't anywhere to hang them! That leaves two armchairs, a pouffe and four ladderback chairs for seating - adults only! I think we, as kids, were too exited to think of sitting down. It's very warm, the coal fire is blazing and Nan has left the gas oven on in the kitchen to provide extra heating. Cigarette smoke' hangs in the air (something I hated even then) and is masked by a vaguely better smell when Uncle 'Moss', Dads eldest brother, lights up one of his cigars lol.

Most of the food has gone, apart from a couple of curly sandwiches, some pickled onions and a bit of trifle. Nan is obsessed that we don't over eat and continuously warns us that if we do we'll be sick. She does, however, let us take something from the fruit bowl but no nuts or we'll be sick!!!

Just before 7pm, as the clock on top of the piano confirms, we are dancing to 'Lets Twist Again'. I can't remember how this was being played as my Grandparent's only source of entertainment was a wind-up gramophone, a 12" TV and an old valve style radio. There would have been no music on demand so its possible my Dad had brought his reel to reel tape machine. Nan encourages cousin Shane to 'act' for the camera, pretending to pull a cracker and then take a 'pick' from the Christmas tree - "Only pretend mind, or you'll be sick!"

Nan wheels out the drinks trolley. None of the family are big drinkers and this is the only time it's ever used. Theres Johny Walker Whisky, Booths Gin, port and Babycham and a little porcelain barrel with Bulls Blood printed on it. This had been on the trolley for several years and everyone that poured a drink from it grimaced. I now know this must have been wine that had obviously gone off!

Around 10pm Uncle Moss and Aunty June leave for home. My five cousins are staying the night and are sent off to bed. Now I'm up with the adults as we aren't leaving until midnight. That leaves seven of us. The light is turned off and the TV is turned on. I squeeze up next to Mom on one of the armchairs and my Aunt, Maureen, sits in the other. The remaining four people take whatever seating is left, two choose the arms of the chairs. My Aunt is in wind down mode and is selfishly eating one chocolate after another from a box of Black Magic resting on her lap. She realsises everyone has been watching her and offers them around. She offers me one and I can tell it hurts, lol (my cousins would never be allowed one and she knows I know). The box comes my way. I feel obliged to decline but graciously accept. Although it's dark I can still see that she's eaten all the good ones! I don't have the courage to delve into the second layer so I close my eyes and take pot luck. Just knowing that it was a forbidden chocolate made it taste that much better - no matter the flavour!

Although the hit, Merry Christmas Everyone, didn't come along until 1973 it sums up the atmosphere and excitement we felt at that time. "Here's to the future now. Its only just begun"

The future was and still is uncertain but at that time all I knew was that I would soon be taking the 11 Plus. What I didn t know was that I would get German measles and have to take it twice!

Where's time gone? My my youngest cousin is now 56 and I'm older than my Grandad!

Merry Xmas 2020

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back