• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Upper Thomas Street School Aston

I remember Mr Parker he signed my leaving certificate , my brothers and i were in some of the operas we played ,Iolanth , Pirates of penzance , and Trial by jury , we had to play the female roles , lol,
I remember Mr Parker very well, though did not like his discipline methods. He threatened to give me the cane for telling him of the bullying I had received from some of the older boys.

Hi Allan
Always nice to connect with a former Upper Thomas Street lad....The woodwork shop was located in the main school below the science class, it was the metal class based at Aston Hall Road annex, the photo's I would say are later than 1965, my guess either 1969 or 1970 when it closed and transferred to Aston Manor in Philips Street. I was in the year above you 1964-1968, but my best mate was in your year Steven Pinkerton, there are a couple of lads in the photo's who lived in my part of Aston, Ronnie Whitehouse, Rod Birch, another lad from the era is on this forum Donald Wood....
My Brother Paul was in class above me , One of the teachers used to slap you on back and this happened to paul who suffered from Asthma ,needless to say he had an attack . My dad went to the school to confront him ,not sure what happened , I remember the science teacher took a few of us to his mothers guest house in Southend for a weekend , it was so posh to us ,having to use cups and saucers ,

Hi Michael. I would have been at UTS at the same time as you. I was born in March 55 so I was there from Sept 59/60 until July66 when I left to go to Grammar School. My name is Michael Carney and we lived at 1/161 Clifton Road until we moved to Kingstanding in 69.
i was born 1954 so was there same time as you pair ,

My Brother Paul was in class above me , One of the teachers used to slap you on back and this happened to paul who suffered from Asthma ,needless to say he had an attack . My dad went to the school to confront him ,not sure what happened , I remember the science teacher took a few of us to his mothers guest house in Southend for a weekend , it was so posh to us ,having to use cups and saucers ,
Hi Allan There was a Paul Jones in my class, he appeared in the school musicals which they put on....wonder if he the same lad ....

Allan....he sounds like the same lad I was at school with, if you see him ask if can remember some of the lads in our class, Alan Whelan, Raymond Glazzard, Anthony Stevens, Steven Smith 1 and 2, Mick Cassidy, Jimmy O'Neil, Roger Jones, Robert Stokes, Terry Cotter , Alfred Glazbrook, Graham Cornbill...and many more ....

I never spent much time at UTS due to the bullying (head put down the toilets & tied to the long poles in the playground & having medicine balls thrown at me. Mr (nobby) Parker threatened to give me the cane because I mentioned it to him. It was my worst school experience.
I never spent much time at UTS due to the bullying (head put down the toilets & tied to the long poles in the playground & having medicine balls thrown at me. Mr (nobby) Parker threatened to give me the cane because I mentioned it to him. It was my worst school experience.
Its like now in life they never want to sort out the bullies they just say you need councilling , you get bullies now that send poisonous emails about people they are just cowards and HR Depts will not do anything about them because they are mates with them HR always back the managers . Raz x

Its like now in life they never want to sort out the bullies they just say you need councilling , you get bullies now that send poisonous emails about people they are just cowards and HR Depts will not do anything about them because they are mates with them HR always back the managers . Raz x
Totally agree Raz. Hopefully, one day, this will all be stopped, once & for all. x

Does anyone remember a PT teacher named Mr Clarke , really fit chap , it was about 1964 and he took on the best swimmer in the school Stephen Newton well he had no chance Stephen beat him , he wasn't so cocky after that. Every time the sun came out Mr Clarke would be out there on a chair at UTS annexe Aston Hall Road topping up his tan , nice bloke . Raz x
When i was in the infants there was a nice teacher Miss Hewitt and headmistress was Miss Craig who ended up marrying Mr Jones from the seniors , it was nice going into school through the hall, which was warm and smelt of polish , the school had them nice big cast iron radiators no central heating or double glazing at home in them days it was good to go to school to get warmed up . Whats the saying they don't know they are born nowadays Raz X

Last edited:
When i was in the infants there was a nice teacher Miss Hewitt and headmistress was Miss Craig who ended up marrying Mr Jones from the seniors , it was nice going into school through the hall, which was warm and smelt of polish , the school had them nice big cast iron radiators no central heating or double glazing at home in them days it was good to go to school to get warmed up . Raz X
I vaguely remember Mr Clarke. Maybe my 2 youngest brothers at the time would remember more as they both went to Aston Hall Road School when we lived in Waterworks Street.

