• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Swanshurst Park

Isn't it sad when you hear about things being destroyed due to vandalism.
What is it that's going on in someone's head that they get a kick out of destroying lovely amenities, provided for everyone to enjoy including themselves.
I feel a rant coming on.............! Graffetti, Litter, is there no hope.

A couple of years ago, the lake was drained for maintenance. There was still one of those fiberglass canoes at the bottom of the lake. It must a have sunk years ago.

Do not recognise the golf pics in any of these photos. I was a regular playing golf in the 90s. The course was close to swanshurt Lane entrance not the Brook Lane entrance so the faint lines area is a different place. The pitch and putt was located near the corner of the lake, as you come up swanshurst lane, turn left and with the lake on your right hand side, the entrance to the golf is on the left.

Wasn't there another golf course in the park? I have a vague recollection of a more substantial course accessed through a gate at the very far end corner of the park.

I thought that as well. The photos in post #2 seem to be on the opposite of the lake to the boathouse with Swanshurst Lane in the background. Not where I thought the pitch and putt was.

I can't remember the golf course but found a couple of pics showing myself and my dad with putting green in the background and one of my dad on the putting green taken around 1950. Was this separate from the pitch & putt?
Also remember boating on the lake and also fishing there in my teens. I think there were a few small carp together with roach and perch in there.
Dad & Me, Swanshurst Park.jpgDad Swansurst Park circa 1950.jpg

Wasn't there another golf course in the park? I have a vague recollection of a more substantial course accessed through a gate at the very far end corner of the park.

My memory [possibly 50 yrs ago!] was that if you walked along the lake away from Yardley wood Rd, you came to a gate in a wooden fence & the 2nd golf course was through the gate. The red circle on the attached map from Streetmap gives an indication of where I am thinking of. Many years later when I visited the golf course had gone and it was just open ground. Would have taken a trip to look at today but for lockdown. Does this jog any memories? Thanks. Roy

Attachments

• sp_LI.jpg
    sp_LI.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 19
My memory [possibly 50 yrs ago!] was that if you walked along the lake away from Yardley wood Rd, you came to a gate in a wooden fence & the 2nd golf course was through the gate. The red circle on the attached map from Streetmap gives an indication of where I am thinking of. Many years later when I visited the golf course had gone and it was just open ground. Would have taken a trip to look at today but for lockdown. Does this jog any memories? Thanks. Roy
Just asked my husband who played on the pitch and putt and he says you are spot on with your circle on the map.
Different from the golf in the photo in post #2

Swanshurst Park is celebrating its centenary. Apparently it opened as a park in 1923. To celebrate they have commisioned (not sure who "they" are but it may be the Friends of Swanshurst Park) a totem pole.
I first saw the log lying on the floor in the park a few months ago but as they have used logs to surround the park (in a bid to stop caravans getting on the park) I wasn't sure where it had come from.
The next time I went past it was clear someone was carving it. Then it was upright. So I did some searching.
All I could find was a facebook post from the Friends of Swanshurst Park (I don't use facebook but I was able to read a small section).

Some of you will have seen our Centenary Pole taking shape in the park. Tomorrow at 2pm (Friday 6th Oct) the Fire Service will be helping Graham - the artist creating the pole - to lift it into its permanent spot. Please do head down if you’re interested in seeing this important milestone in the creation of the latest park attraction.
Today I managed to get ome pictures. I tried to get the carving of Swanshurst but the sun was in my eyes and on one I lost the "S" and the othere I lost the "T". :D The road is on the left and the railings at the start of the lake can be seen on the right.
Swanshurst Totem 1.jpg

Last edited:
When I first saw it upright I wasn't sure if the bird on the top was one of the local residents or a carving.
Here is the answer

Attachments

• Swanshurst Totem  2.jpg
    Swanshurst Totem 2.jpg
    622.1 KB · Views: 4
  • Swanshurst Totem  6.jpg
    Swanshurst Totem 6.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 4
Back