• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Ward End Park

Does anyone remember the pond in St Margarets church yard across from Ward End Park.We used to catch newts in the pond.We had a small pond at home and used to put them in with the goldfish from the rag & bone man.

Does anyone remember the pond in St Margarets church yard across from Ward End Park.We used to catch newts in the pond.We had a small pond at home and used to put them in with the goldfish from the rag & bone man.

My mom remembered that pond too and would catch newts in it. She lived in the double fronted house that used to stand where the church hall is now, name was Pardoe

When the site was developed for housing, the road is called Overpool Road

loverly pics VIV. The times i had to fish overturned boats and people out of there.when i worked for the parks dept.
and was a stand in keeper....like that one in the pic standing up in boat.
Does anyone remember a police station inside Ward End Park in about the 1960s.?

"No Mum, I won't go near the railway!" ............but the press let the cat out of the bag...myself and my 3yo sister (in the white hooded coat) with me to her right, in Ward End Park 1959. Published by the Evening Mail and reprinted by Metro News in 1999. The loco is still extant in the NRM in York.ulsterexpress1a.jpg

"No Mum, I won't go near the railway!" ............but the press let the cat out of the bag...myself and my 3yo sister (in the white hooded coat) with me to her right, in Ward End Park 1959. Published by the Evening Mail and reprinted by Metro News in 1999. The loco is still extant in the NRM in York.View attachment 151142
we would sit by the bridge listening for traffic,some time feeling the rail for the vibrations along the line. we could be in that pic too

Back