• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Alma Street, Six Ways, Aston

I don’t recall your name. What number did you live at? There was another Jennings family that lived on Alma Street in a bacon house towards Six Ways. I think their father was called Harold. My Dad knew him from Aston Cross. However he was no relation to our family.
I was at 41 next door to the sweet shop, so maybe it was the other family I remember.

We girls wore liberty bodices in the fifties, they had rubber buttons and they would break if they were put through my nan’s mangle. I remember turning the big wheel and an adult would put the washing between the rollers
At a tender age, no older brothers or sisters to ask, I was curious why girls had liberty bodices and not boys. Of couse after examinations (later known as the 11 plus) and a new school, the picture became far more clearer. :laughing:

i was born in alma street in 1945 and lived there until 1964. i lived at 135 where mom used to wash in the brew house every monday as that was her day and yes she did use a mangle a bloomin' great thing and hung her wash in the square where we also played

Wonderful photo I had a copy but lost it some years ago. It was taken about 1956\57 I am 3rd in from the left in the check dress Janet Sitch I can recognise a few others. The teacher was Mrs Osbaldistan. I left the school in 1958 when we moved to Smethwick. Our doctor was Dr Humphries was our family doctor back to my grandparents
i also remember Dr Humphreys and his wife, you saw the doctor much quicker than you do these days

hello ccbee welcome to the forum...nice to meet someone else from alma street...if you have any photos of your days living there we would love to see them

all the best

lyn

thank you for your welcome, unfortunately i do not have any photos of my old life, in fact i don't have any photos of my present life how sad am i?

Hi all You Alma St. people had a great time looking at the piccies - we used to live at No.52 right next door to the shoe menders next to that was a shop owned by Fosters where us kids used to go and buy mars bars (which incidentally were too big for us to finish in one go - reckon they've made em smaller now) I was born there and we left about 1962 to go to Kingstanding, mom and dad used to use the Alma Tavern and the Sally. Our name was Broadfield anyone know us??
My Mom, lived in Alma Street. Her name was Broadfield as well. She lived at number 50a, her parents were Charles and Frances May Broadfield. My mom was one of fourteen children. I remember her talking about an uxb landing outside her house but didn't go off during WW2.

Hi dlkrt100, We lived at No.52 Alma street I was born in 1944 and we lived there until 1962 - ish,my Dad's name was Charles Broadfield and mom was Rosina Broadfield, me - Diane and brothers Roy and Terry. Had forgotten all about the outdoor until you mentioned it and mrs cottrell, do not remember the bike shop. Do you remember the boot repairers (next door to us) and Fosters shop next door to boot repairs. There was a lovely girl used to live over the road from us her name was anne shephard she had a brother called stan. Who else do you remember have you seen the picture of the salutation and the alma tavern on the site?
Hello, my mom was your dad's sister. She was Iris Sylvia Broadfield.

mike if you spot this post is it possible to see a map please showing no 89 i believe it was joe wheelers bookies in the 60s...thanks mike

lyn

thanks mike...if any of joe wheelers rellies are looking in i have a small pocket book calculator thats works out horse racing winnings it has his name on the front...i am happy to pop it in the post if they would like it...dated on the front 1967....he also had a betting shop in hatchett st

lyn

Last edited:
Anyone remember the boards in the street that advertised the films showing at local cinemas? These actual boards were in Alma street, just around the corner from Whitehead Street in 1967 showing "A Fistful of Dollars".Alma St.jpg
It was in 1962 on these very boards that me and my mate saw the poster for Dr No. We had never heard of this James Bond bloke and we thought it was a sex film because of the women on the poster and our interpretation of "Doctor?.......NO!" So, off we went to the pictures with great anticipation. Needless to say, it wasn't what we thought but it was nonetheless a great film.
BOND 007 poster.jpg

