• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Lichfield Road

re: your picture

I remember Mavis so well her mom used to run a small shop called Cox's It was great to see the picture. I lived across the road from her mums, at the back of a shop called Thornley's. There were three houses up our entry Mr and Mrs Williams with their daughter Diane & son Robert Then Mr and Mrs Hems, and there seven children then us in the corner house. We left after my dad died and moved to Perry Common, but I remember the closeness of this community and missed it when we moved. val:)

Litchfield Road

I remember the chip shop, and a small cafe where I used to put an old threepenny bit in the juke box in the 1950s.
There used to be an RSPCA near Aston Station. I took my cat there a few times. Litchfield Road was a brilliant place. You could buy anything on there, including a bike, and a television set from Matty's.

Thanks for the memories.:yipi:

astonlad.

Lichfield Rd

HI THERE ASTON LAD,
Nice To Hear From YouAnd That You Have Good Memories Flooding Back
YouAre Right In The Fifties Lichfield Rd Was Fantasic
I Know The Chippie YouWas About And The Cafe
So You Lived Closes To Lovers Walk,
Do You Remember TheWaste Paper Yard Across In Holbrn Hill
When We Kids Used To Knock The Door Of The Houses Around There
Collecting Old News Papers To Weigh In And Get A Florin , For It ,
Those Were The Days Hey , Old Man Matty Was A Great Bloke
I Think He Sold It To Deers Tv,s Eventualy
Nice To Hear From You
BEST WISHES ASTONIAN ;;;;

Astonian, I think your memory is playing tricks, Avenue Road, was off Aston Road North leading up to Oliver Street, some way from Holborn Hill.

Astonlad did you know the Wilkes (maybe Wilkinson) family, they were friends of my parents Poshie, Albert, Rene and John, they lived a few doors down from the pub - was it the Avenue or the Albion?

Lichfield Rd

SYLVIA

WHERE DID ASTON LAD SAID HE LIVED IN THE AVENUE RD IN HIS THREAD ?,
HE SAID HE LIVED DOWN BY ASTON STATION ,
HOLBORN HILL IS NEXT TO THE STATION ON LICHFIELD RD
THE LOVERS WALK IS ALSO NEXT TO THE STATION ,
THE AVENUE IS UP THE OTHER END OF LICHFIELD RD
AND THAT WHERE THE FLETCHER FAMILY STARTED THE CAR ACCESS;
FROM SELLING BIT OF CAR PARTS OUTSIDE THERE HOUSE .
ANND I KNOW MATTYS SHOP, THE OLD MAN
I LIVED JUST YARDS FROM HIS SHOP
ALSO IS,NT THE ALBION PUB AT THE TOP OF WHITE HOUSE ST ,?.
AM I Right or wrong ,
have a nice day , best wishes astonian ,;;;;

Avenue Road

Hi astonian.
Avenue Road was off Aston Road, next to Albion Street.
The Avenue pub was on the corner. Further along the road, going to Aston Cross, was the Lion Hall, which was used as an airaid shelter
during the blitz. Also there was the Astoria picture house.Do you know who might have some pics of Avenue Road before it was demolished.
I lived on that street from 1936
to 1958.

Best wishes.

astonlad

The Avenue

Hi Sylviasayers

The Avenue pub was on the corner of Avenue Road and Aston Road.
There was a family named Wilkes living on Avenue Road. My grandma knew them. I always thought that one of the names was Violet, but I can't be sure.

Avenue Road was almost destroyed during the blitz, and sixteen people died in one air raid just six houses above where we lived. It was a wedding party and they were all in the shelter.

However, don't want to harp on about the dark days. Just keep the memories.

I was in Brum two years ago at a school reunion in the Albion pub, which is the next street to Avenue Road. I didn't know about the demolition that had taken place, and I was shocked.