When I attend the school 1964 to 1968, (the senior boys) the annex was part of the Aston Hall Road School, which was a mile or two away, not sure about the junior and infants cannot remember an annex or a school in Tower Road ....not in my time .....
Hi Aston lad i was there at same time i remember some of the teachers at the annex they were Mr Davis , J F Jones , John Whitwell [nice bloke] , Mr Clarke, Mr Hall and the art teacher Mr Evans + a Mr Tewana who hit me across my face and perforated my eardrum he would sacked or promoted if it were nowadays i remember queuing up outside the school office to have injections. I think the art room was in a separate building . Do you remember the little bottles of milk that we drank . Good Days Raz X

Last edited:
When i was in the infants there was a nice teacher Miss Hewitt and headmistress was Miss Craig who ended up marrying Mr Jones from the seniors , it was nice going into school through the hall, which was warm and smelt of polish , the school had them nice big cast iron radiators no central heating or double glazing at home in them days it was good to go to school to get warmed up . Raz X ps i think there was a Miss Stallard ?
In the Juniors i think the headmaster was Mr Spinks ,and there was Mr Gill , Miss Foulkes she was lovely and a nice young teacher Miss Sales , Raz X

Last edited:
My brothers went to Upper Thomas Street School, Michael & Terry Cotter, we lived in Upper Sutton Street.
Hi my name is Ron hurst i lived in upper webster street and I went to Burlington street school we left birmingham when they started to build the aston express way we moved to litchfield when I left school I got a job at rugelley power stations where I met terry cotter we became very good friends I left power stations in 1994 I think terry moved to stafford the next I herd he had passed away I miss terry I often think about the crack we used to have at the station miss him loads .

Last edited:
Hi..
Just read through the UTS threads very interesting.. so I have to add my story.. Back in 1979 I was appointed Caretaker at Aston Tower School in Upper Thomas Street , this was a relatively new built school replacing the old UTS school. The Head teacher was a Mr Edmunds who originated from Malta , me being a summer laner and remembering the old school got into a conservation about the building.
He told me the story of when the old school was to be demolished they had a idea to save the Bell from the Tower and put it in a display cabinet in the new school. The scaffolding was erected up the Tower for the workmen to get the Bell down and as it was getting late in the afternoon they decided to remove the Bell in the morning.
Yes , you know what is coming !
Next day workmen climbed the scaffold to remove the bell with local dignitaries eagerly watching for this historical event to occur. ..
Then a workman shouted down from the Tower " it's been bleedin' nicked ! "...
Upper Thomas Street school was eventful right up to the end....
Tony..

Hi..
Just read through the UTS threads very interesting.. so I have to add my story.. Back in 1979 I was appointed Caretaker at Aston Tower School in Upper Thomas Street , this was a relatively new built school replacing the old UTS school. The Head teacher was a Mr Edmunds who originated from Malta , me being a summer laner and remembering the old school got into a conservation about the building.
He told me the story of when the old school was to be demolished they had a idea to save the Bell from the Tower and put it in a display cabinet in the new school. The scaffolding was erected up the Tower for the workmen to get the Bell down and as it was getting late in the afternoon they decided to remove the Bell in the morning.
Yes , you know what is coming !
Next day workmen climbed the scaffold to remove the bell with local dignitaries eagerly watching for this historical event to occur. ..
Then a workman shouted down from the Tower " it's been bleedin' nicked ! "...
Upper Thomas Street school was eventful right up to the end....
Tony..
did they ever find the bell .

Hi..
I asked the Headteacher the same question...
But he said no.. although the police made enquiries to no avail...
When you think about it and how heavy the Bell must have been it must of took skill and brawn to get it down and move it.....
But with tat yards all around Aston they would not have to shift it far !

Hi Raz
Mr Evans was the art teacher, Mr Tremaine was the Technical Drawing teacher (nasty man), I cannot recall who took us for metal work....I left in 1968, if you left the same time as myself then we were in the same year, your name does ring a bell but I cannot remember the face, I was in the A tier most of my time there. I remember the bottles of milk we had and I can remember Terry Whitehouse throwing a crate of them at one of the teachers ...

