• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

What do you watch on tv nowadays ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
There might be something in it. As alberta says, Cardale is supposed to be in Derbyshire. On a local Reading forum, one member now lives in a village in that area (not sure exactly where). He is retired , and as a "hobby" brings back to operation for others and himself, and shows various mechanical devices and engines. Things he says makes me feel there must still be an old world friendliness around there. Neighbours still seem to pop round , help and mingle. Local tradesmen seem to be obliging - The local steel company regularly drops off items for his hobby, or more recently, with covid, leaves them outside their door so he can pick them up at his leisure and allows him to go in on occasion (under covid), and freely rifle through their offcuts. There also seems to be an ease of getting to the doctor (no 2 week waits). Maybe I have just picked out odd things, but it does seem a bit like the TV program

There might be something in it. As alberta says, Cardale is supposed to be in Derbyshire. On a local Reading forum, one member now lives in a village in that area (not sure exactly where). He is retired , and as a "hobby" brings back to operation for others and himself, and shows various mechanical devices and engines. Things he says makes me feel there must still be an old world friendliness around there. Neighbours still seem to pop round , help and mingle. Local tradesmen seem to be obliging - The local steel company regularly drops off items for his hobby, or more recently, with covid, leaves them outside their door so he can pick them up at his leisure and allows him to go in on occasion (under covid), and freely rifle through their offcuts. There also seems to be an ease of getting to the doctor (no 2 week waits). Maybe I have just picked out odd things, but it does seem a bit like the TV program

Storyline
Peak Practice is a British drama series about a GP surgery in Cardale — a small fictional town in the Derbyshire Peak District — and the doctors who worked there. It ran on ITV from 10 May 1993 to 30 January 2002 and was one of their most successful series at the time. It originally starred Kevin Whately as Dr Jack Kerruish, Amanda Burton as Dr Beth Glover and Simon Shepherd as Dr Will Preston, though the roster of doctors would change many times over the course of the series. The series was axed on 30 January 2002 and ended on a literal cliffhanger when two of the series' main characters plunged off a cliff. Viewers wrote to ITV in their thousands and a petition for one last episode was set up by website Peak Practice Online. However, all pleas were unsuccessful and ITV said they would not make any more episodes. Cardale was based on the Staffordshire village of Longnor for the final series, but was previously based in the Derbyshire village of Crich, although certain scenes were filmed at other nearby Derbyshire towns and villages, most notably Matlock, Belper and Ashover.

Last edited:
I enjoy medical and crime dramas mostly, not keen on soaps apart from Doctors on BBC1, of course filmed in Birmingham.

Some of my favourites are:-
Criminal Minds
Greys Anatomy
Private Practice (spin off of Greys Anatomy)
Life on Mars
Ashes to Ashes
Frasier
The Big Bang Theory
How I Met Your Mother
The Joy of Painting, my lockdown guilty pleasure, I find it so relaxing
Scandi Noir
The West Wing.

I'm just about to start Series1 of The Crown on Netflix.

There’s only one person that I hate watching and he’s usually on three times a week and that’s Piers Morgan. I’ve just spent the last hour shouting at the tv as my Wife prefers ITV‘s morning programs. His personal vendettas and his obsession with talking over any guest he disagrees with is ruining a program that is better off without him.

Well said, it seems that there are no standards taught in schools these days, I suppose they are all to busy being told that they can chose one of 21 gender definitions. My wife was a teacher and is appalled by the current tv and general way of life that currently exists. Sorry old and cynical and too many hobby horses.

Bob

Well said Bob, apart from Documentaries TV is a load of twaddle repeat after repeat . Not to mention ticking boxes to suit the PC brigade

Lynn, the problem is we DO accept it by doing nothing at the polling place! The problem is the people who make this stuff (globally) have more money than most of us.
I thought it was bad un the USA on the cable channels but what is on tv in hotels in Central Europe and Asia is amazing.
I am like Pete, no prood but some of this stuff leaves nothing to the imagination.

As someone said, “silence is approval”!
some one said "silence is golden" .lol

I dont dont swear,smoke or drink,or lie.;)..... When i watch a film, i dont want to hear someone call another person a QU**R C**T it shocked me..... oh i just remember'd i have left me ruddy cigs in the pub. :D:D
[/QUOTE]
I believe it is not just a case of not "voting with our feet " but the the TV producers forgetting that TV should just be for information and entertainment and not just anything they can make money out of !

I've been enjoying the old Lancelot series in black and white on Talking Pictures TV. It's amused me to notice that the actor Derren Nesbitt appears pretty much every week as a different character. Sometimes he's a baddy and gets run through by Lancelot, only to pop up next episode as a courtier of King Arthur's, or some such, wearing a false beard! He was mistakenly credited in this series as Derry Nesbitt.

I've been enjoying the old Lancelot series in black and white on Talking Pictures TV. It's amused me to notice that the actor Derren Nesbitt appears pretty much every week as a different character. Sometimes he's a baddy and gets run through by Lancelot, only to pop up next episode as a courtier of King Arthur's, or some such, wearing a false beard! He was mistakenly credited in this series as Derry Nesbitt.
In days of
old when knights were bold this story told of Lancelot, remember it well.

The current trend of cheap to make tv featuring brain dead 'celebs' with their botox trout lips I avoid like the plague.

Every other so called 'celeb' appearing on chat shows or game shows announces themselves as a 'comedian' and that includes a large number of women who delight in telling you about their bodily functions.

They stand on stage talking about mundane things such as going shopping which results in the audience having fits of hysterical laughter, really??

Sit one person in a room with the 'comedian' and repeat the same lines and it would hardly raise a smile because the only way it appears funny is when everyone else seems to think it is.
Say to one of them 'go on then make me laugh' and most would struggle because their brand of so called comedy does not work without a big audience.

Say 'go on then make me laugh' to old timers like Les Dawson, Frank Carson, Bernard Manning etc and they would have you in stitches from the word go.
Sadly the Englishman, Irishman & Scottsman jokes are no longer allowed because it might 'offend' someone, thanks to the PC brigade we see that Noddy has lost his friend big ears, Violet Elizabeth Bott cannot say thqueem and thqueem until I'm thick and countless others have been altered in new editions.

Has anyone watched 'The Queens Gambit' on Netflix? it's brilliant and is about a young orphan girl who becomes a champion at playing Chess.

Another superb one we really enjoyed, is 'Anne with an E'

• Appreciate
Reactions: cba
I'm currently watching on Sky box sets Dexter , this tells the story of a blood spatter expert for the Florida forensics dept . Strange thing is , he's a killer himself , bringing to justice the bad people that escaped the police . This might not appeal to you but I find it entertaining , the way he always keeps one step ahead of his police colleagues

I'm currently watching on Sky box sets Dexter , this tells the story of a blood spatter expert for the Florida forensics dept . Strange thing is , he's a killer himself , bringing to justice the bad people that escaped the police . This might not appeal to you but I find it entertaining , the way he always keeps one step ahead of his police colleagues
Watched Dexter when it first came to the UK, one of the best American series I’ve watched.

For all the members who liked dick Emery there is a programme on tonight on channel 5 at 9.40 till 11.25 all about him and his funny comedy sketches give it a view its bound to put a smile on our faces!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back