Anyway, take care. Best wishes.

astonlad

The Avenue

HI Aston lad
I Lived With My Nan In Whitehouse Street For Awhile ,AndI Went To St Mary,sSchool When I Was A Nipper, I Used To Climb Over Her Garden Wall
To Go And From School Into The Play Ground
And I Certainly Remember The Astoria ,Before It Became The Studio,s
Because I Got Knocked Down Right Outside There ,
One Saturday Afternoon, When I Came Out ,After Watching A Roy Rogers
Western Film In 1953 ,I Was An Hit And Run Driver Victim ,
They Caught HimAfew Weeks Later , So I Certainly KNow The Avenue And Holland RD And The Aston Rd , And The Lichfield Rd ,From The Old Costa Green , Back Down To Salford Bridge ,
Incidently I Think I May Have A Pic Of The Old Avenue I Will Try And Dig It Out For you ,
Do You Remembering Haveing Cocco At St Mary,s School In The Morning
And Having YOur Little Bottle Of Milk In The Afternnon,?,To Drink
My Best Mate There Was Micky Overcroft , Then We Both Went To Icknield St Hockley Brook Our Mom Got Us Bus Tokens To Get TO The School And Back On The Number Eight Bus Those Were The Days Aston;
BEST WISHES ASTONIAN ,;;;;;;

Was Holland rd down the side of the T V Studio's ? I used to know a family called the Walkers that lived there. We used to meet at her house to get ready before going to THE GOLDEN CROSS upstairs about 1962-63.

Holland Road

Hi Patty,
Yes, you are right. Holland Road was round the corner from the TV studios, which, earlier was the Astoria picturehouse.

Aston post office was on the corner of Holland Road.

Half way down Holland Road, on the right as you go down from the post office, towards Chester Street, was an entry. Half way along that entry was a wall between Holland Road and Avenue Road. All the kids used to climb the wall as a short cut between the two roads.

I wasn't living in Brum during the 60s. I left to live in Lancashire in 1958, but the memories of Aston are still vivid. I wish I had some pics of the place before they knocked it all down.

Best wishes.

astonlad.

Re: The Avenue.

Well, well, well, astonian. You have some great memories.
We from Avenue Road had a shortcut, too. We used to cross St Mary's playground and climb over the infants school gates to get to Whitehouse Street. That street had its own gang, and other kids from different streets had to be careful they didn't get beaten up. Whitehouse Street was notorious in those days. But when you got to know the kids themselves, they were ok.

I remember the cocoa, and the little bottles of school milk, which we had to put on the classroom pipes to thaw out in the winter. Oh! Happy days.

Here's one for you. Do you remember the doughnut factory on Whitehouse Street. The kids used to hang around for hours waiting for a free sample. They were the American type of doughnut, a ring with a hole in the middle. Boy, they tasted good!!

I am sorry to hear of your accident outside of the Astoria, and I'm glad you made a complete recovery. As a kid, I couldn't afford to go to the Astoria very often. I used to go the the Aston Cross cinema. It was cheaper, but it wasn't as clean.

I look forward to seeing your comments.

All the best.

astonlad.

The Avenue Pt2

Hi again astonian.

Sorry, I forgot to mention that you may have a pic of the Avenue pub.
I would certainly appreciate seeing that one, if you can dig it out.
If you can't find it, thanks for trying.

See ya.

astonlad.

Astonian. Aston Lad mentioned he lived in Avenue Road on the PDSA thread, and has since confirmed it on this thread.

