• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Queen street,Theatre Stores

Bingo. I've found a copy in a book of an 1839 map. (Will post when I get a chance to scan it). Queen Street is marked.
It runs from back (? assuming Theatre Royal frontage was on New Street) of the theatre across Lower Temple Street. Looks as if it might have become Stephenson Street.
It is almost parallel to Pinfold Street.
By 1851 only the bit behind the theatre seems to remain. Swallowed up by New Street Station.

Last edited:
great jan and to add ive just searched my files and found this one no 51No 51 Back of Old Theatre Royal Stephenson Street Birmingham 1901 Demolished 1902.jpg dated 1901 of the back of old theatre royal stephenson st...demolished 1902

Had this map saved so no idea where it came from. Dated 1839. Queen Street in red. By 1851 only the blue bit remained.

Attachments

• 1839.jpg
    1839.jpg
    171.5 KB · Views: 19
thanks jan....just looking at the blue line they must have been pretty well crammed in because on the 71 census there are 10 pages of households

lyn

I thought that - but by 1851 New Street Station seems to have taken over the rest of Queen Street. Unless they had included the properties in Great Queens Street?
I hadn't realised it was licensed premises but I can't find it listed as such in Kelly's - at the moment.

CORRECTION: Nowhere near Queens Drive and it was, as Janice says, Stephenson Street. Had to look at my Godfrey map to confirm it though!

Well done, sleuths! :)

Maurice :cool:

Last edited:
I thought that - but by 1851 New Street Station seems to have taken over the rest of Queen Street. Unless they had included the properties in Great Queens Street?
I hadn't realised it was licensed premises but I can't find it listed as such in Kelly's - at the moment.

just looking again at the 71 jan and there were courts there so that could explain so many households

lyn

Is the building to the right the Theatre Stores ? This was taken from a post made by Stitcher on the Theatre Royal thread. Even the lamp is the same as in the painting. Viv.

View attachment 150422

Link to the Theatre Royal thread here. https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/index.php?threads/birmingham-theatre-royal.34680/
I agree that that looks like the Theatre stores. The c 1889 map below shows it in red

map c1889 showing theatre royal.jpg

Janice
The 1839 map was published by the society for the Diffusion of Useful Knowledge and is the only map between the Piggott Smith map c1824 (below) and the much better OS maps of the late 1880s to show any significant detail
Pigott smith map c1824 showing Queen St.jpg

Back