• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Bartletts Court KEY HILL mid 19thc

Hello - I have found from a 1840s census that my great gandparents lived at the above which I understand is Key Hill or Key Mile. I understand from looking at old maps that there was a Bartletts Building - but this may have been built later. I know from research that the courts were back to back houses with a courtyard and that this has probably long gone, but does this ring a b ell with anyone?

Hello Catherine,

Welcome to the Forum.

Can you place the name involved on the 1841 Census - it obviously is not Montgomery - so that we can check & perhaps produce a map for you. Many thankls.

Maurice :cool:

Hi Catherine,

Thank you. And the address of several of the households there is Bartlets Court (only one T), Key Hill. Perhaps when Mikejee comes along he can produce a map for you. There are no numbers on the Court or on Key Hill in 1841. Cheers, Mike.
The next named building appears to be Standley Court. Fortunately it's a fairly short road.

EDIT: Actually they are still there in 1851 and by then it appears to be 11 Key Hill (maybe, assuming they didn't move house).

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum Catherine.
Courts were not always back to backs, though very often so. The c1889 map below show Bartlett's buildings (2 ts) The red marker indicates where no 11 Key hill is. I am not clear if the Term Bartlett's buildings refers just to those houses in front of the wording (coloured in red) or the whole group. But there is also a map c1860 which does not name the buildings, but numbers all the houses in that surrounding area together, and so perhaps all these were at one time given that name. Of course 1841 is some time before 1860, so perhaps the "court" was smaller then, but later enlarged,, and in doing so changed its name.

map c1889 showing Bartletts buildings.jpgkey%20hill 1860.jpg

Many thanks, Mike. It looks at first glance that they may merely have moved from a back house to one on the main road, but, as you say, we can be certain of nothing really.

Maurice.
If you go back on the 1851 census from no 11, you get 11 residences in Stanley building, then one that looks like Causes building which is unoccupied, then no 20 Bartletts building, going back 19,18.... So maybe the group on the c1889 map immediately behind no 11 were Stanley buildings, and the little triangle of houses at the top (the older ones) were Bartletts buildings.

catherine i have some rare photos of typical court houses in key hill that would have been there when your gt grandparents lived there pretty sure i have not posted them before ...if you would like me to post them just say at least they would give you a sense of what they were like and if you dont mind i have added key hill to the title of the thread

lyn

Last edited:
Looking in the papers the first mention of Bartlett's Buildings is around 1857, and the last about 1871. In 1871 there are several adverts for No 32, and in 1869 for No.15 and No 27.

So it could be that Bartlett's refers to all dwelling accessed from “Party Road"

Note that the next street off Key Hill on the North side is Albert Street on the 1860 Map but Hadley Street on the 1889. It appears still to be Albert Street in the 1883 Kelly's.

Back