Aston Lad, my dad helped to rescue that wedding party who were bombed in Avenue Road, a truly dreadful incident. The Mrs.Wilkes we knew was called Poshie, her real name was Florence but her younger siblings couldn't say Floss when they were little children and called her Poshie which stuck.

the avenue

Hi Astonlad,
Many Thanks For Your PM which I Picked Up Yesterday Evening
Owing To The Fact I Have Got To Be Spending Alot Of Time, With
My Younger Brother Whom His In His Closeing Stageing Time Of His Life
Whom Lives In B,ham , But Today I Am Back At Home In Worcester
Any Way Aston,lad, I Surely Do Remember The Days Clearly,
I Never Ever Got A Doughnut, Did You ? . As For The Gang ,Well,
They Seem To Come From The Middle And TopEnd Of The Street
When I First Moved There, I Had The Problem, But When I Was There Some time They Got To Know Me , MY Nan Kept ABig Black Dog WhomI Used To Walk Down The Street , May Be Thats Why They Was My Friends
We ProbalyCrossed Paths When We Was At St Marys Especialy Running Around ,Or Crossing The Play Ground , There Was A Couple Of Friends I Had In The Avenue Whom Lived Very Close To The School On The Same Side
One Was Micky Overcroft ,When Micky Left And Went To Live In Icknield
Street The Came To The School The Only Reason I Went To The ASTORIA
Because my Aunty Maud ,My Dads Sister Worked In The Box Office
Other wise I Could Not Afford ThePrices,On That Particular Day I,d Already
Been To The Victoria Three penny Crush Saturday morning Mattnee,
To See Roy Rogers ,Then I Dashed Down To The ASTORIA,
Where I Met My Fate ,And Ended Up With A Metal Plate In My Right Leg
For The Rest OF My LIFE, Still , Those Were The Days , Aston .
If YouBear With Me Astonlad I,LL Try And Dig Them PicsOut For You Okay /.
Have Nice Day best wishes ASTONIAN ,;;;;

William Bagley at 164 was my great uncle. Previous to him owning the shop it was run by my great grandmother - she may also have had a coffee shop next door -and is where my mother was born

was it Janet Walker Patty i went out with her for a few weeks way back in the early 60s still see her around
robb128

Hello flowershopgirl is that the same long entry to Doctor Sudki's surgery, I'm sure it must have been. I'm talking the mid to late thirties into the forties. Regards, David.

hi david yes it was and two doors away next to the entry was the coffee shop that was owned by the jelfs and her mom did buy the shop and turned it into a flower shop i have been awaiting for a reply from flower girl for a couple of years now on this site but i beleive she his no longer with us on this site unless she as changed her name i hav alot of questions i have ot to asked her regarding the connection of the shop as my mother
was told by her father that he as sold the shop to another relative whom apparently lived afew doors away fom the doctors surgey and as we only lived about two hundred yards away from her house and the coffee shop there house used to lay back off te rd she also told me of the cobbler dying afew years before my auntie but the cobbler caused such a rift between the jelf brothers that he left after afew years and went back to
liver pool as apparently thats where he came from years beforeauntieivy died as i got her will and she left himsome money and had it sent to liverpool at his residence she also said that charles was a silly man and in fact he was the man behind the jelfs empire whom built i all up from his fahers death
as from i asked questions he never came back so i though i would jump in here and answer your questins about the opening and the long
entry yes it was and it also took you through to park street and wainwright street which i can recall alot of names
henshaws whom married my cousin whom lived at nuber ten park street and the roberts and many more in wainwright st
any way dave i hope you are keeping well by the way just would like to say to our judicaters i am not slating flower girl off
in any way or form but i like to keep to facts and not make beleive stories as this is a good honest forum and i really enjoy everybodys stories
and they hold a great deal of memories of my up bring in aston ; born and bred and have family history by my ancesters
take care every body best wishes Astonian

Hi Folks has anybody got a picture of Smiths Brewery on the Lichfield Rd. my great aunt Nell lived in the hose to right of the brewery maiden name was Jukes.

Well into the 50's she still had the old gas mantels with the little white globes it really was a dim home, when her husband she went into mourning wearing and near came out of black clothes weird she was but her way had a heart of gold

Does anyone remember May's Florist of Lichfield Road, Aston, Birmingham c1953 please? I think May might have been a widow with a young son of about 10 years old.

Back