• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

CHRISTMAS 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
well folks its just over 5 weeks to christmas :rolleyes: ..we are all living in trying times and do not know what restrictions will be put in place due to covid but i think whatever they are we must try and make the most of it....for myself i usually have my brother and sister (both live alone) my youngest son and his partner over on christmas day..also my eldest son who lives here with me...even if we are allowed to all get together i think we have pretty much decided that for safety reasons we will all stay in our own homes this year...i will however be able to see my grandson james who lives next door as he is in my childcare bubble:) so we are starting this thread which i hope can be light hearted and be a way of for our members especially those who live alone to keep in touch over the festive season..let us know what plans you have or hope to have...post your favourite christmas songs for us all to enjoy....reminisce about how your christmases were as a child but above all please stay safe everyone we need you all back for 2021 :) :) ...i will kick start this off by playing one of my favourites and one that most of us will remember...the times i have rolled out of a pub to it...:):):)

lyn and the team xxx

Last edited:
Lovely idea Lyn. Like you, this year, we as a family will not be meeting up in person but we will face time each other. We do miss our grandkids but best safe than sorry. I don’t know how to post music but if I did it would be Frank Sidebottom “Christmas is really fantastic”. ( I’ve always been odd)

Last edited:
At the moment, our plans are to have a day at the seaside, maybe Filey in Yorkshire. I may even go for a dip in the sea.

We did this about ten years ago, thinking we were unique, only to find a two other groups of people doing exactly the same.

Lovely idea Lyn. Like you, this year, we as a family will not be meeting up in person but we will face time each other. We do miss our grandkids but best safe than sorry. I don’t know how to post music but if I did it would be Frank Sidebottom “Christmas is really fantastic”. ( I’ve always been odd)
here you are

oh. how i loved it when mom took me down the bullring at night. to see all the baraboys carts lit up with lamps.and to go in peacocks to get another hand puppet for my punch and judy collection. and on the way home pop into lewis's toy floor for a look at the toys,and wish.... how loverly then yet so sad now.... merry christmas all.

Really enjoyed the film on #8, I wonder if anyone has film of the old Woolworth in the Bull Ring, or the meat market on Christmas eve in the Bull Ring, late 50's early 60's, would be wonderful. Paul

hi paul i will see if i can find any of those for you

lyn

A very nice idea for a post, I think most of us are concerned how different this Christmas will be.
Our one Daughter is buying their tree this weekend and putting up the decorations so the grandchildren can start getting into the spirit, not sure if we will be able to see them though.
On a positive note, I have a house full of wine and bubbly from a postponed October wedding !
:party:

Love this song and Stop The Cavalry. I used to be the last one to leave at work and I left the tapes on. Over and over.They lifted me. I remember one Christmas, a girl sobbing, in the Tele Sales as she had to stay on her section too. All the other offices and works were partying or gone to the pub or home. Christmas Eve they shut at lunch time. Over the years I had to stay either to put the classified to bed when it burst or fell massively short at the Newspaper, then years later when adverts had not come in, electronically. The Paper make up if you like, the planning was in Cov and it was electronically put together and Printed in Brum after. And I was remembering then the wild Christmases in my teens there when Santa took young wanna be's in to his grotto made for the staff childrens' party. Or in the dark rooms......or the pub at the back The Old Stag, heaving, full of us lot, Equity and Law and the Posties. But I always go back to my childhood. Getting caught writing on the wallpaper to Santa where my bedroom was, afraid he couldn't get my tricycle down the chimney, the mincepie and a carrot for the reindeer. Wearing my new itchy jumper to please Nan going over to give our presents to her grandad and great gran, in the snow, having my 3 gran's together and aunty and grandad on Christmas day ay ours. Mum and dad always invited a person on their own, over the years. Grandad made 5 Christmas cakes as presents, great gran made the puddings. Spoiled me, revelling in the Christmas cracker toys, putting a plastic Hercule Poirot moustache in my nose, I always sneezed Spoiled with toys bought on tick, which I didn't realise then. Bluebird Toffees in pretty tins. School carol service. Making home made decorations....Memories. This year, if we can, my partner's older daughter and chap will come as always on the day, the younger one won't she was going to say in a hotel with the grandchildren, new baby too. Thanks for much for the post.If I think of a song I like best I will put it on or tell you.

Love this song and Stop The Cavalry. I used to be the last one to leave at work and I left the tapes on. Over and over.They lifted me. I remember one Christmas, a girl sobbing, in the Tele Sales as she had to stay on her section too. All the other offices and works were partying or gone to the pub or home. Christmas Eve they shut at lunch time. Over the years I had to stay either to put the classified to bed when it burst or fell massively short at the Newspaper, then years later when adverts had not come in, electronically. The Paper make up if you like, the planning was in Cov and it was electronically put together and Printed in Brum after. And I was remembering then the wild Christmases in my teens there when Santa took young wanna be's in to his grotto made for the staff childrens' party. Or in the dark rooms......or the pub at the back The Old Stag, heaving, full of us lot, Equity and Law and the Posties. But I always go back to my childhood. Getting caught writing on the wallpaper to Santa where my bedroom was, afraid he couldn't get my tricycle down the chimney, the mincepie and a carrot for the reindeer. Wearing my new itchy jumper to please Nan going over to give our presents to her grandad and great gran, in the snow, having my 3 gran's together and aunty and grandad on Christmas day ay ours. Mum and dad always invited a person on their own, over the years. Grandad made 5 Christmas cakes as presents, great gran made the puddings. Spoiled me, revelling in the Christmas cracker toys, putting a plastic Hercule Poirot moustache in my nose, I always sneezed Spoiled with toys bought on tick, which I didn't realise then. Bluebird Toffees in pretty tins. School carol service. Making home made decorations....Memories. This year, if we can, my partner's older daughter and chap will come as always on the day, the younger one won't she was going to say in a hotel with the grandchildren, new baby too. Thanks for much for the post.If I think of a song I like best I will put it on or tell you

Great memories Nico, thanks for sharing them!
Lynn.

A very nice idea for a post, I think most of us are concerned how different this Christmas will be.
Our one Daughter is buying their tree this weekend and putting up the decorations so the grandchildren can start getting into the spirit, not sure if we will be able to see them though.
On a positive note, I have a house full of wine and bubbly from a postponed October wedding !
:party:

ahh ahh chris...wine and bubbly..we now know who to call on then when we can :D :D :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back