Anyone remember the boards in the street that advertised the films showing at local cinemas? These actual boards were in Alma street, just around the corner from Whitehead Street in 1967 showing "A Fistful of Dollars".View attachment 149738
It was in 1962 on these very boards that me and my mate saw the poster for Dr No. We had never heard of this James Bond bloke and we thought it was a sex film because of the women on the poster and our interpretation of "Doctor?.......NO!" So, off we went to the pictures with great anticipation. Needless to say, it wasn't what we thought but it was nonetheless a great film.
View attachment 149740
Yes I know how you felt but I was the opposite to you in 1974 I went with my boyfriend to see a double bill at the abc Bristol rd confessions of a window cleaner and Emmanuel which I thought was an unusual pairing of films as I thought Emmanuel was a holy film about nuns as my boyfriend told me .Needless to say when it came
on I choked on my POPCORN!!!

Mrs. Jones she had a mangle
She did turn it with a handle
She did turn it with such pow'r
She did forty sheets an hour.

Did you ever see
Did you ever saw
Did you ever see such a funny thing before?

There's a little pub in Wales
Where they sell the best of ales
If you want a drink on Sunday
You will have to wait till Monday.

Oh I had a brother Rupert
He did play full back for Newport
But whilst playing at Llanelly
They did kick him in the belly.

Oh I had a brother Ikey
Who did ride a motor bikey
And he said he rode to Gower
In a quarter of an hour.

Then I had a sister Phyllis
Who did work at Pontardulais
But the boss he had to sack her
'Cos he caught her chewing 'bacca.

Oh I had a brother Trevor
He was very, very clever
He could play upon the fiddle
Up the sides and down the middle.

Oh I had a sister Anna
She did play the grand pianna
When she played full presto
All the buttons fly off her vesto
I knew the last verse to say She would go hammer hammer hammer, till the neighbours cried god damn her!

Re: Williams's shop - Alma St.

diane is my sister but she wasnt born when we left alma street .sorry i dont have any photos i wish i had as i try to explain to my grandchildren about our house in alma street.

Hi dlkcrt,

I was wondering if your sister is Diane Young?

Susan

alma st

do you remember the williams family the old man ran a shop in Alma st

am trying to find soem photos .

Hi Colin,

I too am looking for information about the Williams family who lived at 117 Alma Street. May I ask if you are a relation of the Williams?

Susan

I was at 41 next door to the sweet shop, so maybe it was the other family I remember.

Hi

The other Jennings family, lived a little further down the street from you and up the street from me. We lived in the middle section of the street between Gerrard Street and Clifford Street. We were next door to The Alma Tavern. My dad did know Harold Jennings near to you but they were not related. My dad said Harold was from a family of boys that lived down Aston Cross. It could have been Catherine Street.
I occasionally went up the top end of Alma Street near where you lived. My school friend Georgina Glenn lived on the opposite side of the street to you. I can’t recall the number of her house but it was up an entry. Georgina had a neighbour that was French!
I do recall the sweet shop called Edie’s. We used to buy something called a Dainty. It was a chocolate and coconut covered delicacy. The equivalent of todays snowball. They were delicious!

Best wishes
Linda

Hi

The other Jennings family, lived a little further down the street from you and up the street from me. We lived in the middle section of the street between Gerrard Street and Clifford Street. We were next door to The Alma Tavern. My dad did know Harold Jennings near to you but they were not related. My dad said Harold was from a family of boys that lived down Aston Cross. It could have been Catherine Street.
I occasionally went up the top end of Alma Street near where you lived. My school friend Georgina Glenn lived on the opposite side of the street to you. I can’t recall the number of her house but it was up an entry. Georgina had a neighbour that was French!

oh gosh i can get through a box of 6 snowballs no problem but they dont half make a mess lol

lyn
I do recall the sweet shop called Edie’s. We used to buy something called a Dainty. It was a chocolate and coconut covered delicacy. The equivalent of todays snowball. They were delicious!

Best wishes
Linda

Hi

Best wishes
Linda
Hi, its amazing how we remember the sweets isnt it, I liked pink Kalai and black jacks 4 for a penny, Dont know if I could bring myself to eat the licorice stick that looked like a twig off a tree now!

Back