• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Queen street,Theatre Stores

Dennis Williams

Gone but not forgotten
Just found this nice painting by Warren Blackham.....any ideas about where and when? It's listed as New Street, but nowt else.....? Doesn't sit right with me....

126549252_3636488529747299_8584602871507980159_o.jpg

it could be new st dennis...think there was a theatre nearby but of course it may not be new st :rolleyes:

lyn

it could be new st dennis...think there was a theatre nearby but of course it may not be new st :rolleyes:

lyn
If it is Lyn, and I probably agree, I am just a little surprised that we have never heard of it before? At least I haven't, and there's nowt on the net or on here? Keep safe...xx

On the census entry it says “Back entrance to theatre” in the line above “Theatre Stores”. So maybe the front of the Theatre Stores was on another Street. Viv.

where exactly was queen st...i cant seem to find it on the map but go back a few pages on the 71 census and it mentions pinfold st and lower temple st bit confused at the min

lyn

That is today's task. :D I was just pleased last night to find the building existed.

morning jan i have to say i dont think i have heard of queens street just going to have a cuppa and get back to it:rolleyes: i wonder if it was one of those streets that changed its name also on the 71 does it say in the ward of market hall?

also reading pedros link it says a rare view of gt queens st as it was called at the time so most likely a name change happened looking at the old painting in the link gt queen st ran alongside new st station

For info, Great Queen Street became Queens Drive. Queens Drive was a carriageway through the centre of the Station. It disappeared when the old New Street Station was replaced in the 1960s. Viv.

Last edited:
Back