• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Bishopsgate Street

Hi lynn and sandra many thanks for the memories of yester year
regarding the street and the surrounding area of william street and the rest of the area
because after the war we used to go around those streets searching for war items and any german helmets
and gas masked which we found plenty of but also because times was hard we used to go and take out the old window bombs as we called them as kids they was the iron weights for the window sachets there would be for in each window frame in every window in the house top and bottom back and front we would take a babys high pram and go and get them from all the surrounding streets as they was always half bombed out or cleared from public
living in them we made a fortune we would run around with them piled high around to the clarke family whom ran the scrap yard in ledsam street we would get a florin for each indivisual one
and secondly to sandra billy and colin was old friends of mine and i recall colin with is bike most definately and
dear old billy the things we got up to along with billy hollond and great old friend ronnie langford whom i would dearly like to meet up with thats if he his still alive last heard of in king standing i do not know of billy
whether he his still around or passed on i heard 212 moths ago that one of his kids got killed in relands trobles years ago but i do not know whether is alive billy hollond i beleive set up the council meats delivery to them and the schools his offices was in nelson st not far from the old site
thanks girls for the memory of yesterday years life is sweet and life is grand and its a grand life if you do not weaken
have a nice day guys and happy new year to you all best wishes astonion alan

Hello - anyone got any pics of Bishpsgate st, off Broad st. I stayed there sometimes in the sixties with my grandparents most memorably the night the news came on the tv that JFK had been shot - 1963. We were next to the corner shop on the corner of Tennant st I think opposite the pub.

Hi There tjhh

Have you tried the search engine as I'm sure there are photos of Bishopsgate St on the forum. However they might not have been replaced so take a look at these in the meantime as I think I have only posted one of them before, but I'm not sure on what thread.

Phil

Attachments

• Ladywood Bishopsgate St.jpg
    Ladywood Bishopsgate St.jpg
    165.5 KB · Views: 46
  • Ladywood Bishopsgate St (2).jpg
    Ladywood Bishopsgate St (2).jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 42
  • Ladywood Bishopsgate St (3).jpg
    Ladywood Bishopsgate St (3).jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 43
  • Ladywood Bishopsgate St (4).JPG
    Ladywood Bishopsgate St (4).JPG
    53.6 KB · Views: 43
  • s .jpg
    s .jpg
    141.1 KB · Views: 42
I was born in No 3 Bishops Avenue, named John, with my sister Jean. I think weplayed as children. Next door to us was the Wrencher`s who had a daughter called Nina. There was the Coughflins next to them. The Evans lived at the bottom of Bishops Avenue.
Jacksons had the shop at the bottom of the avenue. Welshes were another neighbour. Browns and Collins were another.
I remember the air raid shelters. The coronation was fun, I was at the Kings Arms and the Anchor in Tennant street.
Mosses had a shop in Bishopsgate street, with Alan and Michael their sons.
Monks had a factory across the way who made window frames.

I was born in No 3 Bishops Avenue, named John, with my sister Jean. I think weplayed as children. Next door to us was the Wrencher`s who had a daughter called Nina. There was the Coughflins next to them. The Evans lived at the bottom of Bishops Avenue.
Jacksons had the shop at the bottom of the avenue. Welshes were another neighbour. Browns and Collins were another.
I remember the air raid shelters. The coronation was fun, I was at the Kings Arms and the Anchor in Tennant street.
Mosses had a shop in Bishopsgate street, with Alan and Michael their sons.
Monks had a factory across the way who made window frames.

Hello Millacaterpill welcome , I lived in William St from 1955-1969 brilliant times indeed

It was Coronation Day when my father, Bert Kelsall, sat me on the bar in the Kings Arms and gave me a banana. Then back into Bishops Avenue to watch the ceremony on a 9inch telly !
I was born in Bishops Avenue, No7, just after the war. My Great Grandma Round who previously lived there would tell me her chidhood memories of when she went to see Buffalo Bills Wild West Show.
Does anyone remember Bisops Avenue, the air raid shelters. The hardware shop in Astoness' photo's was on one corner and a grocers on the other. Opposite the Kings Arms.
Regards Paul

We played together as children, as I lived at No.3 in Bishops avenue with my sister Jean. My father was Dick Millar. we moved to Bartley Green in 1955.
Regards John

I went out with a bloke called billy evans and his brother colin who lived in bishopsgate street in 1960's.colin had a motorbike and we used to bomb down to stratford upon avon .to meet with other bikers and the weir....colin looked like a young john lennon ....billy was a brilliant dancer .we met at the west end ballroom.in birmingham..the holiday inn is built on the site now ....anyone remember barbara knight my dance partner at west end ,,,wonder where she is now .she lived opposite the brook pub behind the bank ,bournbrook nr selly oak,...
Good times !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I lived two doors away from the Evans`s in Bishops Ave, Bishopsgate street. I played with Colin when we were children in the Avenue. Can`t remember Barbara Knight, sorry.

i have about 17 photos of bishopsgate street...if anyone is interested i am happy to post them for you

lyn

I guess this is the only building still standing from that period:

Attachments

• TheBullsHead-CornerofBishopgateSt&TennantSt.jpg
    TheBullsHead-CornerofBishopgateSt&TennantSt.jpg
    845.5 KB · Views: 21

Lyn pic no 148906 Parkes paper shop , Mrs P smoked like a trooper always one stuck in the corner of her mouth . Every Saturday morning for me I used to buy one of those twisted Choc Stix like a twisted barley stick but chocolate running through the centre , plus a copy of the Topper or Beezer that was me set for the rest of the day when I finished my errands. Next pic 148915 you can just see what was the chip shop next to the pub behind the lampost , that was owned and managed by Jack Wood his brother Jim used to run and owned the chip shop lower down William St facing Stoke St . Great days indeed , Thanks Lyn

Back