• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Smith Street 1914

I found the date on Familysearch where there is a transcript. Did you register and search? Will post later.
There was no restriction when I went to the archives - I was able to copy my Dad's baptism from 1927 and several marriage certs.

Thank you , i am on family search, ill go and try to find it. I hope your right about the records in that the 110 year rule isnt a new thing.
Thanks again for all your help.

I cant find him, familysearch is tricky to navigate, found a few baptisms for alfred james savage but thats all unfortunitely

1602526568463.png

With respect to your request I would wait and see if you get a reply, as opposed to an automated reply. It might take a while as there is only one person and I think they are only there once or twice a week.

Just realised he seems to have been baptised as Albert not Alfred (or at least transcribed as that) but the dates are right and the parents names fit. However, it does not name the church - but I thought only St Chads were online.

The archives suggest the record should be on Find My Past but I can't find it there. Hope I haven't misled you.

Last edited:
According to the Archdiocese website:
A decision of the Bishops’ Conference of England and Wales, endorsed by the Archbishop of Birmingham, places a 110-year closure period on all sacramental records. All our sacramental registers have been digitised and are available to view on the Find My Past website.

It looks as if the records are closed - not sure when that rule came in. I assume you can apply for your own records if needed but presumably on proof of identity. So you may not be able to get a copy.
Until 1960 the whole form for each record was in Latin not just the names.

That would be upsetting if we cant get it but fingers crossed its an error. Can you tell me pjmburns, was there a catholic school attached to saint chads in 1914?
Thanks again for everything.

There was and still is a primary school called St Chad's. In 1914 it was in Shadwell Street - now in Hospital Street.

I must point out that I am not 100% that is is St Chad's - looking at their address this is the most likely church.

Hello again everybody. Im hoping to get advice on english birth certs today. I received my grandfathers in the post and im just wondering if its a standard english birth cert. It says on it its a copy of an entry of birth and looks like a church registry. Is there some way for me to order a full birth certificate or is that what i already have.
Thank you for any help
It wont allow me to upload a pic as it says its too big.

Hello again everybody. Im hoping to get advice on english birth certs today. I received my grandfathers in the post and im just wondering if its a standard english birth cert. It says on it its a copy of an entry of birth and looks like a church registry. Is there some way for me to order a full birth certificate or is that what i already have.
Thank you for any help
It wont allow me to upload a pic as it says its too big.

Looks like a proper birth certificate to me. Is it the mention of St Mary's? As it says this a sub-district of Bham, some of which would have been named after a church. Doesn't mean the birth/baptism had anything to do with the church it was named after.

i have just noticed that the birth was registered some 7 weeks after birth so it could be that although alfred was born in the parish of st marys (which was around the whittall st area very near to smith st) by the time his birth was registered they had moved to smith st and so this address was put down....on my dads birth cert he is down as born in hingeston st ladywood but we know for certain that he was born in his grandparents pub in hospital st newtown...his birth was registered nearly 7 weeks after his birth by which time his grandparents had moved from the hospital st pub to a pub in hingeston st... its just a thought that the parents just put down where they were living at the time they registered the birth..would you happen to have annie and philip savage on the 1911 census ronan

lyn

Last edited:
It is definitely a full birth certificate, as has been said, many districts are named after the main C of E church in the area.
As for the delay - could be a number of reasons - baby or Mother ill, moving house as Lyn said, debate over name.

Thanks to all for the answers and for turning the image. Was hoping for more from the birth cert (not sure what exactly) id say there is a high possibility they were moving from one house to another as i think they just landed in birmingham before the birth.
Lyn they were in ireland in 1911 so no census over there for them, how easy that might make things if there was.
I also thought they may have been lodging in someones house in smith st but maybe the seven week gap indicates thats where they settled for a period.
I also heard from the birmingham archive which will email me the baptisimal cert once i send them certain details, so ill let you all know how that goes.
Thanks to all of you again for your help, its really appreciated.

always happy to help and yes please keep us informed as we love to know how things turn out...it could turn out he was baptised at st marys church and if its the one i think it is its no longer there...demolished 1920s

lyn

Back