• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

VE Day on Arlington Road, Yardley wood

Which school did you go to Maypolebaz?. I lived in Highters Rd. and went to Grendon Rd. school, then Wheelers Lane. a bit older than ou hough, was born in "37.

Hello John, my cousins lived in Grendon Road and went to that school. Valerie Smith, Pat Smith and their brother Carl. Val was born around 1940 and Pat around 41 with Carl coming in in 45 I think. I remember The Dell behind their house and the farmer bringing his cows along Grendon Road and up to The Dell - My, how funny that seems today, cows walking along a road in a residential area. Houses were built there soon after we left.

Hello Shortie. I dont recall your cousins but probably knew them, do remember the cows on the dell though as I used to walk across the dell to get to school, and we used to play football over there and fish for newts in the pond, as you say difficult to believe these days.

I went to Highters Heath, then Wheelers Lane.

A couple of my mates were nearer your age and went to Grendon Road school.

I wonder if the names Brian Brittle Tony Owen or Roy Herbert ring any bells ?

The Love of My Life (for a while !), lived in Aldbury Rd.

The name Roy Herbert rings a bell, I have sent this on to a mate of mine who I met when we started school together in 1942, Micheal Terry, he has a much better memory than me, small world isn,t it.

i went over to berry mound we also went to the sand pits we played on old oil tanks from big lorries & back across the pit for hr happy days

Was there any military point at Berry Mound (Mount) during II World War? I found a lot of anti-tank defences there and alos something like demolished bunker.
It seems that there was also some narrow gauge railway. Just look at the pictures, any info about this?

When we moved to the area in 1973, there was still a number of derelict building there which belonged to the quarry, understand the area was used as a spoil tip from the quarry, never heard of any anti-aircraft installations in the area.

Colin

I never noticed those remains when I used to go over Berry Mound, there again I don't suppose I'd have noticed them. That looks like a slab of iron, I wonder what that was used for ?
I've checked and there wasn't an AA site there. I was wondering if there would've been a pillbox of one sort or another, it would have had a good field of fire.

Mooching about on the web, I came across a picture of a pillbox with slabs of iron mounted either side of the embrasure.
I imagine they would cut down the risk of enemy shots ricocheting inside.
The slabs in the picture look very like the one on Berry Mount.

Welcome to the Forum, PeterMaryMcphee, and thanks for your first contribution.

Is there any way you could tell us how to pick out your mum and her siblings? (The same goes for Nikki's relatives, as and when she next looks at this thread).

Chris

I went to Highters Heath, then Wheelers Lane.

A couple of my mates were nearer your age and went to Grendon Road school.

I wonder if the names Brian Brittle Tony Owen or Roy Herbert ring any bells ?

The Love of My Life (for a while !), lived in Aldbury Rd.

My Fathers Name is Brian Brittle, he had an elder Brother called Ronnie... and 3 sisters

Was your Dad tall, maybe had red hair ? I remember exchanging a couple of emails with him, some years ago. If he does remember Roy Herbert perhaps you could tell him I've heard that Roy passed away last year.

Sorry not the right chap then , to be honest didn't think he fitted into that area but was worth a try. Dad didn't have Red Hair and im afraid he wouldn't even know how to email.

Stay Safe

I never noticed those remains when I used to go over Berry Mound, there again I don't suppose I'd have noticed them. That looks like a slab of iron, I wonder what that was used for ?
I've checked and there wasn't an AA site there. I was wondering if there would've been a pillbox of one sort or another, it would have had a good field of fire.
Not an AA site but I read this morning on an archeological site that Berry Mound was used by the 24th Battalion Home Guard (Moseley) during WW2, but that's all it says.

Was there any military point at Berry Mound (Mount) during II World War? I found a lot of anti-tank defences there and alos something like demolished bunker.
It seems that there was also some narrow gauge railway. Just look at the pictures, any info about this?

Do you still have those pictures ? Berry Mound was used by the Home Guard in WW2

Back