Hi aston lad...
The Headteacher was called Mr Edmunds he was a small Dark haired chap who was from Malta. I also remember when i had to look after william cowper school for a couple of weeks and funny enough they had their Tower bell from their old school (i also was a pupil 63/66 ) on display in the foyer..
Small world with big memories....

Hi my name is Ron hurst i lived in upper webster street and I went to Burlington street school we left birmingham when they started to build the aston express way we moved to litchfield when I left school I got a job at rugelley power stations where I met terry cotter we became very good friends I left power stations in 1994 I think terry moved to stafford the next I herd he had passed away I miss terry I often think about the crack we used to have at the station miss him loads .
Hi Ron......I was born and bred in Clarendon Street, top end of Upper Webster Street, we also moved around that time to Kingstanding, Terry was in my year at school, good cricketer and better swimmer, I spoke to him a few years back on friends reunited, he told me that he broke his back in a fall, he was living in Stafford at that time, he told me that he had just brought a campervan and was going to tour here or aboard cannot remember where...Where about on Upper Webster Street did you live Ron, I had a couple of mates who lived at the bottom Ronnie and David Whitehouse, David Jenkins further up , Alan Price facing Parliament Street , another lad named / Weston..., I also attended Burlington Street school, ( some nice photo's of it on here and on the facebook site "astonbrook-through-astonmanor"..

Hi Ron......I was born and bred in Clarendon Street, top end of Upper Webster Street, we also moved around that time to Kingstanding, Terry was in my year at school, good cricketer and better swimmer, I spoke to him a few years back on friends reunited, he told me that he broke his back in a fall, he was living in Stafford at that time, he told me that he had just brought a campervan and was going to tour here or aboard cannot remember where...Where about on Upper Webster Street did you live Ron, I had a couple of mates who lived at the bottom Ronnie and David Whitehouse, David Jenkins further up , Alan Price facing Parliament Street , another lad named / Weston..., I also attended Burlington Street school, ( some nice photo's of it on here and on the facebook site "astonbrook-through-astonmanor"..
Hi aston lad it's a small world when I met terry at the power station we got to talking he lived around the corner in upper thomas street you are right terry did have a fall i was with him that day we were walking over some scaffold tubes next thing he was down on the floor they finished him on ill health we used to go down in the engein room the acustica in there was great he used to sing just like Demi's rusos he was great I miss him after the accident he moved to stafford but yes we had some great times good lad he would do anything for anybody great lad.

Aston lad we lived at number 13 upper webster street accouple of doors down from the wood yard my dad new and mr stokes he lived at the top of the street .do you remember a lad at the top of upper webster street he had a penny farthing bike I think he got burnt standing in front of the fire I can't remember his name. but mr stokes usde to drive a morris open top up and down the street.

Hi Ron....I remember the young lad who go burnt, he lived in the cul-de-sac end of Clarendon Street , his brother was Michael Hill, just a year or two older than myself, I am sure the lad who got burnt was David, younger than me, nice lad, I used to talk to him when I was delivering my papers, I remember Mr Stokes son Kevin, sorry to say at that time no one liked him, we used to do horrible things to him, I hope he has had a happy life... ( ps I don't live to far from you Hednesford )

aston lad did you know a mr collins that lived in upper webster street he used to have a moterbike van it was green it was a van with a moterbike wheel sticking out the front of it .

I cannot say that I do remember, but I can remember the type of vehicle, I last saw one on the Bristol Road at the top end of Selly Oak a few years back...

Hi Ron....I remember the young lad who go burnt, he lived in the cul-de-sac end of Clarendon Street , his brother was Michael Hill, just a year or two older than myself, I am sure the lad who got burnt was David, younger than me, nice lad, I used to talk to him when I was delivering my papers, I remember Mr Stokes son Kevin, sorry to say at that time no one liked him, we used to do horrible things to him, I hope he has had a happy life... ( ps I don't live to far from you Hednesford )
Hi Aston lad, i remember when i was in the juniors at UTS a lad lost his life in a fire it was at Christmas time that was so shocking at the time i can't think of his name at the moment PS It might have been Brian , i think he had ginger hair Raz X

Last edited:
Back