• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Lennox Street

phil can you do me a favour please..can you save any of those photos and then see if you can view it on your pc because i cant..its saying the file has been renamed?

cheers

Hi Lyn, I think PB are having problems because the watermarked images are appearing then not appearing.
I'm on an iPad at the moment but will switch on my laptop and upload the pics without watermarks.
Phil

Here are the pics ... after you have put them back either from your own files or from here, you can delete this post.
I'm not sure whether I have the captions correct ... will have to check
Grove Terrace
Lennox_Street_-_Grove_Terrace_Newtownlyn_-_15-11-1965.jpg
Jubilee Ave
Lennox_Street_-_Jubilee_Av_Newtownlyn_-_15-11-1965.jpg
Back of 49-51
Lennox_Street_Back_of_49-51_Newtownlyn_-_15-11-1965.jpg
Back of No 37
Lennox_Street_Back_of_No_37_Newtownlyn_-_15-11-1965.jpg
Backyard
Lennox_Street_Back_Yard_Newtownlyn_-_15-6-1967.jpg
Numbers 2-20
Lennox_Street_No_2-20_Newtownlyn_-_12-6-1967.jpg
Numbers 98-100
Lennox_Street_No_98-100_Newtownlyn_-_18-10-1961.jpg
Numbers 102-228 from Clifford St
Lennox_Street_No_102-228_-_From_Clifford_Streetlyn_-_6-3-1968.jpg
Numbers 102-228 towards Clifford St
Lennox_Street_No_102-228_towards_Clifford_Street_Newtownlyn_-_11-3-1965.jpg
Numbers 115-143 from Clifford St
Lennox_Street_No_115-143_from_Clifford_Street_Newtownlyn_-_4-3-1968.jpg
Numbers 134-160 from Gerrard St
Lennox_Street_No_134_-160_From_Gerrard_Streetlyn__-_6-3-1968.jpg
Rear of Lennox St
Lennox_Street_Rear_of__Newtownlyn_-_15-6-1967.jpg
Lennox St - Gerrard St
Newtown_-_Lennox_Street_-_Gerrard_Streetzt_23-7-1968.jpg
Brook Tavern
BrookTavern.jpg
Taken from Gerrard St
Image2.jpg
Title not known
Image1.jpg

Last edited:
I've just added the Brook Tavern ... had to fight PB to get it …:grinning:
Edit addition showing Photobucket's reason for watermarks
Proudly Hosted on Photobucket watermark
Photobucket hosts over 30 million images for free every day! In order to keep our basic hosting services absolutely free for all members, we overlay a “proudly hosted on Photobucket” watermark on all images that are displayed by our free members on sites other than photobucket.com.
By watermarking images, we are able to reduce our brand marketing expenses to offset our bandwidth costs. Everyone wins!
If you prefer your images to remain watermark-free, we invite you to upgrade to one of our affordable plans that includes enhanced hosting services starting at $4.03/month (billed annually)

Last edited:
Are you sure of the surname Salmon? I can find no trace of them. Sylvia Caulkin, born 1957 (with twin[?] brother Alfred and older siblings John born 1952 and Janet born 1950) lived with parents Ernest and Irene (nee Hoye) Caulkin at 10 Jubilee Avenue, Lennox Street at the time.
Hi Lloyd, thanks for the info on the fire in Lennox street. The person who is mentioned in the newspaper clipping with my sister Carol was Mrs Irene Caulkin so you are on the right trail for sure. The two kids who died were named Salmon and the fire was in a terraced house in Lennox street, Lozells. I only have a part of the newspaper clipping but can see something about a 3 month old child who was possibly rescued but cant be sure.Thanks again to anyone who might remember this incident.

I do remember Gough Terrace but not McCarthy Buildings. I would like to get hold of a sreet map for about 1940, it would help jog my memory. Lennox Street no longer exists as I knew it. In 1965 the council decided that we lived in slums, bulldozed the lot and moved everyone to Chemsley Wood on the outskirts of Birmingham.

I do remember Gough Terrace but not McCarthy Buildings. I would like to get hold of a sreet map for about 1940, it would help jog my memory. Lennox Street no longer exists as I knew it. In 1965 the council decided that we lived in slums, bulldozed the lot and moved everyone to Chemsley Wood on the outskirts of Birmingham.
[ hi sparks we lived in one of the back to backs but moved to kings norton great memories of Lennox st

I think you must mean the horses further up street on left but in my nans grove terrace there was a lady who kept a horse in the garden poor thing, I remeber Janet sitch used to play games with cannot remember what no she lived at where you on a photo for the queens coronation I still have it see if I can get it on here.
I still keep in contact with Janet Weir dont know if you remember her, my dad used to run the football team at the Brook tavern also local sweep.
I would like to see a photo of the coronation party in Lennox St I lived at No 2/48 my sisters name is Pat and my name is John, we moved out to Kings Norton in 1956.

I used to live at 8/29 Lennox Street in the late 40's early 50's before we all moved to Kings Norton. Our family name was Overthrow, three girls Brenda, Pauline and Joan. Mum and Dad where Joseph and Rose. I wonder if anyone had any photos, or remembers our family? Such a long time ago!

hello pauline and welcome to the forum...have you read all of this thread as there are quite a few old photos of the street on it..

lyn

Hi
I'm new to this site so not sure how this works. My family lived in Lennox Street in 1957. I think they lived next door to a pub and they lived at No 51. Would anyone know the name of this pub or have any photographs please. Apparently my mom did the washing in the brew house.

Macdog,

I've just been through the whole of Lexxox Street, its places, terraces, & buildings, by address, and there is definitely no family that corresponds to your Wattons. However, there is an unoccupied house that, if they were numbered would probably be number 2 Sutton Place, Lennox Street. So my guess is that the enumerator had probably been around a short while before your family actually moved in. That's the best I can do for you I'm afraid.

Maurice :cool:

Last edited:
Thanks so much to both of you. Having visual information really brings the stories I heard as a child to life.
Best wishes
Alison

Macdog,

I've just been through the whole of Lexxox Street, its places, terraces, & buildings, by address, and there is definitely no family that corresponds to your Wattons. However, there is an unoccupied house that, if they were numbered would probably be number 2 Sutton Place, Lennox Street. So my guess is that the enumerator had probably been around a short while before your family actually moved in. That's the best I can do for you I'm afraid.

Maurice :cool:
Many thanks for this Maurice. It was very good of you to go to so much trouble. I be
ieve your explanation of what happened with the enumerator makes sense. i really appreciate all your efforts.

It looks like that Edwin and Eliza had a daughter, Eliza Ann, registered Jun qtr 1871 (died 1872). Might be a dfferent address on her birth certificate.

Back